Forget Elephant Trekking try Hot Air Ballooning

homeownership

For the past 10 years since I have been visiting, semi-retiring, living and working in and out of Thailand my friends have asked if I have gone Elephant Trekking in Chiang Mai. I have replied, yes and enjoyed it but that was before I learnt about the cruelty inflicted on these poor creatures to "tame" them to do what we want them to do. Shooting any adult elephant that tries to protect its families baby, which this subjected to torture, when it suffers a mental breakdown, we as human being use the body of the elephant for our amusements so that we can be adventurous. Its a sour taste that I participated albeit in my naivety 10 years ago by going on an elephant trek.

But now there is something, that I must say is an activity that is unsurpassable in every way. Hot Air Ballooning.

A few weeks ago I woke up early, it was light and hot, I drove my Isuzu from my home in San Sai (Chiang Mai) to The Four Seasons Hotel Chiang Mai.

I don't usually drink champagne in the mornings as a rule, but it was 11am somewhere. )Perhaps Japan or Australia.

My Wife, My Son and Myself finished the bottle and by that time the balloon was full of hot air (not unlike me when I get going). (My Son is 3 yrs old and didn't drink by the way).

It took 6 hours 14:00 approx to reach the Burmese/Thai Border near Mai Rim (Wow, no really Wow).

I never knew Thailand and Burma had so much Jungle/Forest. I mean I knew they had a fair bit, but from the air it was endless and you couldn't tell where Thailand was or where Burma was.

The crew said "up here the world makes sense on the ground, things get muddled" or that was the general jist of it.

We landed late around 8pm and were driven to Shangri La, where we had a lovely international Buffet. A valet had driven our car from the four seasons to the Shangri La and we then drove home.

What a lovely lovely unforgettable experience, you really do have to try it.

Edited by homeownership