Red shirt demonstrators still gathering inside Bangkok stadium

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There won't be any violence as long as the Red Shirts don't get involved.

Twitter reports (Richard Barrow and Jonathan Head (and some Bluesky footage of the aftermath)) that freelance journalist Nick Nostitz was set upon at the anti-govt protests, prompted from the stage.

I believe you are correct. He was involved in a scuffle with the protesters and seems to have been moved behind police lines. It was on TV.

post-9891-0-32478500-1385364776_thumb.jp

I think the clear message from the stage should be directed straight at Thaksin - either come home like a man and face the public and the law - or stay away and leave us alone

The man is a coward - he'd be much more respected if he took the next plane to Thailand

While all this mayhem is taking place in Bangkok - he's sitting at the pool sipping cocktails thinking what a genius he is making all this happen from his poolside lounger

I doubt very much he will be sitting by the pool sipping a cocktail, more like running around in a frenzy swearing and cursing at all those ungrateful Thai's not wanting the pretend emperor back in town and his clone sent to join him.

• Like 1

I think the clear message from the stage should be directed straight at Thaksin - either come home like a man and face the public and the law - or stay away and leave us alone

The man is a coward - he'd be much more respected if he took the next plane to Thailand

While all this mayhem is taking place in Bangkok - he's sitting at the pool sipping cocktails thinking what a genius he is making all this happen from his poolside lounger

They told approx. the same yesterday on the stage, in English. The nice lady suggested that he is rich enough to also take all his red shirt supporters with him to Montenegro and maybe as citizen he might be able to become President of Montenegro biggrin.png

"Thida would love to see a riot between protesters and police break out. Oh how the rhetoric and propaganda will flow."

I have no desire to defend Thida, but I think you are out of line with that comment. I'm sure she would not want to see any more deadly violence, and if it did happen, I'm sure she would be smart enough to know that making propaganda out of it (especially in the immediate aftermath) could backfire badly on her and her movement. The deaths of 2010 are still fresh in the mind and still hurt those affected.

If I can stop you right there.

While I respect your right to an opinion, I will also expect you to respect my own right to the same.

I don't think that my statement is in any way one bit 'out of line'. I would argue that it is very much 'in line'.

Just because you give Thida and her red brigade a HUGE benefit of the doubt, that any violence between anti-gov protesters and the police would not use this to their advantage through rhetoric and propaganda is laughable. What do you expect them to say about it? At the moment they have very little fuel on their fire, they and their protesters are pretty much just a fancy dress contest with no real reason to be having a protest sat in a stadium that puts almost zero pressure on anyone.

If the anti-gov protesters were pushed into a let's say 'less than orderly' conflict with the police, it would probably be no more than a surge and few water bottles being thrown, and a bit of tear gas, then the police will retreat and the protesters will get to where they want to be. It is not going to be anywhere near the same as 2010 when the reds were burning down BKK, throwing grenades and shooting at the army.

Believe me... Any skirmishes will be lapped up with extreme pleasure by the reds, their leaders and the PTP.

TT, I agree with a lot of your posts - you and I are on the same page, I believe. But you are making some huge presumptions without any factual backup. That's what I find uncomfortable, and why I said it was out of line. You said Thida would love to see a riot, but how do you know this? Maybe she would, maybe she wouldn't. Casualties would be inevitable in a riot, so I ask, would anyone be game to make political capital out of more deaths and risk approbrium of the people and possibly the world? I'm sure there would be some political capital made by the reds, but your comment indicates something akin to gloating. I'm inclined to think she would be somewhat more sensitive and back off a bit. Sorry if that sounds like I'm defending her, but I'm only trying to use some perspective. I despise her and her red elite, just for the record.

Anyway, none of us has any idea how this is going to play out. Not at this stage.

"Thida would love to see a riot between protesters and police break out. Oh how the rhetoric and propaganda will flow."

I have no desire to defend Thida, but I think you are out of line with that comment. I'm sure she would not want to see any more deadly violence, and if it did happen, I'm sure she would be smart enough to know that making propaganda out of it (especially in the immediate aftermath) could backfire badly on her and her movement. The deaths of 2010 are still fresh in the mind and still hurt those affected.

If I can stop you right there.

While I respect your right to an opinion, I will also expect you to respect my own right to the same.

I don't think that my statement is in any way one bit 'out of line'. I would argue that it is very much 'in line'.

Just because you give Thida and her red brigade a HUGE benefit of the doubt, that any violence between anti-gov protesters and the police would not use this to their advantage through rhetoric and propaganda is laughable. What do you expect them to say about it? At the moment they have very little fuel on their fire, they and their protesters are pretty much just a fancy dress contest with no real reason to be having a protest sat in a stadium that puts almost zero pressure on anyone.

If the anti-gov protesters were pushed into a let's say 'less than orderly' conflict with the police, it would probably be no more than a surge and few water bottles being thrown, and a bit of tear gas, then the police will retreat and the protesters will get to where they want to be. It is not going to be anywhere near the same as 2010 when the reds were burning down BKK, throwing grenades and shooting at the army.

Believe me... Any skirmishes will be lapped up with extreme pleasure by the reds, their leaders and the PTP.

TT, I agree with a lot of your posts - you and I are on the same page, I believe. But you are making some huge presumptions without any factual backup. That's what I find uncomfortable, and why I said it was out of line. You said Thida would love to see a riot, but how do you know this? Maybe she would, maybe she wouldn't. Casualties would be inevitable in a riot, so I ask, would anyone be game to make political capital out of more deaths and risk approbrium of the people and possibly the world? I'm sure there would be some political capital made by the reds, but your comment indicates something akin to gloating. I'm inclined to think she would be somewhat more sensitive and back off a bit. Sorry if that sounds like I'm defending her, but I'm only trying to use some perspective. I despise her and her red elite, just for the record.

Anyway, none of us has any idea how this is going to play out. Not at this stage.

Well I have to agree with the original comment for the most part, and in answer to your question "would anyone be game to make political capital out of more deaths?" I have to say an indefatigable YES, sadly there are plenty that would. Without wishing to appear rude it seems a very naive question to be honest, we are after all talking about politicians here.

If you listened and watched Blue Sky last night that was exactly the message they are pushing.

Last time it was 'Thaksin ...get out'

This time 'Thaksin......leave us alone'

The red gathering at Rajamangala is quite sad to look at. It truly looks like the wheels have come off the wagon. There are almost as many people on the stage as in the crowd. Good that they are able to focus the camera on the hundreds squeezed into the front and a few sections of half-filled seats. It actually looks like less people than yesterday, so the cavalry they called for yesterday hasn't arrived.

"Red-shirt leaders claimed 100,000 people gathered at the stadium, while reporters estimated the figure was about 40,000." OP

Which OP is that from? It's not in the OP of this thread.

But if there were 100,000, that would mean that the stadium was 35,000 over capacity.

There were not 100,000 red shirts, or even 40,000.

There were 20,000 red shirts.

post-94947-0-10406600-1385383446_thumb.j

"Red-shirt leaders claimed 100,000 people gathered at the stadium, while reporters estimated the figure was about 40,000." OP

But if there were 100,000, that would mean that the stadium was 35,000 over capacity.

I don't even think it was more than 10,000. If you've ever seen a 20,000 capacity crowd invade a football pitch, you'd know that there are far fewer than 20,000 people there, including those seated and on the stage.

There was a time when Thida had values and morals.

I remember many times her saying that the red shirts would fight against amnesty for those accused of the 75 or so protest deaths.

Now she backs the Thaksin charade

Another red puppet on Thaksin strings

Yeah, but now she's got a nice big house and a new car instead.

Suckers!

post-94947-0-10406600-1385383446.jpg

Can you post a bigger picture, because I always lose count .

Yes this clown dirty lot is under gathering,

But don't think they want to keep them there.

If they enough power, they will erupt like a vulcan.

And we, normally BKK people will have to go clean their dirt like before. sick.gifhit-the-fan.gif

And what do you think who pays the red puppet's daily 500 B ?

The tax payers not this idiot grabby Chinese family from Chiang Mai.

Edited by Loles

Only way it will turn violent is if the Reds start it, just keep them there at the stadium, don't let the rent a dogs out and it will stay peaceful. I think the only reason they are staying there is because they are way outnumbered and they know they don't stand a chance unless they start doing very very bad things that will turn a very large majority of country against them instantly....Let's hope they stay outnumbered by a very long way...

• Like 1

post-94947-0-10406600-1385383446.jpg

Can you post a bigger picture, because I always lose count .

When I put my red tinted sun-glasses on I can see so many more - must be at least 200,000.

But unfortunately for the reds, when I take them off - seems like bugger-all supporters.

I wonder how Thaksin is reading this at the moment? Would he be happy about Thida using the expression "people's revolution"? I think this "revolution" as it is manifesting, is worrisome for him as he is not in control of it. If that's the case, then what option is he weighing up? Continue on the same path and risk a coup? That might win him a modicum of sympathy, but as he is not the elected PM in the eyes of the world, he won't be able to play the sympathy card on the world stage - true, many emphathised with him after 2006, but that was then, and this is now. Does he risk a House dissolution and a new election? That would depend on the signals he is getting. If he feels the odds are still with him, then that might be the way to go. The question is, are the odds with him? I think the emotions in the anti-government/anti-Thaksin movement are spreading too far for his liking - at the moment, at least.

What the people want if for the government to to govern Thailand, not the handful of elitists that pull your chain and that of all of your anti-democracy protests, rallies with a sprinkling of Suthep brainless sheeps thrown in for good measure.

WitawatWatawit, on 25 Nov 2013 - 13:03, said:snapback.png

I wonder how Thaksin is reading this at the moment? Would he be happy about Thida using the expression "people's revolution"? I think this "revolution" as it is manifesting, is worrisome for him as he is not in control of it. If that's the case, then what option is he weighing up? Continue on the same path and risk a coup? That might win him a modicum of sympathy, but as he is not the elected PM in the eyes of the world, he won't be able to play the sympathy card on the world stage - true, many emphathised with him after 2006, but that was then, and this is now. Does he risk a House dissolution and a new election? That would depend on the signals he is getting. If he feels the odds are still with him, then that might be the way to go. The question is, are the odds with him? I think the emotions in the anti-government/anti-Thaksin movement are spreading too far for his liking - at the moment, at least.

What the people want if for the government to to govern Thailand, not the handful of elitists that pull your chain and that of all of your anti-democracy protests, rallies with a sprinkling of Suthep brainless sheeps thrown in for good measure.

Yes indeed it is a crying shame that PT have not been governing the country instead have been concentration on getting their boss and your hero back and the tax payers money he scammed given to him.

Have looked again at the photos and don't see the handful of elitists you mention.

Only ordinary Thai people who have had a guts full of the corruption and shady dealings of PT.

indyuk ---- I do not expect a reply to this, but since: the reds were protesting the amnesty bill, and since that bill is NOT dead but is waiting out about 170 days until 50%+1 vote in the house can pass it, and since groups from all walks of life have gathered peacefully against this government and its policies, and since the reds (that used to be both the heartland support of Thaksin's regime,) are nowhere to be seen other than protesting against it ........ and finally since this is a parliamentary democracy where snap elections are common ......

Why isn't your hero Yingluck indeed supporting democracy and calling for fresh elections?

It would seem a group of Doctors threatened to protest outside Yinglucks house today.

So the peaceful reds decided they should go there to protect her.

Source of photo speaks for itself.

post-12069-0-22026700-1385466732_thumb.j

The DR's be needing each other by the looks of the lumps of wood.

It would seem a group of Doctors threatened to protest outside Yinglucks house today.

So the peaceful reds decided they should go there to protect her.

Source of photo speaks for itself.

attachicon.gif1463569_542804115805542_839520572_n.jpg

The DR's be needing each other by the looks of the lumps of wood.

Perhaps the 'protectors of democracy' don't trust the police to look after their safety ?

Or perhaps they're for self-defence against soi-dogs ?

Or are they afraid that someone might blow a whistle, in their general direction, and need to have their political-opinion 'corrected' ? wink.png

is that all they can get together the place is empty. If they had any sense they would try and save a little bit of face by saying for reconciliation reasons or some such crap they are all going home. What a pathetic showing. Would be interesting to see some close ups since putting a brave face on with that sort of turnout takes a lot of doing.

Great news at last. Surely Taksin knows if you don't pay as promised your mercenary army they are hardly likely to do what you want.

Totally proves they always or 99% of them did it for a mere 500 baht or so. They sell themselves even cheaper than lowest hooker who would certainly have more pride than this pathetic sorry bunch of thugs and cowards

It is to be expected that any political party would use whatever angles they can to convince people a rally is successfully attracting supporters, but the numbers at Rajamangala are even less than yesterday. If the camera angle were from just a little higher up, you would see that only about a third of the pitch has red shirt supporters on it. Lucky if there are 5,000 in total today, even if you drag everyone away from sleeping on seats or eating outside. The mood of the red shirt protesters could hardly be described as upbeat either. The majority look fed up, bored out of their minds and just want whatever was promised and the chance to go home. Perhaps they can sense the slide.

Edited by Sunderland