Insurance guy say "NOT PAT EVEN ONE BAHT" what the?

aussieinthailand

We rent a shop for almost 3 years now and aprox 18 months ago the road was widened and footpath installed, so the front walkway roof now extends aprox 2/3 inches over the road.

A delivery truck for the loacal "7" hit half way along the roof and almost knocked our sign off but still hanging there, (we had the sign fixed next day for safety concerns) 5 mts roof damage.

Driver of the truck calls insurance and wife calls me, I was just around the corner with a few friends for beers so I'm in the shop in 5 mins, I get the details from the wife and I cross the road and I spoke with the driver and said no one hurt it's ok just fix the roof.

Meanwhile the insurance guy walks into the shop and say's to my wife( no sorry or kiss my a_ss ) just "NOT pay even one baht" and I will sue you for breaking the truck.

The missus calls me over and tells me to get him out which I do and she tells what he said to her, she's angry at this guy now at the insurance guy (not the driver) just an accident.

we are now at the cop shop, and they see me n the missus and the driver and insurance guy, insurance guy's showing photo's and it's starting to not look to good for the (falang) and wife, so my wife say ok I'll call my brother now, it's 1:30 am, (highest ranking BIB in another province), and dose so while sitting in front of the BIB.

after the phone call she tells them to file a criminal case and it will go too court, so now the BIB start looking at our photo's and wife say's we have several witnesses and cctv from a cross the road, so the cop's now saying to the driver your fault you pay fine 400 baht, and the insurance guy say's ok I pay 50% damage and that's it,,, then I remove one foot from my mouth to make room for the other foot,,, and drop the "F" bomb, "you will pay F#*#%!% all of it",

yeah bad move, so wife say's wait outside which I do. So this guy would not give his bosses name or phone number and just say's only pay 50%, but he did say which company he worked for, so tomorrow we off the insurance office. But this time I'll say nothing...

Sorry don't know the name of the company but I'll ask the wife.

the front walkway roof now extends aprox 2/3 inches over the road.

I don't quite understand why you are claiming anything.

You should pay for damage to the truck.

Or is there some part of the story I missed

blink.png

He is farang and cannot be wrong.

Business roof extends over the public road. It damages a vehicle using the road. And it's the driver that is f@#$%$#^$%^RT#$%^#@%345ing liable!

w00t.gif

Edited by Billy Boy
  • Like 1

So refreshing to hear someone married to a Thai female whose brother is the HIGHEST police rank, Usually its just the boring "policeman brother in law or son or well connected people, who know people)

PS. I still do not really understand why the wife or OP was arguing with insurance bell boy, those guys come out, take pics, fill out forms and have no power or decision making authority at all.

Let him do his forms and pics, and then speak with actual people in the office who make the decisions.

under Thai law a completely stationary object has right of way.

So that's why Thais park in the middle of the road.

Thanks.

Relax lads, the building's roof had the right-of-way. clap2.gif

Yes if you hit a parked car you are at fault irrespective of whether it is legally parked or not.

if you rent, surely you duck and its the owners problem?

CCTV on the premises would save some aggro too.

Sure but its a hard sell that the building ran into the truck!

Reminds me of this:

ACTUAL transcript of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. This radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on 10-10-95.

Americans: "Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision."

Canadians: "Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision."

Americans: "This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course."

Canadians: "No, I say again, you divert YOUR course."

Americans: "THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT'S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP."

Canadians: "This is a lighthouse. Your call."

cheesy.gif

under Thai law a completely stationary object has right of way.

So that's why Thais park in the middle of the road.

Thanks.

Relax lads, the building's roof had the right-of-way. clap2.gif

Yes if you hit a parked car you are at fault irrespective of whether it is legally parked or not.

A parked car.

Part of a dwelling overhanging a public road.

See if you can spot the difference.

blink.png

It seems you did miss some part of the story, that would be the part, the existing road was widened, and a foot path installed, that would mean that before the road works had taken place the roof was aprox 1.5 meters back from the road, but now after road works the roof is now aprox 2/3 inches over the road,

and the other part you may have missed is we rent the shop and have no responsibility on shop being built on or over boundary,

also I'm claiming because in a rental contract any damage to building is the responsibility of the lease holder,

blink.png

It seems you did miss some part of the story, that would be the part, the existing road was widened, and a foot path installed, that would mean that before the road works had taken place the roof was aprox 1.5 meters back from the road, but now after road works the roof is now aprox 2/3 inches over the road,

and the other part you may have missed is we rent the shop and have no responsibility on shop being built on or over boundary,

also I'm claiming because in a rental contract any damage to building is the responsibility of the lease holder,

The local authorities are fairly lax about people encroaching on their strips of land along side roads but, as you have found out, they can come at any time and claim their land to finish the road and lay footpaths.

I'm sure someone wiser will come along but seems to me that as you are only renting you should have brought the problem of the overhang to the attention of your landlord at the time it happened.

Probably a bit too late now as the landlord will claim he was not informed of the "accident waiting to happen" so not his problem.

Anyway good luck with your claim.

• Like 1