Suranand tells BBC Thai Govt has no plans to use army

webfact

Suranand tells BBC Thai Govt has no plans to use army

BANGKOK, 29 November 2013 (NNT) – Prime Minister's Secretary-General Suranand Vejjajiva has told the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) that the Thai government has no plan to deploy army in controlling the protesters.

Despite the rising tension of the anti-government demonstrations, the secretary-general told the BBC that the government would not get the army involved in the matter, while assuring that police are capable of handling the situation, as the protesters are peaceful and do not resort to violence.

The protesters merely wanted to surround government agencies in a bid to cause disruption and overthrow Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, according to Suranand.

The protesters have accused PM Yingluck’s government of being manipulated by her brother, former Prime MinisterThaksin Shinawatra, said the Secretary-General.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-29 footer_n.gif

That's nice, really nice.

Did the Prime Minister's Secretary-General Suranand Vejjajiva also tell the BBC that unlike 2010 these anti-government protesters are relatively peaceful, no terrorists?

The police is still capable of keeping red-shirts locked up in a stadium. A total lack of armed militants, no grenade lobbing fun.

Anyway next we'll get confirmation that the aircraft carrier will not be sailing up the Chao Praya.

What will the PM do if the violence is started by the the government backed Red Shirts? The anti-Thaksin movement in Thailand closely resembles the anti-Marcos in the Philippines, many years ago. Marcos used his gangs to put down a movement by the people, to overthrow his corrupt government.

Did the Prime Minister's Secretary-General Suranand Vejjajiva also tell the BBC that unlike 2010 these anti-government protesters are relatively peaceful, no terrorists?

The police is still capable of keeping red-shirts locked up in a stadium. A total lack of armed militants, no grenade lobbing fun.

Anyway next we'll get confirmation that the aircraft carrier will not be sailing up the Chao Praya.

What are you getting your knickers in a twist about? Has it not occurred to you that Suranand was answering a question put to him by a BBC employee? That's what tends to happen you see. When people go to the BBC, they are usually asked questions. That is of course, if they are visiting BBC News.

Of course this may not have been the case. Maybe there is a scandal afoot! BBC takes foreign government's money for party political broadcast! I can see the headlines. Or maybe Suranand just got his own cookery show on BBC Lifestyle and threw in a few protest-related announcements whilst poaching some eggs. Really. Lie down in a darkened room and think of home.

• Like 1

"The protesters merely wanted to surround government agencies in a bid to cause disruption and overthrow Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, according to Suranand."

Merely? blink.png

Sure, they may have no intent to use the Army, but I'm not so sure how steadfast the Army can continue to be with protesters camped out on their lawn doing the George Bush Jr. "you're either with us or against us" routine.

Relax young man, no need to get upset!

BTW here's the BBC article matching the OP:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25099126

What are you getting your knickers in a twist about? Has it not occurred to you that Suranand was answering a question put to him by a BBC employee? That's what tends to happen you see. When people go to the BBC, they are usually asked questions. That is of course, if they are visiting BBC News.

Of course this may not have been the case. Maybe there is a scandal afoot! BBC takes foreign government's money for party political broadcast! I can see the headlines. Or maybe Suranand just got his own cookery show on BBC Lifestyle and threw in a few protest-related announcements whilst poaching some eggs. Really. Lie down in a darkened room and think of home.

The Army chief, Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, and four other top brass were not in the HQ. They have switched to the headquarters of the First Army Division a few days ago and set up a temporary headquarter there.

The army chief has earlier advised all his soldiers not to use force but adopt utmost tolerance in dealing with the demonstrators, saying the Army is siding with the people.

Demonstrators told reporters their forced entry to the HQ was intended merely to ask soldiers to be on their side.

They pledged to leave the headquarters after they gave flowers to senior soldiers late this afternoon.

From a previous post on TV

• Like 1

Just seen the interview with Jonathon Head and Yingluck.

What a load of rubbish.

"I am the election." "I devote myself for the country." "I am election." "Democracy."

Also when asked if the army would be used she said that it wasn't necessary because the "police can be handled."

I don't understand why he didn't challenge her. He was so polite. (Yuk)

What a load of rubbish.

"I am the election." "I devote myself for the country." "I am election." "Democracy."

Also when asked if the army would be used she said that it wasn't necessary because the "police can be handled."

Maybe a very pastry cake box was left outside his door earlier.

Can't or wont use the army?

This presupposes that the Thai military would accept orders from Surapong or any of his cronies. It seems unlikely to me....
But... but.... but Yingluck is the Minister on Defence. She da boss.

Bet you don't really think so.

I'd be more interested if the News of the World were still alive and asking the questions. laugh.png

What a load of rubbish.

I can't find the actual interview, can you please share a link. Thanks.

Also been trying to find the CNN interview yesterday with YL, but can't find that either. Anybody got a link, please.

The Army chief, Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, and four other top brass were not in the HQ. They have switched to the headquarters of the First Army Division a few days ago and set up a temporary headquarter there.

The army chief has earlier advised all his soldiers not to use force but adopt utmost tolerance in dealing with the demonstrators, saying the Army is siding with the people.

Please show me where Gen. Prayuth has said that the Army is siding with Suthep.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Relax young man, no need to get upset!

BTW here's the BBC article matching the OP:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25099126

A little snippet from Jonathon Head's analysis from the BBC report.

"They are a mix of middle-class city-dwellers and provincial folk from the south, the stronghold of the opposition Democrat party, and they all repeat the same mantras we heard during the last round of "yellow" protests in 2008.

That the former prime minister elevated corruption, always a pernicious problem here, to new heights; that he tried to control everything, and is still doing so from self-imposed exile, through his sister Yingluck, the current prime minister."

Politeness does not permit me to pass on my opinion of Jonathan Head.

Did the army go into Ramkhamheng on their own back or did the government ask them to?

Suspect the gov asked them to as they went in unarmed.

Also suspect they would have armed back-up close by and not ready to follow gov orders.