How Is Your Thai History?

Neeranam

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this thread.

Ignorance of the Thai language is at the heart of this. Myself included. I realise how ignorant I am when I'm surprised by translated commentary and insights into World history made by Thai people. Then I also realise how little I know of Asian history and its importance to the World.

I did once read 1421 The Year China Discovered the World by Gavin Menzies if that's any sort of consolation. Good book, recommended.

I'm not that attentive to be honest and I have a lazy mind at best.

• Like 2

One should expect the citizens of a country know their own history better than the visitors.

It's down to individuals really. Some people take a great interest in studying history, from the hobbyist all the way up to higher academia. Ask your average Brit on the street anything about British history and you'll likely receive a grammatically incorrect summary of last weeks reality television shows.

Folk only know what they want to know .I'm an average Brit but I ain't got much of an idea about reality TV .I could however give a basic outlne of Britian through the ages .I apologise for any grammatical errors.

Quite. I can't be bothered with history or television. I loathe television, regardless from which country the broadcasts originate. Sometimes I use Google to check my grammar. I'm not even sure I could give a remotely accurate summary of British history either.

I find modern life has become far too busy to really know anything at all.

But I simply no longer care. Most things are of little consequence to me. It's a long list.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

One should expect the citizens of a country know their own history better than the visitors.

history is rarely taught in schools anymore

You are right and this is the heart of the matter.

Down my way great moments in Thai history according to the locals is when the head man of the village got drunk, fell over and broke his arm 2 months ago, and the world was only created on the days they were born.

Most of my knowledge on Thai history is only what I`ve read in books and later have researched on the Internet, and I guess that`s probably the same for most of us.

As far as history is concerned and the Thais knowledge of their own history, it`s a pretty poor show all round I`m sorry to say.

• Like 2

Down my way great moments in Thai history according to the locals is when the head man of the village got drunk, fell over and broke his arm 2 months ago, and the world was only created on the days they were born.

Most of my knowledge on Thai history is only what I`ve read in books and later have researched on the Internet, and I guess that`s probably the same for most of us.

As far as history is concerned and the Thais knowledge of their own history, it`s a pretty poor show all round I`m sorry to say.

canada is no better

Before pontificating about the present political situation people should read up on recent Thai history. My wife didn't know about the Thamasat massacre or if she did it was 'a Bangkok thing'. It was a terrible thing that happened but you have to go back to 1932 or even further to understand how it came about. I sometimes read comments like 'for reasons II can't mention'. I guess I know what they mean.

I struggle to remember what happened on the weekend, let alone the last few hundred years. Still, it'd be good to read up on the subject. If anyone has any recommendations of where to find some good, unbiased reading on Thai and Asian history, i'd love to hear them.

The average Thai has no interest in history.

But then the average Thai has little intellectual interest in anything apart from money.

• Like 1

It's down to individuals really. Some people take a great interest in studying history, from the hobbyist all the way up to higher academia. Ask your average Brit on the street anything about British history and you'll likely receive a grammatically incorrect summary of last weeks reality television shows.

I see your point there, and partly agree.

Some people have greater interest in history than other.

And yes, television is a destroyer of peoples minds in many ways, if used the wrong way.

I'm not British, but in my lifetime I found the Brits to have a fairly good knowledge about history.

I always though this was due the very impressive history they had, including the vast empire they controlled.

The average Thai has no interest in history.

But then the average Thai has little intellectual interest in anything apart from money.

Don't you think that you should say, "I'm dull and the average Thai that I know is dull and they little intellectual interest?"

Because I'm not dull and the average Thai that I know is not dull and they have a lot of intellectual interest.smile.png

In what countries and at what levels are you referring to?

In the UK in government schools it is no longer compulsory to study history at the completion of Stage 3 - 14 years old. Don't know the curriculum up to that age. My Thai stepson went to a government school in Australia until aged 18, other than the likes of ANZAC day and Kokoda Trail, general history studies were near to zero.

Except for reinforcing the Thai nationalism agenda, I would guess the same applies to Thai government schools. However perhaps you can provide a link to the curriculum for Thai history from the Ministry of Education and up to what age it is compulsory to study

• Like 1

The thing that I find funny is how ignorant most of you are on Thai history and the assumptions that you make. Most Thais, bla bla bla.

Most Thais that you meet, maybe but that isn't always the best representation.

History is a mandatory subject from p1-m6 in Thailand. Retaining that knowledge might be the issue.

The other issue is that most of the people that you talk to may know a lot about Thai history but don't know the English words to be able to express their knowledge.

Any argument about the knowledge of Thai history using the current king is absolutely ridiculous. You do realize that they are not allowed to discuss certain things publicly?

I use to teach US civics to immigrants trying to take their citizenship test. I found it interesting that the majority of people I met including those in the University circles didn't know half of what my students had to study.

• Like 2

History in schools all over the world is what the people in charge decide to present to society and may have very little to do with the truth!

Or little to do with anything. It's the one thing I do remember. We studied the history of medicine and the history of the American West. This was in the UK about 25 years ago.

I mean really?

Pearly Kings and Queens never came into it.

I got a Grade 'B'.

Edited by MJP