Visa on arrival in Indonesia

Briggsy

Has Indonesia stopped doing the $10 7-day tourist visa on arrival? If so, that means the $25 30-day visa is the only option on arrival (for UK citizens). Can anybody confirm?

Thais come under the "visa free" and don't need to pay. Can anybody confirm this too?

I had no idea Brits had to pay for visa on arrival in Indonesia, I thought it was all part of this South-East Asia 28 days stamp thingy around this area?

If by 'this area' you mean the ASEAN group of countries, I am aware of no such arrangement. AFAIK, Brits pay for a visa to Indonesia, Cambodia and Vietnam the same as the rest of us non-ASEAN folk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations

There was a brief push for Australia to join ASEAN - I think we can kiss that goodbye under Abbott.

I had no idea Brits had to pay for visa on arrival in Indonesia, I thought it was all part of this South-East Asia 28 days stamp thingy around this area?

Many years ago, Indonesia was that way, but that was a very long time ago, in the nineties, any how.

Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Vietnam have all been pay to enter for years. So now I think you only have Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines and Singapore with a free stamp (for Brits) any how.

They stopped it in Riau province for a while too, but reinstated.

Too many Singaporeans stopped visiting their weekend wives.

The beauty of it all now is that they have done away with the whole page sticker visa and the rubber stamp on the next page. I was filling up passports very quickly. Now the sticker is half a page and the stamp goes on that same page.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide some information.

The entry point was Medan.

Very few non-ASEAN travellers meant the VOA queue was virtually non-existent. Whole process of paying 25 dollars and getting the visa took about 5 minutes including queueing behind one Brit. They have amalgamated the second and third steps of the process so the counter where you actually get the visa also stamps you in. This worked out faster than the ASEAN queue who did not need a visa.

On leaving the 75,000 Rupiah (this varies by location) is collected as you check in for your flight.