Thai opposition protesters storm foreign ministry

webfact

Thai opposition protesters storm foreign ministry

BANGKOK, November 25, 2013 (AFP) - Hundreds of Thai opposition protesters on Monday forced their way into the foreign ministry compound in Bangkok, occupying a second major government building, a ministry spokesman said.

The move came hours after demonstrators stormed the finance ministry in a dramatic escalation of their efforts to topple embattled Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

"Several hundred protesters broke down the gate and entered the compound of the foreign ministry," said the spokesman, Sek Wannamethee.

"There were many civil servants working there at the time and they (the protesters) asked them to leave and not to return to work tomorrow."

The demonstrators were occupying the foreign ministry compound but did not enter the buildings, he said.

The mass protests against Yingluck and her brother, ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, are the biggest since 2010 when the kingdom was rocked by its worst political bloodshed in decades with more than 90 civilians killed.

The turmoil has raised fears of a fresh bout of street violence in a country that has been convulsed by several episodes of political unrest since royalist generals overthrew Thaksin in a coup in 2006.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-11-25

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What on earth are these people trying to do to their own country.Have some common sense and call it of before you destroy it.

At least they're not burning it down.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Yingluk looks light sge is crying in that pic. Lady is having a bad day, if only I could be in Singapore shopping.

I agree, she looks terrible. I think she is in way over her head. I almost pity her. The coming days are going to bring Yingluck a lot of heartache, I believe.

• Like 1

they want go get in the headlines in the western media, take over the airport again.

Don't put that thought in anyones head.... was stuck in Manila for a week and a half last time they did that.

Not that I dislike Manila but was only suppose to be a 2 day trip for a meeting.... not 10 days, a $2,000 phone bill (due to doing business on roaming) and a return trip from hell via Manila - KL - Utapao to get home.

What on earth are these people trying to do to their own country.Have some common sense and call it of before you destroy it.

What on earth has that got to do with my post.

Have you considered what Thaksin and PTP have done to their own country?

Millions of tons of unsaleable rice in storage costing millions of baht every day just to sit there and now unable to pay the farmers that grew it.

A plan to put every Thai in debt for generations with ill conceived ideas for High Speed Trains, a massive water control budget with no direction, massive corruption at all levels and you ask that question?.

• Like 2

That's because they don't know how to use a box of matches, to many moving parts, cheesy.gif only their hi-so gold and diamond encrusted lighters, w00t.gif

• Like 2

Have you considered what Thaksin and PTP have done to their own country?

Millions of tons of unsaleable rice in storage costing millions of baht every day just to sit there and now unable to pay the farmers that grew it.

A plan to put every Thai in debt for generations with ill conceived ideas for High Speed Trains, a massive water control budget with no direction, massive corruption at all levels and you ask that question?.

Please read my original post again and notice that I have not mentioned either side of the equasion.I am well aware that there are faults on both sides but also understand that what is happening now is not the right way to go about solving the problems as they are.The current situation is another step backward towards

the anarchy of the past where innocent people have been killed or injured.Also please note that corruption has been rampant in past governments of the country.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2

... i doubt that this was sanctioned by Suthep.

Suthep?

The names and faces are interchangeable but anything else same, same but not different. The big ego striving for power by all means. You know one you know them all.

The more it keeps on going the more it occurs to me that Seh Daeng has reincarnated but just in a different colour. Anarchism appears to be immortal also it loves to disguise itself as democracy. blink.png

• Like 2

... i doubt that this was sanctioned by Suthep.

Suthep?

The names and faces are interchangeable but anything else same, same but not different. The big ego striving for power by all means. You know one you know them all.

The more it keeps on going the more it occurs to me that Seh Daeng has reincarnated but just in a different colour. Anarchism appears to be immortal also it loves to disguise itself as democracy. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

"Anarchisim appears to be immortal, also it loves to disguise itself as democracy" Very true, we are finding this out in the U.S.A. right now, although it seems that more and more people are realizing that the emperor has no cloths each and every dayw00t.gif

I support 'civil disobedience' as a legitimate form of dissent. In the instance of occupying the Budget Office, the Foreign Ministry, or the Public Relations Department, I do not see it as a violent act as long as their is not an attempt to intimidate the civil servants who work there or interfere with their duties. But I seriously doubt that the actions of the protesters will remain that constrained. I fear that these acts will escalate. I saw on the news this morning that there were protestors at Don Mueang already. If there is an attempt to close the airports, again, it is a matter of national security.

• Like 1