Friend Moving To Samut Prakan - General Thoughts & Advice Please.

Cuban

I have a friend that is relocating to Samut Prakan (don't know exactly where yet) shortly, I only know the area as viewed from driving along Highway 3.

I have yet to trawl through this forum's past threads for related information but any short snippets of information, guidance or advice would be most welcome. There is little time to tour the area by car first so most previews will be via Street-view, thanks Google.

He will be renting before buying a town house of some sort, budget yet to be established - I see on DDproperty town houses go between 1-2 Million Baht, areas to avoid? As ever the better areas will be expensive so something that is not an "up and coming" building site and nor working class Thai might be more realistic than a farang ghetto.

Is this an area of Bangkok that suffers flooding?

Rental for about 20,000 Baht ? Less maybe?

What is availability and service like for wired ADSL internet access? Typical speeds?

I recall seeing a shopping mall from Hwy 3 in that area - any good?

My friend drives but I can't see him wanting to get involved with Bangkok traffic or any long distance or time in the car.

Thanks for any other thoughts or suggestions.

My first question, who in their right mind would chose to move there of his own free accord, is he a teacher?

Does he have a Thai wife and is she from this area?

Unless he has a job and is being relocated there, those are the only reasons I can think of anyone moving there.

This is an industrial area.

Is this an area of Bangkok that suffers flooding?

Many areas suffer from flooding to some extent, some more than others.

Rental for about 20,000 Baht ? Less maybe?

Rental for what, a 3 bedroom single house on an established moo baan or a townhouse in a Thai area?

What is availability and service like for wired ADSL internet access? Typical speeds?

Sorry to be flippant, up to your friend, he will likely have to install himself.

I recall seeing a shopping mall from Hwy 3 in that area - any good?

Same same, but different.

My friend drives but I can't see him wanting to get involved with Bangkok traffic or any long distance or time in the car.

Refer to my opening statement, why does he wish to move to this area?

Thanks for any other thoughts or suggestions.

Better areas to be in, again I refer to my opening statement, there are better areas to be in, if budget is an issue his choices are limited, if his partner is from this area up to him, if his job sends him here ask for another location.

There are many fine moo baans out that way, as well as numerous golf estate/courses, most will be out of his budget.

Shopping mall you probably mean Central Bang Na.

Bang Pli seems to be an up and coming area, because of access to the HW #3 and #9.

Thanks for the reply - as I said any thoughts or experiences welcomed.

To answer your questions in the hope of more information in return.....

> My first question, who in their right mind would chose to move there of his own free accord, is he a teacher?

No, retired expat moving to the area for the needs of his Thai wife and her family commitments. Bangkok and this area of the city are not his choosing at all, the situation and this result is fait accompli.

> This is an industrial area.
> Is this an area of Bangkok that suffers flooding?
> Many areas suffer from flooding to some extent, some more than others.

I have observed the industrial nature from driving through on Hwy 3, the questions about flooding based on looking at maps of the area - the question becomes which areas are worst affected - or which areas are not affected?

> Rental for what, a 3 bedroom single house on an established moo baan or a townhouse in a Thai area?
Yes.

> What is availability and service like for wired ADSL internet access? Typical speeds?
> Sorry to be flippant, up to your friend, he will likely have to install himself.

Not flippant at all - I phrased the question badly in my hast seeking a fast reply as the news of the move broke yesterday and they are expected to be in the area within five days, yes this is happening suddenly and with ZERO forewarning.

Maybe I should ask if there is general availability in the area - no reason why there should not be but unless you ask a specific question you get a daft answer.

What might the average expected bandwidth be, again no reason to assume that 4,6,8 Mb/s is not normally encountered but unless the question is asked how do i know if this is a famous internet black spot where dial-up is still worshipped along with the Lotus Flower ?

> I recall seeing a shopping mall from Hwy 3 in that area - any good?
> Same same, but different.

Want to try again with this answer ?

> Refer to my opening statement, why does he wish to move to this area?

I refer to my earlier answer - there is no choice in the matter - to make the best of a situation that is bad from every other angle requires some local insight regarding which are the areas best avoided due to crime, flooding or no possible wired internet access.

If it comes down to a choice of Moo Ban A vs Moo Ban B having something more tangible than the shopping mall is "same same" would be helpful. But you don't know the person moving nor the extreme stress that the situation has brought with it so why bother replying at all ?

> There are many fine moo baans out that way, as well as numerous golf estate/courses, most will be out of his budget.

I believe that budget will be a constraint which is why I expect a working class Thai neighborhood to be considered and any nice expat worker's home posted locally within a gated estate to be way outside their budget.

Again knowing which is the best of the bad is more helpful than just pointing out that 5,000,000 Baht condos with outstanding river views are within a short drive is easy to write but completely useless in the context of this thread.

> Shopping mall you probably mean Central Bang Na.

No. I think I mean the Southern area to the East of the river (TBC) probably in the shadow of the elevated section of Hwy 3

> Bang Pli seems to be an up and coming area, because of access to the HW #3 and #9.

Indeed - I have the feeling that it is more likely to be around here than Bang Na.

Cuban,

I understand your concerns and your friends dilemma.

SP is a bit like a smaller version of Bkk, it has its good and bad areas, I hope for your friends sake he is out near the airport.

There are some real rough areas down that way, Prasamut Chedi and Pra Pradaeng spring to mind.

Without knowing the area he will reside its hard to be more specific.

Tell your friend to get onto DDproperty and check out rentals in the area, the cost can vary by large amounts, a townhouse for 6k per month, a place on a golf course 75k per month.

For internet I honestly dont know, if he is renting somewhere that already has a line installed he may be stuck with that provider, or may have to install his own.

The usual 10mb should be available depending on the provider.

As for flooding, it can be as simple as a heavy downpour for roads to become flooded, 3 or 4 hours later you wouldnt even know it had rained.

There are the usual Big C and Tesco/Lotus spread all over the place, dont know if Imperial World is still in Samrong or not.

it's like asking about somebody moving to Bangkok, Samut Prakan is a very large area covering both sides of the river, everything from the airport, mega bangna to fish farms and countryside. property prices and rentals are cheaper than Bkk. Mobile phone signals can be poor to non existent, I should know I live there.

, Prasamut Chedi and Pra Pradaeng spring to mind.

Some parts of Pra Pradaeng are very nice and famously lush. A lot of Prasamut Chedi is rough as a dogs arse though-that's where are!! It's not bad around param 3 the shop you saw was probably the mall tapra.

Edited by sms747

I can't answer all of your questions. However, we live in a 200 sq.mtr house in Bangna. It's a gated community with swimming pool and exercise room. Very close to Tesco Lotus on Bangna Trad, and a few minutes drive from Mega Bangna. Our rental is 30,000 p/m for a two year contract. A quiet area. Your friend will need a car or be willing to use taxis for any shopping etc.

The agent who assisted us is Patty. 0856611672. She was reliable and very helpful.

Hope this helps

, Prasamut Chedi and Pra Pradaeng spring to mind.

Some parts of Pra Pradaeng are very nice and famously lush. A lot of Prasamut Chedi is rough as a dogs arse though-that's where are!! It's not bad around param 3 the shop you saw was probably the mall tapra.

Many times as I have driven down Thepharak I am reminded of Orchard Rd or The Champs Elysess.

For the mrs there are scenes in the first BL movie she can remember, The Big Boss also known as Fists Of Fury.

You are spot on about PJ, rough as a badgers ass, pity the poor TEFLrs that have to live there.