New Passport Issues

I live here on a non B visa with year extension and work permit. I am travelling to the UK for 3 weeks on the 14th of December 2013, my passport expires on the 14th of June 2014. I will not be able to return to Bangkok on this passport as it will have less than 6 months remaining. I intend to get a new passport while holidaying in England (at the one day service).

I have 2 questions regarding my situation:
1. Can I re enter Bangkok on a new passport with the old passport plus re-entry in hand and retain my visa and have them transfer the visas at the airport?
2. Can I send my new passport to an embassy or consulate while in the UK and have them transfer the visas?
Thanks

Bring your 2 passports with you and present both at immigration on arrival. As soon as you can go to your local / designated immigration office and they will sort it out for you by updating your new passport.

Please also be aware that, when the time comes for your existing stamps to be transferred to the new passport, your local immigration office may require you to obtain an Embassy letter as per the attachment.

post-63387-0-47340600-1385708964_thumb.j

Edited by OJAS

Please also be aware that, when the time comes for your existing stamps to be transferred to the new passport, your local immigration office may require you to obtain an Embassy letter as per the attachment.

Is the situation similar with a US passport?

I am not certain if the practice is still carried u , but when I had to renew passport which still had a valid visa in it , the UK Passport issuer always attached the new Passport to the old one with unbreakable tape

It is needed for all new passports if you have to gets stamps transfered at immigration. But not all offices ask for it.

If you get your new passport here at the US embassy they will give you the letter when you pickup your passport. They do it without you having to ask for it.

I am not certain if the practice is still carried u , but when I had to renew passport which still had a valid visa in it , the UK Passport issuer always attached the new Passport to the old one with unbreakable tape

Back in the 70', living in Dubai and travelling frequently at one point I had 9 passports attached just to preserve various visas.

If the OP enters the Kingdom on a new passport this would seem a little late.

Why?

If you apply for USA passport renewal will they mail to Phuket or do you have to pick up in BKK. I read the website info and know that authorized person can pick up for you but when we have consular visit to Phuket can put in application (+photo+money) and pay to get EMS mail of completed passport. Know of two friends who did just that in past few months here, got the passports back less than 2 weeks after submittal to consular reps here. Said returned new passports also had the letter to immigration requesting nice nice Immi service.

If you apply for USA passport renewal will they mail to Phuket or do you have to pick up in BKK. I read the website info and know that authorized person can pick up for you but when we have consular visit to Phuket can put in application (+photo+money) and pay to get EMS mail of completed passport. Know of two friends who did just that in past few months here, got the passports back less than 2 weeks after submittal to consular reps here. Said returned new passports also had the letter to immigration requesting nice nice Immi service.

Although it does state it on website they will EMS it. You have to buy a prepaid EMS envelope that you can get from the Thai Post booth at consular section.

i am in a similar situation as the OP, in that i have just returned from the UK with a new passport, but mine is a non immigrant O visa, based upon marriage, that is in my old passport

it is in the form of a sticker, that i acquired from savannakhet after a marathon bus journey

it is valid for another 8 months. do i have to go to immigration here in hua hin to get it transferred, or will i be ok carrying two passports whenever i cross into thailand, as i did at the airport the other day?

thanks in advance guys and gals wai.gif

I received a 90 day single non-IMM B Visa in September. As I was on my last page I applied for a new passport after arrival in Thailand. My company had to first transfer my visa into my new passport before immigration proceeded to provide me with a 2 year extension of stay. Not sure if this is normal but it was the second time I had to do this. The first time in 2006 when my passport expired. Immigration transferred my extension of stay onto the new passport.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a matter of interest how did your company "transfer" a visa ?

I received a 90 day single non-IMM B Visa in September. As I was on my last page I applied for a new passport after arrival in Thailand. My company had to first transfer my visa into my new passport before immigration proceeded to provide me with a 2 year extension of stay. Not sure if this is normal but it was the second time I had to do this. The first time in 2006 when my passport expired. Immigration transferred my extension of stay onto the new passport.

It is needed for all new passports if you have to gets stamps transfered at immigration. But not all offices ask for it.

If you get your new passport here at the US embassy they will give you the letter when you pickup your passport. They do it without you having to ask for it.

Thank you. Is that form available on the US Consulate website? If not, where?

Edited by riceyummm

Why?

Absolutely - don't forget TIT!crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

The company needed to apply. The immigration proceeded. Sorry if it could have been understood differently.

The company needed to apply. The immigration proceeded. Sorry if it could have been understood differently.

I asked because "visas" are never transferred !

Maybe there is some "confusion" here !smile.png

I asked because "visas" are never transferred !

Maybe there is some "confusion" here !Posted Image

Not sure what else this is. I have handed in my old and new passport. Attached what they stamped and wrote into my new passport. Once this has been done they only proceeded with my 2 tear extension of stay. As well I have been advised beforehand by my embassy and immigration that my old passport with the visa would not be valid after I have received my new one. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can shed some light and clarify as it would be interesting for me too.post-153345-13859055037392_thumb.jpg

That is not a visa it is a stamp with info about about your entry with a visa. Only extensions of stay can be transfered.

The problem is that people call extensions of stay visas which they are not. A visa only allows you enter the country and obtain a permit to stay.

A valid visa that allows more than one entry is not transferable to a new passport.

That s not the visa that was transferred, but details of your old passport and on the visa you originally entered Thailand are being stamped in a new passport for references.

The pic you posted simply gives details over when you arrives in Thailand, where, what date, by which mode of transport and on what kind of visa. It also gives your arrival card number, which you didn't edited out. immigration can also identify you with that number.