Taking your (Thai) Car into Cambodia...what's the current situation?

wilcopops

There used to be restrictions on travelling from one province to another etc.

how easy is it now to take your own vehicle into Cambodia and tour around the country?

what docs do you need? How is insurance sorted?

What about corrupt police?

what else does one need to know/do?

Edited by wilcopops

see this thread in the travel forum on bringing a Thai regsitered car into Cambodia http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682061-can-i-drive-my-own-car-into-cambodia/

Within Cambodia, unless the permission for importing your car invokes some restriction specific to that vehicle (which it might) there is no restriction at all on traveling from one province to another and hasn't been for quite some time. Very, very different from 15-20 years ago.

• Like 1

Don't know Cambodia, but here in the south when you enter Malaysia.

1. Get your number plate translated.

2. Buy insurance for Malaysia.

Both can be done at the border, specialized shops there that will take care of everything.

You will need the blue registration book.

Don't know Cambodia, but here in the south when you enter Malaysia.

1. Get your number plate translated.

2. Buy insurance for Malaysia.

Both can be done at the border, specialized shops there that will take care of everything.

You will need the blue registration book.

I have been into Laos seveal times and am awae that Malaysia is relatively easy.....I even have untainted windows on my car just for this.

but Cambodia is a trip I have yet to make.

I have seen various threads on this but apart from one post by Sheryl with the regs, I haven't really seen a step by step guide by someone who has actually done it.

I have a "purples book" - car passport - for Laos, is that any good for Cambodia?

Edited by wilcopops

I have seen various threads on this but apart from one post by Sheryl with the regs, I haven't really seen a step by step guide by someone who has actually done it.

I have a "purples book" - car passport - for Laos, is that any good for Cambodia?

Yes it is. Just make sure it is still valid. They are only good for 1 year. It is better to have than have not.

Yes it is. Just make sure it is still valid. They are only good for 1 year. It is better to have than have not.

I renew it every year - I'm on my third renewal.

I have posted step by step along with which borders to use and what each will do. ( i have crossed 3 borders into Cambodia and 4 out, 3 into Laos and 3 into Malaysia) Regs mena nothing for Cambodia, KNowing what to expect means everything,

Purple book is only used for Laos

Written English tranlsation letter for Malaysia

Only need ur cars blue book to exit thailand heading to Cambodia

I have posted step by step along with which borders to use and what each will do. ( i have crossed 3 borders into Cambodia and 4 out, 3 into Laos and 3 into Malaysia) Regs mena nothing for Cambodia, KNowing what to expect means everything,

Purple book is only used for Laos

Written English tranlsation letter for Malaysia

Only need ur cars blue book to exit thailand heading to Cambodia

I think i may have seen this post - can you give the link?

How recently have you entered Cambodia?

I was wondering whether it is getting any easier.

I see Vietnam have now made it almost impossible - this is a great shame as it's such a short drive to the coast from Laos.

as posted above, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682061-can-i-drive-my-own-car-into-cambodia/#entry7077747

Last trip I Enterted at O'smach July this year

Been the same for me since 2006 but in 2008 i got in at Pailin as well once

Vietnam it has always been impossible unless u get pre approval an dthe problme is u need a vietnamese drivers license.