Alleged Phuket ghost rider in motorbike crash with foreigners

webfact

Alleged Phuket ghost rider in motorbike crash with foreigners
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_201311301142166_lqLfMqdYoeHYA
Police said that none of the men was wearing a helmet. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A pair of injured foreigners reported to police that a ghost rider slammed into them in the southbound lane of Thepkrasattri Road near the Kor En ‘death bend’ early this morning.

American Mike Waltman, 23, was not seriously injured in the incident. However, his 20-year-old Ukrainian passenger, Karl Midman, broke his leg, said Capt Thanom Thongpan of the Tah Chat Chai Police.

The alleged ghost rider, Wichakorn Hattho, 18, suffered a broken leg and head trauma.

“Mr Midman said that he and Mr Waltman were staying at Yacht Haven Pier and were on their bike heading to Phuket Town. He claimed that Mr Wichakorn was riding his bike in the wrong direction and hit them,” said Capt Thanom.

Police reported that none of the three men involved in the crash was wearing a helmet.

“All three were taken to Thalang Hospital. We discharged Mr Waltman from the hospital after administering first aid. Mr Midman was transferred to Bangkok Hospital, and Mr Wichakorn was transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital,” a Thalang Hospital staffer told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

Police are still attempting to verify the cause of the accident, Capt Thanom confirmed.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Alleged-Phuket-ghost-rider-in-motorbike-crash-with-foreigners-22918.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-30

• Like 1

Whats a ghost rider, some who stands on their bike?

The only definition i can find:

Ghost Rider
a Ghost Rider is any motorcyclist that rides with no license plate to make it easier to run from cops. usually ghost riders have an all black bike and clothing and never stop for the flashing blue lights
  • Like 1

One thing about this section of road is there is a huge amount of pavement on the shoulder that the locals ride the other way on,,,,,,,,,,,, regularly.

If you are not used to seeing that and it's night time, I can see how the American rider might have panicked. With approaching rider on left all of a sudden he's on the righthandside of the road (American road rules), thinks he needs to be left of that rider. Bang shebang....

Same in Dutch. "Spookrijder" (ghost rider) someone who drives against the flow of traffic. On the Dutch radio they have regular ghost driver warnings if one is spotted. Oncoming traffic is advised to warn the ghost rider with light signals.

"Police are still attempting to verify the cause of the accident, Capt Thanom confirmed."

I believe this sentence rounds it all up. Foreigners' fault of course - at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lord, how much I hate this f##$ing #$$<deleted> shooting along on the wrong side of the highway just because they are too lazy to do a u-turn. Am I alone here or has anyone else in this forum ever dreamt about going on a hunting spree for these useless, yah bah addicted idiot Wai Loons with a front-reinforced Humvee?

Minus points of course for the foreigners for wearing no helmet. Well, that also is downright stupid. Not talking about the 99 Baht eggshells, but proper full face helmets - would never ride here without one.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

"Police are still attempting to verify the cause of the accident, Capt Thanom confirmed."

I believe this sentence rounds it all up. Foreigners' fault of course - at the wrong place at the wrong time.<snip>

What a stupid comment.

• Like 1

"Mr Wichakorn was riding his bike in the wrong direction"

"Police are still attempting to verify the cause of the accident"rolleyes.gif

By now they can run an entire newspaper only filled with nonsense halfway through researched and written by dilettantish "Editors." Got an idea for a name for such a lampoon?

Maybe the journalist got this from a German - ghost rider ( 'Geisterfahrer' in German ) means a driver that drives in the opposite direction of the traffic.

hi disagree I found this..........

ghost rider
Web definitions
  1. (Ghost—riding) Ghost-riding, frequently used in the context of "ghost-riding the whip" or simply ghostin', is when a person exits their moving vehicle, and dances beside, and around it. Ghost riding is also another term used for car surfing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost—riding

However, I think your explanation is more plausible.

I believe this sentence rounds it all up. Foreigners' fault of course - at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lord, how much I hate this f##$ing #$$&lt;deleted&gt; shooting along on the wrong side of the highway just because they are too lazy to do a u-turn. Am I alone here or has anyone else in this forum ever dreamt about going on a hunting spree for these useless, yah bah addicted idiot Wai Loons with a front-reinforced Humvee?

Minus points of course for the foreigners for wearing no helmet. Well, that also is downright stupid. Not talking about the 99 Baht eggshells, but proper full face helmets - would never ride here without one.

My MIL does it on a regular basis, I'm gonna see if she has yah bah in her shopping bag.....