Thai students in UK spurn invite to have lunch with Phongthep

Lite Beer

Let me get this straight.

These two students aren't actually students from oxford University

You didn't get it straight from the very beginning.

The two students ARE actually students from Oxford University.

How do YOU know that ?

There's a whole world of information out there beyond the confines of Thaivisa.

Give it a try sometime.

Edited by myan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote...... letter to Phongthep on Sunday which was signed by Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas on behalf of the Thai students who opposed the Amnesty Bill......

One wonders who these 2 worthies are.....

You said "no students signed the letter".

Seems that the two who signed it, Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas, are indeed students.

So 2 Thai students in some educational facility in Oxford object to the visit and sent a letter of protest... or am I missing something here ? wink.png

Firstly you are missing giving acknowledgement to the fact that you were completely wrong when you said, "no students signed the letter".

Secondly you are missing the common and generally accepted practice of a body, group or organisation, writing a letter on behalf of its members, without the need to have every single member of that body, group or organisation, come in to the office and sign it.

Firstly -- the comment about who the signatories were was based on the report that 2 people had signed the letter -- not 2 "students" or 2 "students representatives"

Secondly -- letters of protest are traditinally signed by as many people as possible for maximum impact. Unless the 2 signatories were actually elected representatives of some association of students and stated their "authority" to represent "x" number of students, they merely sent a letter from themselves stating their own opinions.

pjinx:

Semantic, and you're arguing with yourself, it is quite clear or at least it seems quite clear to most native speaking readers that 2 students have signed on behalf of the others, end of story. That is unless of course you wish to argue "who are the others", then go right ahead if it fills in your day.

Edited by Artisi

Thai students haven't done anything.

Someone claiming to represent Thai students sent the letter, I'm betting they didn't even ask any Thai students.

AFAICT -- No students signed the letter, so it does not represent anything other than the writer's own views.

The letter was "signed by Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas on behalf of the Thai students".

It doesn't specifically state that Khun Duangnapa and Khun Thaya are students, but they are obviously Thai, and if they sign "on behalf" of the students, then it means they have their permission to do so.

10 seconds of googling shows them to be students, but some would rather drag the issue out for a half dozen or more posts over the pettiest of details, probably in an effort to detract from a situation whereby a Cabinet Minister was roundly denounced by his fellow countrymen in a public refute.

I agree that the politican was rebuffed by 2 of his fellow nationals in another country. No big deal there. But to accept at face value the regurgitated journalism that google provides, along with some facebook pages written by goodness only knows who is a bit like accepting everything wikipedia tells you about Thai politics ;)

AFAICT -- No students signed the letter, so it does not represent anything other than the writer's own views.

The letter was "signed by Duangnapa Kovanich and Thaya Uthayaphas on behalf of the Thai students".

It doesn't specifically state that Khun Duangnapa and Khun Thaya are students, but they are obviously Thai, and if they sign "on behalf" of the students, then it means they have their permission to do so.

10 seconds of googling shows them to be students, but some would rather drag the issue out for a half dozen or more posts over the pettiest of details, probably in an effort to detract from a situation whereby a Cabinet Minister was roundly denounced by his fellow countrymen in a public refute.

I agree that the politican was rebuffed by 2 of his fellow nationals in another country. No big deal there. But to accept at face value the regurgitated journalism that google provides, along with some facebook pages written by goodness only knows who is a bit like accepting everything wikipedia tells you about Thai politics

As someone who couldn't even discern on his own whether they were students or not, I'll repeat my recommendation to you:

There's a whole world of information out there beyond the confines of Thaivisa.

As while you are making some fundamental starts and sputters to discover what that world of information entails, you've got a long way to go based on your summation above regarding the new information you have uncovered.

Anyway, good beginning, keep going and expanding your knowledge base.

wink.png

Edited by myan

I agree that the politican was rebuffed by 2 of his fellow nationals in another country. No big deal there. But to accept at face value the regurgitated journalism that google provides, along with some facebook pages written by goodness only knows who is a bit like accepting everything wikipedia tells you about Thai politics wink.png

You deserve to be banned for blatant trolling and if you are not trolling you display a level of stupidity that should disqualify you from being able to use a public chat forum. You have hijacked the thread with your crap petty nonsense now give it up will you. Thank you.

Your view of the topic is obviously not the same as mine, but that is no reason for your unfortunate lack of a polite response. For you to say the topic is something other than the identity of the authors of the letter in question is a symptom of your focus on the politics rather than the fact.

For other who say off-handedly "Google it ... " their reliance on the veracity of google, wikipedia, facebook, etc shows a singular lack of experience in the real world -- away from their computer screens.

Anyone who has been active in student politics will be well aware of what goes on to "further the cause".

Let's have the signatories in here to justify themselves -- or are they too busy writing another facebook page ?

Meantime -- back in the world of TV - I reported you for your lack of courtesy, but I doubt they will bother with you. smile.png

Have a nice day smile.png

Let's have the signatories in here to justify themselves --

You mean like demand they attend a live chatroom discussion with them on Thaivisa to justify themselves?

(after providing definitive DNA matching to prove they are who they are to you)

Well, nothing bizarre about that, but I'd love to have that occur with many other threads, like those involving Yingluck or Chalerm.

Edited by myan

One thing is for sure, none of those Oxford attending Thai students will end up on Beach road, in Patong, Chaweng, Nana, Cowboy or any other such place. And how many of these students are the offspring of elite members of society that have stolen and lied their way to obscene wealth at the expense of others. Go to Oxford, become a token activist for a few years, return home, turn a blind eye and become part of the problem.

someones out of touch, where you do your research? Patong Phuket or Nana BKK?