are air rifles legal in thailand eg 1200 fps .177 lead pellet firing spring action.

kiwikeith

you will need a gun-permit to legally own a gun,

normally the sellers shop will help with the paper work, local police can approve.

might be hard to get for an expat.

Not easy but can be done.

http://www.thailand-th.net/thailand_gun_laws.html

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/shop/bangkok-gun-shops-why-you-dont-want-buy-glock-thailand-009893

.177 an 22 pellet guns need a license. It also takes more than just your local police for approval.

Edited by khwaibah

»Or better to leave it at home.«

Leave it at home, you are not allowed to bring it into Thailand – if you need any weapons, you have to buy them local. Airguns and -rifles can be bought at most nightmarkets.

Edited by khunPer
  • Confused 1

I too in the past have thought about bringing a Daisy BB gun into the kingdom. My first concern would be just how to get it past the the inspection at the airport. I had thought about stripping one down and do it piece by piece. I the past I had brought lead BBs sowed into a "bean Bag" for use with a GPS dashboard mount. I was quizzed about it but they let it pass.

Guns which fire plastic BBs are available here and do not require a license. There are both prig loaded and CO2 charged versions. They usually fire around 420fps but can be modified upwards by about 100fps or so. Lead pellet shooting air rifles need a license.

• Like 1

Well... I can tell you from personal experience that an air rifle and/or a Co2 powered pistol can be had without any permits needing to be issued. Shoot someone with it and then you might need to have the permits if you are shooting Soi dogs (see other topic listed in this edition). The OP is not talking about a firearm but rather a BB or Pellet gun. Go to any market or big street or for that matter even Mo Chit bus station and you will find it very easy to pick up a Co2 powered pistol which have a greater velocity than your normal spring loaded or even some air powered rifles and you will have a huge selection to pick from. Coupled with the cross-bows on sale at these same stalls go ahead a buy one if you have to. Just be careful! They look far too real and can easily be misidentified and you might find yourself shot by a real one. And do not think that they are a scare tactic either.

They are classed as Class 1 firearms and whilst I don't dispute you can get them NQA, you are asking for trouble.

If you are legally married, a yellow book is a breeze. PR more difficult, otherwise do the reggo in your Significant other's name.

All very simple until the Feds arrive asking questions...

Edited by GBK

My M4 Carbine "Look Alike" is electrically ( re chargable battery) loaded and compressed air projection of 5.95 mm, 0.20gm plastic pellets Velocity 330F/s. Range 75/100 metre. On full automatic the firing rate is in excess of 500 pellets / minute. Quite effective for deterring Soi Dogs and neighbour's chickens.

Checked in with the said weapon at the R.T.Police at the Local Ampur and was told all OK if no complaints from persons who have been fired at or struck in which case compensation may be liable.

NO Licence, NO Tabien Baan, NO passport. NO name required!

My M4 Carbine "Look Alike" is electrically ( re chargable battery) loaded and compressed air projection of 5.95 mm, 0.20gm plastic pellets Velocity 330F/s. Range 75/100 metre. On full automatic the firing rate is in excess of 500 pellets / minute. Quite effective for deterring Soi Dogs and neighbour's chickens.

Checked in with the said weapon at the R.T.Police at the Local Ampur and was told all OK if no complaints from persons who have been fired at or struck in which case compensation may be liable.

NO Licence, NO Tabien Baan, NO passport. NO name required!

Your M4 Look a like is and airsoft gun that is legal. They have many places that have airsoft matches,( war games), including one on the Army base.

You need to register an AIR GUN here!!?? Really? blink.png I'd like to have one just to sting the soi dogs asses that bark all dam_n night long a hundred yards away from my room!

Did you read: 1200 feet per second. the velocity he is stating?

Just as a comparison, the 0.45 cal military cap automatic handgun has a muzzle velocity of about 750 fps, if I recall correctly from my loading days when I also used to load 460 Weatherby.

I would think you could kill a dog with that. But how do you get springs to shoot like that?

And the 45 is a lot heavier 200 grain bullet, or something.

You need to register an AIR GUN here!!?? Really? blink.png I'd like to have one just to sting the soi dogs asses that bark all dam_n night long a hundred yards away from my room!

Just as a comparison, the 0.45 cal military cap automatic handgun has a muzzle velocity of about 750 fps, if I recall correctly from my loading days when I also used to load 460 Weatherby.

I would think you could kill a dog with that. But how do you get springs to shoot like that?

What damage can a pellet gun with 1200 fps do?

To get 1200 fps you need a good .177 (a British or German-made). The pellet is too light to have much stopping power, though it will take out an eye.

To stop an intruder, you need a Korean-made Dragonslayer in .45 or .50 caliber. At 600 fps it's only half the velocity, but 25 times the energy. Takes down a boar (or deer).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100324172525AAuz0or

To get 1200 fps you need a good .177 (a British or German-made). The pellet is too light to have much stopping power, though it will take out an eye.

To stop an intruder, you need a Korean-made Dragonslayer in .45 or .50 caliber. At 600 fps it's only half the velocity, but 25 times the energy. Takes down a boar (or deer).

If you are talking energy, then velocity is crucial since it is squared.

For example, the 0.17 caliber magnum rifle round with a muzzle velocity of over 5000 fps.

WHAMO!

If you are talking energy, then velocity is crucial since it is squared.

For example, the 0.17 caliber magnum rifle round with a muzzle velocity of over 5000 fps.

WHAMO!

I had to look it up, but thegun you mention has a velocity of less than half of what you claim, and which is still high as most lethal weapons have a velocity way below 2000 fps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.17_HMR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Magnum

Or how do you explain that the Dragon slayer with a velocity of only 600 Fps has 25 times the energy of a 1200 Fps .177 pellet rifle ?

Edited by PeterSmiles