Roof Tiles - C-Pac Monier v Excella

jonnyscot

Hi All, after getting some good advice from the lekky experts here on TV we've finally got the Electric cable run to the land and got the meter installed last week, the house build will be starting today, unfortunately (although fortunately in my mind) i'm working away, so i'd like to ask whether anyone has any recommendations on which of the above roof tiles would be best to use.

I believe the Excella tiles will work out somewhere in the region of 100k more in total cost than the Monier tiles, and although I can find some info from my friend google regarding the Excella is superior in the sense that it maintains colour and dust etc doesn't stick to it, and they are much lighter in weight,, I would be interested in any info regarding which if any of those tiles may provide better insulation?? or even whether the roof tiles do or don't play a significant factor in this? sure we shall be installing insulation in the ceiling but every little helps.

Advice appreciated, and appologies in advance as internet here at my work location is crap, so maybe slow in responding to replies.

Thanks

Excella ceramic tiles are probably better than CPAC concrete tiles for a variety of reasons you mentioned but you pay the extra price. Here in my part of Bangkok I see quite a few new homes going up which are installing ceramic tiles....usually it homes on plots of land in the 10M baht plus ballpark. Probably a good choice for new construction. But concrete tiles are also long lasting and cheaper. I'm not sure just the roof tiles alone have much impact on the insulation factor/keeping things cooler....it's the insulation material underneath that probably has a much higher impact. Like many decisions in construction materials many times it just comes down to the level of quality/lifespan of a material you want to use....do I use one that will last 25 years before some maintenance may be required or do I use one that will last 50 years before some maintenance may be required....and what would be the cost of that maintenance be if I'm still living in the home. In Thailand I think ceramic tiles are still catching on/have a small market share simply because concrete tiles are long lasting and cheaper...hard to grow market share quickly with that kind of competition.

• Like 1

Thanks Pib for adding the other considerations I failed to mention regarding the lifespan and maintenance, i'm still unsure whether the benefits of the Excella tile justify the extra cost or not, as you advised probably the insulation materials used are a much more important factor in keeping the house cooler.

Thanks

Excella ceramic tiles are probably better than CPAC concrete tiles for a variety of reasons you mentioned but you pay the extra price. Here in my part of Bangkok I see quite a few new homes going up which are installing ceramic tiles....usually it homes on plots of land in the 10M baht plus ballpark. Probably a good choice for new construction. But concrete tiles are also long lasting and cheaper. I'm not sure just the roof tiles alone have much impact on the insulation factor/keeping things cooler....it's the insulation material underneath that probably has a much higher impact. Like many decisions in construction materials many times it just comes down to the level of quality/lifespan of a material you want to use....do I use one that will last 25 years before some maintenance may be required or do I use one that will last 50 years before some maintenance may be required....and what would be the cost of that maintenance be if I'm still living in the home. In Thailand I think ceramic tiles are still catching on/have a small market share simply because concrete tiles are long lasting and cheaper...hard to grow market share quickly with that kind of competition.

Hi Canopy, nope I havent considered the Genuine Clay Tiles, although I'd appreciate any input you have on the Monier Clay Tiles?,

We had planned before I left in using the Monier Concrete Tiles, but due to a limit on availability on colours of this tile available where we buy,. I know we can make a delivery from elsewhere, but prefer to buy locally if possible, we can also get the shop to order in new stock which I assume should still arrive on time, but just looking at alternative options and hadnt checked out the info on those Excella tiles before I left for work and they do look ok, so yes I would consider Clay tiles if suitable.

Thanks

Did you ever consider the Monier genuine clay tiles?

Yes, I have used Monier Occitane clay tiles. They are high quality, german engineered, double locking, water tight tiles that will outlast concrete and never fade and can be had with no glazes or paints. What I don't like is they our outfitted with the exact same shoddy steel fastening system used for concrete tiles. So while the tiles will last many lifetimes, the fixings are your usual Thai junk. It doesn't make them worse than concrete tiles, but just dumbs them down.

It seems all tile manufacturers claim great insulative value, but without a reliable benchmark or certification what does it really mean? I once saw the silliest demonstration. One manufacturer put a very small light shining on a tile and measured that the tile was not increasing in temperature because it was able to dissipate the tiny heat applied. It's kind of like having a big army tank parked in a garage and holding a tiny flame from a lighter to it and exclaiming "see, the frame of the tank is not increasing in temperature, steel is the greatest insulator and stays cool!". But of course park the tank in the sun for a while and you can fry eggs on it. I brush aside all claims without unbiased verification.

Whoever said the Excella tiles don't get as dirty as regular CPAC was lying - they show dirt even more due to the single color and flat profile.

We're doing a house with the Coco brown ones ATM, and are wondering how we're going to clean them good enough for presentation when the house is finished. Just with the normal dust from construction work, they look terrible. Lighter colors might fare better, but there's no changing that a multi-shade/color CPAC tile hides dirt better.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice on that IMHO, I read from some google seaching that just a shower of rain could clear away the dust from the Excella Tiles, good to hear maybe that assumption I read could be misleading then,

Whoever said the Excella tiles don't get as dirty as regular CPAC was lying - they show dirt even more due to the single color and flat profile.

We're doing a house with the Coco brown ones ATM, and are wondering how we're going to clean them good enough for presentation when the house is finished. Just with the normal dust from construction work, they look terrible. Lighter colors might fare better, but there's no changing that a multi-shade/color CPAC tile hides dirt better.