Army to move troops to Hua Hin for Monarch's birthday celebration

webfact

DECEMBER 5'S CELEBRATIONS
Army to move troops to Hua Hin for Monarch's birthday celebration

BANGKOK: -- The army on Friday announced that hundreds of soldiers would be transported to Prachuab Khiri Khan province to take part in the rehearsals for the trooping of the colours and oath taking on HM the King's birthday.

Col Sirijan Ngathong, deputy army spokeswoman, said the army would move about 12 battalions of troops and equipment to an infantry unit in the province this Sunday.

The soldiers will be going to Hua Hin from bases in Bangkok, Prachin Buri, Chon Buri, Nakhon Nayok and Lop Buri provinces. They will take part in rehearsals on December 2 and 3 in preparation for the celebrations for HM the King’s birthday on December 5.

Sirijan said the celebrations would be performed on December 5 at 10.30am at a hall in Hua Hin Palace. The troops and their equipment would return to their bases on the same day.

The armed forces’ celebration has traditionally been conducted at the Royal Plaza in the presence of HM the King. The monarch has been residing at Hua Hin Palace since his discharge from Siriraj Hospital earlier this year.

It is believed that the army made the announcement to quell possible rumours of a coup amidst the ongoing anti-government demonstrations in Bangkok and other provinces.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-29

Yes, Battallions was the wrong word I think. from what I understood it was about 12 platoons (300+ men)

I have always enjoyed watching the review of colors (not sure of the actual name) ... quite impressive. If I get out to CRMA tmw I will ask about who went.

It's called 'Trooping the Colour". The Thai version brings to mind what a Hollywood extravaganza version would be like. Lots of young lads in pretty pastel colours all wearing what appears to be giant acorns on their heads. What battle honours would the Colour display, I wonder?

Unbelievable !! Leave the army where it is, postpone the birthday celebrations until all this illegal protesting comes to an end. These prptesters are breaking so many laws, including illegally breaking into properties they have no right to be in. Get tough Thailand start usin high water jets and then throwthese people into prisons.

in England

Unbelievable !! Leave the army where it is, postpone the birthday celebrations until all this illegal protesting comes to an end. These prptesters are breaking so many laws, including illegally breaking into properties they have no right to be in. Get tough Thailand start usin high water jets and then throwthese people into prisons.

Who's rule of law do you proscribe to, Stalins.

Like it or like it not, this is the way that Thais protest against authoratarian policies they don't agree with.

Not saying it's a perfect situation and there isn't a real need to be more democratic. All sides need to adhere to that principle though and I don't see much of that from either side.

By the way, why postpone any traditional celebrations of his majesty's birthday because of a few rabble rousers?

Do you think that Trooping the Colors at Buckingham Palace to honor the British queens birthday signifies an impending coup?

Life goes on and so will Thailand.

Jerry

Get real, lose the over-repeated dramatizations, and try suggesting something non-escalatory.