Short selling individual Thai stocks?...

any recommendations for easily accessible ways (open to foreign individuals) to short individual thai stocks?

might buy some thai stocks but want to short some others to minimize overall exposure to the market

its for fun as much as anything else so easy buy/sell process is more priority than lowest transaction fees

I have brokerage accounts with KGI. In addition to the ones for buying shares I also have a derivatives account. This allows me to trade derivatives on TFEX. This includes SET 50 options and futures, as well as futures on individual stocks. There are about 30 individual stock futures.

You could sell these individual stock futures, you can see a list on the pull down menu here

http://marketdata.set.or.th/tfx/dailyMarketReport.do?locale=en_US

Contract specs are here:

http://www.tfex.co.th/en/products/stock-spec.html

Given the leverage and the fact that they aren't always very liquid, you need to exercise a degree of caution. I opened the account same time as I opened the shares one, and had to do a small test to show competency in this area, as well as providing info on my assets etc to show I had resources appropriate to taking the risks. From there they allocate a credit line and monitor the equity you have available to trade.

I don't trade them myself, as I prefer positions on the SET index generally and prefer options to futures. There are no individual stock options on TFEX at this point. I haven't looked into the margins needed on individual stock futures, but as an indication you need about 90k to 100k initial margin per SET50 index future contract.

There's also gold/silver/oil/USD/THB futures should these melt your butter. In addition to the prices above, KGI system is all online and pretty easy/inyuitive to use

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 2