Scanner Stopped Working

CRUNCHER

I have a Canon MG3170 printer/scanner. When I try to use the scanner I now get a dialog box that says "Canon MP Navigator EX has stopped working". The printer is still working OK.

I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled several times using both the original software and downloads from the internet. Nothing works.

Another computer I have will still scan with no problem. I presume I have some wrong setting on my main computer. Both computer run on Windows 7.

Anyone any ideas please? Thanks.

If the scanner has no problems with your other PC, then its not the scanner.

a few questions.

1) is the copy function working? (not the print function, but a copy from your flatbed) If so your scanner sensor is fine. problem is somewhere else

2) please confirm scanning with another pc is working , if so, your scanner sensor is again fine, problem is somewhere else.

You reinstalled the software and you have the same problem. Now it gets tricky......

There are atleast 2 ways you can scan.

1) hitting the "scan" button on the printer/scanner

2) going through you pc, "start", "control panel", scanners..., and scanning thru windows.

If you haven't tried both, go ahead and do so.

Lastly if you reinstalled the software while the scanner was still attached to PC via USB. try

1)unplugging the scanners USB

2)reboot the PC

3)and reinstalling the software after the full reboot, with the scanners USB connection off.

All I can think of right now. thumbsup.gif

Did the scanner work fine and then just stop? Or have you never been able to get it to scan with the one computer?

I have had a fairly late model all-in-one machine which had no driver available for 64 bit Win 7. So my 32 bit machines would work it but my 64's wouldn't. I just bought a new printer.

When I downloaded drivers, the manufacturer's site gave me a radio button to choose win 7 64 bit and I thought I was in luck, but it didn't work. I contacted support and googled my problem and there was no true 64 bit driver.

When I formatted and installed 64 bit, I lost 2 things. Neither the printer's scan function nor my video card would work. Fortunately I already had a good vid card that would work and did a quick swap, but no go with the printer.

Sorry if that's not your problem.

I had a similar problem with the scanner working one day, not working the next. Try this:

1. Unplug both the power cord and the USB cord from the scanner.

2. Now, plug the power cord first to the scanner , then the USB cord.

It worked for me.smile.png

Thanks to all of you who have replied. Your tima and effort are appreciated.

Those things that I had not tried I have now done, but without success. I have written to Canon and hope for a reply in a few days. If I get any useful info I will post it.

Thanks again.

"Another computer I have will still scan with no problem. I presume I have some wrong setting on my main computer. Both computer run on Windows 7."

I still don't know for sure if this printer ever worked with this computer and if it did, if it suddenly stopped.

I don't know if it's USB, Ethernet, or networked. But it works with one computer but not another. It is probably not the printer.

I don't know if one computer is 32 bit and the other 64 bit, and if so you have the proper (different) drivers for each machine.

With printers using USB, I have found that sometimes switching USB ports is the answer. Don't know why. Especially, I have found printers that won't work from external hubs. I have also seen them where they'll only work on one of the top two ports on a desktop. Don't know why.

"Another computer I have will still scan with no problem. I presume I have some wrong setting on my main computer. Both computer run on Windows 7."

I still don't know for sure if this printer ever worked with this computer and if it did, if it suddenly stopped.

I don't know if it's USB, Ethernet, or networked. But it works with one computer but not another. It is probably not the printer.

I don't know if one computer is 32 bit and the other 64 bit, and if so you have the proper (different) drivers for each machine.

With printers using USB, I have found that sometimes switching USB ports is the answer. Don't know why. Especially, I have found printers that won't work from external hubs. I have also seen them where they'll only work on one of the top two ports on a desktop. Don't know why.

My computer is 64 bit, the wife's is 32,but the printer/scanner worked perfectly on both computers for over a year. Suddenly I could not scan from my computer, but my wife's still works perfectly. Obviously the drivers were OK at one time. Had the same router and setting etc throughout. I changed nothing.

I normally use the printer via my wifi router modem, but have used USB in my efforts to solve the problem. When I used USB and the scan button on the printer the dialog boxes - "scanner warming up..." etc came up. At the last stage, when I should be saving the image to my compter the same dialog box telling me Navigator EX had stopped working appeared.

There is obviously some confict on my computer, but I can't find it.

Thanks for your thoughts.