Thai Motorcycle License

SpokaneAl

I thought that perhaps you guys might appreciate my Thai motorcycle licensing experience. I posted the following on Facebook:

I don’t want a pickle, I just want to ride my motor . . . . . . . . . . .cycle!
After getting my Thai driver’s license, I decided to go for the motorcycle version. This required successfully passing a computer generated test, and also passing a road test.
The embarrassingly easy road test was the challenge. I needed to zig zag around some cones and then make a right turn and ride in a straight line down a 12 inch or so wide by about 30 feet long raised concrete path. It is a simple test to determine if the rider can ride in a straight line. The first time through I failed spectacularly. The second time was a repeat of the first ride. Two shots and that was it - I had to go home and could return in three days for another attempt.
Perhaps I should not have waited for more than half a century before attempting to ride a motorcycle.
After spending hours practicing on a course built by my sister-in-law and I, it was time for a retest. Much like the prior time, there were about 25-30 young kids taking the test and me - the old, white guy. Like before, the test administrator enjoyed calling out my name and pretty soon, once again, all the kids there knew me as Alfred.
One after another these kids easily rode and passed. Then it was my turn. Again, I would get two chances, and if I failed both tries this time, I would be unable to re-test for six months. I had three members of my extended family watching and worrying, and there were about a half dozen administrative people watching as well.
I went through the first time and again, within just a few feet I swerved off course and was done. I then was required to wait until all the other people were finished testing. Now the pressure is on - one shot to make good or I am finished for six months.
As I headed out I reminded myself to loosen up, keeps my eyes further down the path and also remember that I really was capable of riding in a straight line. I made the right hand turn, sped up a bit and hit the front of the narrow path. I continued down the path and so far, so good. As I saw the end in sight I sped up just a bit and cruised through to the finish.
As I came to a stop everyone there cheered for Alfred, the old guy. Wow - what a feeling!
I have not experienced this much pressure in a long time. That tells you about the kind of life I have been living.
Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

i attended riding test with my cbr250 and people were looking amazed on how i passed the elevated 20 cm concrete line and do the low speed riding test between the cones.

actually, bigger the tires better the stability so it is easier with a bigger bike on these testsbiggrin.png

It was really an easy test though.

It is harder back home as you need to drive through traffic and do more acrobatics and they are picky.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

When I took my test I was a little worried about that long plank test too. Unlike you I had many young teens fail it. Like ll2 I did it on a CBR and rather than go slow, I lined it up, accelerated and shot right through it. All the watching Thais clapped and thought it was amazing I could do it all on a so called 'big' bike, but it was very easy really.

• Like 1

Haha, nice story. I have done the motorcycle riding test and obtained my licence, but I am relatively experienced, so it was OK (although like you, I also taught myself how to ride, but that was years earlier). However, I generally choose to drive a car, not a motorcycle, especially in Bangkok. Still, it's good to have that licence for when I do ride my bike.

• Like 1