Best place in BKK for shoes

Shoeboat

For smart leather business shoes where in the city is the best value?

My budget is about 4,000 baht and I've looked in the Paragon department store but just wondered if anybody can recommend somewhere that currently has a promotion on for quality shoes at a reasonable price.

Cheers

SB

Best I have found for price/quality balance is in the Zen department store at Central World. Usually pay about 2000 and they last 4-6 months of daily use. Still pretty crap bu I've paid 4000 and they haven't lasted any longer. I've also tried the real cheapies from Tesco and they can last just as long but they look like crap. Definitely on the to buy list next time I head home.

They can't look like crap. Whilst most affordable shoes are sufficient for teaching it's important to invest in quality for conducting business here. Like it or not, that's how it is. It's not only Thailand that will judge a man by his shoes either.

A few metres along from the bank on the corner of Kasem Rat and Rama IV is a small shop that will make leather shoes to order. Specializes in cowboy boots but has other ranges in stock. Had a couple of pairs made, took a week or so and I think about 2500 per pair, leather uppers and soles. Also had shoes re-soled and heeled, a good quality leather for 500 a pair.

My cup of tea.

Sorry, 4000 baht won't buy you anything smart, in my opinion. There are a few independent boot makers in the Bangkok area who can make you a decent pair of shoes, but don't expect to fool anyone like myself. On the other hand, my observation tells me 99% of men treat their shoes like crap, if even that. That said, 4000 baht spent with the boot maker on Sukhumvit between Soi 10 and 12 could potentially buy you something that will look decent for a couple of weeks before they break up.

But they will look cheap and cheerful. In my opinion.