Living up to his convictions: Suthep Thaugsuban

Lite Beer

Regarded as a generous and dependable politician . . .

1995 - Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 11 wealthy families

2009 - Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government and resigned to avoid being disqualified but continued as Deputy PM etc

The tip of the iceberg. A very honorable and dependable man. Not.

on that land titles, in my (limited) understanding: They gave land titles to people without titles who stay on on the land for a long time already. And it happens that also some wealthy families stayed on some land since a long time. You can't make a law and exclude everyone with xxx.000 Baht on the bank account. How about PTP gave tax free cars to rich families?? That first car initiative also gives a tax break for rich people the same as for poor.

And no court found something wrong with Suthep in these land cases.

If that is all Suthep did wrong than he would be the cleanest politician of Thailand.

Because the court was held in the South which is Democrat Party territory.

If Thaksin would have been charged in Chiang Mai for the Rachada land plot, he would be today a free men as well.

You imply that the court that convicted Thaksin for a blatant fraud was politically motivated in its decision? That accusation could be construed as a serious contempt of court, unless you have evidence to support it. Do you? The facts in that case seem simple enough.

Or are you claiming the court that convicted him was right but that a court in Chiang Mai wouldn't have? In which case, that is a slur in them.

Remember, Thaksin was found innocent on the "honest mistake" case even though one judge later admitted he thought him guilty but gave him a chance as he was the country's PM.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Democrat Party won elections in 13 September 1992, shortly after Black May, and formed a government. Suthep became Agriculture Minister. As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients.

So 11 out of the 489 that were given the land had money.

What a disgrace.

That means only 478 that were not rich got land

Never would have occurred to anyone that those with money had just as much claim as the 478 others.

I suspect that if you were to make a list of the present PT MP's and cabinet ministers who have a worse history it would fill a book.

• Like 2

The Democrat Party won elections in 13 September 1992, shortly after Black May, and formed a government. Suthep became Agriculture Minister. As part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 (สปก.4-01) land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients.

So 11 out of the 489 that were given the land had money.

What a disgrace.

That means only 478 that were not rich got land

Never would have occurred to anyone that those with money had just as much claim as the 478 others.

I suspect that if you were to make a list of the present PT MP's and cabinet ministers who have a worse history it would fill a book.

Yes, i am sure that is the correct reason!!!

Corruption, money, vote-buying, you name it - all these go together as a part of the political culture in Thailand, and always have done, and in all parties. It is a long way off before it is rid. This is Thailand, so please remember that. Therefore, it is a fact that nearly all, if not all, politicians have been in some bent in their course of duty. And so, it is relevant to make comparisons of how actually bent politicians are, and how low they have actually stooped.

So Suthep made a few bob from some land. Part and parcel of the position - historically and nowadays. Things aren't going to change that dramatically, hence stop looking at it with a western view. Suthep never killed anybody, nor ordered many to kill thousands. As a result, he has every right to call down the PTP and Thaksin, as they have committed much worse atrocities that any Democrat.

-mel.

I respect your loyalty to your chosen cleaner than clean yet I am worldly enough to know that your faith in people Like Khun Suthep and leader of the opposition Khun Abhisit and their tricky allies not to be plausible.
  • Like 1

How in earth can anyone believe that this low intelligent person Suthep T is better than Khun Thaksin. Digg him and see + responsible for killing 91 people's + what he's doing now massmanupolation , breaking the law every day !!!!!

Chris, Suthep has a degree from a US University. You suggest he is low intelligent.

Where did you get your degrees - bachelor, masters and doctorate ?

• Like 1

How in earth can anyone believe that this low intelligent person Suthep T is better than Khun Thaksin. Digg him and see + responsible for killing 91 people's + what he's doing now massmanupolation , breaking the law every day !!!!!

Chris, Suthep has a degree from a US University. You suggest he is low intelligent.

Where did you get your degrees - bachelor, masters and doctorate ?

Why do you suggest that possession of a degree is a demonstration of how intelligent some one is (but that's a whole different story) ?

Edited by fab4

For once, in a very rare blue moon, I have to disagree with you TAH. In Thailand, to even become close to being a politician one has to have used ignoble means to even get close. It is a part and parcel, as I said above, of Thai politics. Once in position, opportunities of using bent methods for personal gain are a norm, and, unfortunately, this is so in-depth it does apply to virtually, and if not, all. So they are all bent, and making money from deals pertaining to their own functions and departments. (Yes, we hope for change but that day is very far away from present). Thus, I believe we do have to compare bent actions, and who is the lesser evil or gratuitous.

Suthep may well be slimy, vicious even and wholly corrupt. However, when compared to what's on offer from the PTP, wouldn't you prefer Abhisit?

Suthep is not running for crowning glory as a leader of the Democrats, he is simply trying to erode what's left of the mess PTP has made for itself, and I fully support his role in this, even if he has defilement records against him - please tell me a member of the house who doesn't/ or hasn't engaged in bent actions for personal gain?

Suthep is a far cry from Nittiwit, Chaleropops, and Unlucky shopping, to name but a meagre few, - surely - when it comes to being bent and striking it rich from the very essence of the very poor?

-mel.

Too much focus on individuals. Would I prefer Abhisit as a personal politician over a Shinawatra - sure. Unfortunately the choice is between on the one hand an anti-democratic alliance of military, rich and other unmentionables bent on preserving a them-and-us society and on the other hand whoever else happens to be lining up to take them on for whatever reason.

Not an attractive choice, but re-voting in a puppet (talking about Abhisit, who no doubt had fine ideals but seemed unable to do anything to advance the plight of the sub-class) will do nothing to advance Thailand as a developing nation.

If Thailand cannot find a political alliance that will genuinely build consensus and promote a democratic option that will give hope to all sectors of Thai society, then history tells us that the next step on the path is likely to be Revolution.

Not red, nor Yelllow

Kantharalak

• Like 1

For once, in a very rare blue moon, I have to disagree with you TAH. In Thailand, to even become close to being a politician one has to have used ignoble means to even get close. It is a part and parcel, as I said above, of Thai politics. Once in position, opportunities of using bent methods for personal gain are a norm, and, unfortunately, this is so in-depth it does apply to virtually, and if not, all. So they are all bent, and making money from deals pertaining to their own functions and departments. (Yes, we hope for change but that day is very far away from present). Thus, I believe we do have to compare bent actions, and who is the lesser evil or gratuitous.

Suthep may well be slimy, vicious even and wholly corrupt. However, when compared to what's on offer from the PTP, wouldn't you prefer Abhisit?

Suthep is not running for crowning glory as a leader of the Democrats, he is simply trying to erode what's left of the mess PTP has made for itself, and I fully support his role in this, even if he has defilement records against him - please tell me a member of the house who doesn't/ or hasn't engaged in bent actions for personal gain?

Suthep is a far cry from Nittiwit, Chaleropops, and Unlucky shopping, to name but a meagre few, - surely - when it comes to being bent and striking it rich from the very essence of the very poor?

-mel.

Too much focus on individuals. Would I prefer Abhisit as a personal politician over a Shinawatra - sure. Unfortunately the choice is between on the one hand an anti-democratic alliance of military, rich and other unmentionables bent on preserving a them-and-us society and on the other hand whoever else happens to be lining up to take them on for whatever reason.

Not an attractive choice, but re-voting in a puppet (talking about Abhisit, who no doubt had fine ideals but seemed unable to do anything to advance the plight of the sub-class) will do nothing to advance Thailand as a developing nation.

If Thailand cannot find a political alliance that will genuinely build consensus and promote a democratic option that will give hope to all sectors of Thai society, then history tells us that the next step on the path is likely to be Revolution.

Not red, nor Yelllow

Kantharalak

The difference is a Dem coalition government that has to negotiate and compromise to reach consensus on policies and a PTP coalition of bought and paid for political parties who's policies are dictated by a convicted criminal and fugitive from justice

1995 - Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 11 wealthy families

2009 - Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government and resigned to avoid being disqualified but continued as Deputy PM etc

on that land titles, in my (limited) understanding: They gave land titles to people without titles who stay on on the land for a long time already. And it happens that also some wealthy families stayed on some land since a long time. You can't make a law and exclude everyone with xxx.000 Baht on the bank account. How about PTP gave tax free cars to rich families?? That first car initiative also gives a tax break for rich people the same as for poor.

If that is all Suthep did wrong than he would be the cleanest politician of Thailand.

Perhaps you should look at his sons land then. Or perhaps the Palm Oil Scandal of 2011. (http://asiancorrespondent.com/49900/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/)6

great so I take you agree that these two cases aren't true and bring the next two.

Because the court was held in the South which is Democrat Party territory.

If Thaksin would have been charged in Chiang Mai for the Rachada land plot, he would be today a free men as well.

You imply that the court that convicted Thaksin for a blatant fraud was politically motivated in its decision? That accusation could be construed as a serious contempt of court, unless you have evidence to support it. Do you? The facts in that case seem simple enough.

Or are you claiming the court that convicted him was right but that a court in Chiang Mai wouldn't have? In which case, that is a slur in them.

Remember, Thaksin was found innocent on the "honest mistake" case even though one judge later admitted he thought him guilty but gave him a chance as he was the country's PM.

As far as I can remember he was found guilty after the JUNTA took power. Even Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck wouldn't have a chance for a not guilty verdict. They wanted him out of the Thai political system. They did the same with Chatchai in the early 90's but normally when the Army takes over it means the PM is removed and he will not run again.

This has nothing with slur to do but that's just how things is getting done in Thailand.