1yr Non O multi entry for volunteering

I just received the above noted visa.

I plan to volunteer while taking TESOL course and teach English. After a while I plan to get work as a teacher. Or maybe some other type of work. I'd also like to study Thai and possibly work at the same time.

A few questions..what can and can't I do with this type of visa?

Will I need to exit and re-enter the country every 90 days? Those are my initial questions...any website or link on this visa type and its responsibilities appreciated. I'm Canadian.

As well my visa is dated a week ago and is valid for a year from that date,

I will enter Thailand in 1 month.. When's my year over? From date of entry or expiration of visa?

Edited by wcoast

To legally to do any kind of work you need a work permit. If you are doing volunteer work with an organization they should provide the paperwork for it.

You will have to leave and re-enter the county every 90 days.

After you get the work permit with documents supplied by the organization you could get an extension of stay at immigration. Then you would you would not need to leave every 90 days.

You are , of course free to study anything.

Working is another issue as noted above.

You will need to leave every ninety days unless you can secure an extension of stay.

The visa remains valid for one year from date of issue.

NB

I am surprised you have secured that "multi-entry" Non O visa . Did you just make a simple application for the visa in Canada?

Edited by Sceptict11

Yes you need a work permit. It does not matter if you are being paid or not. You should talk to the foundation/organization about the work permit. If they are legit and are registered with the government getting the work permit should not be a problem.

I plan on starting out taking the course and volunteer teaching with them. The conversation we are having long term is what kind of fit I'd be and where I might be most useful in their organization.. So ultimately I plan to be in a paid position with them. Both sides need some time to see how we can help each other. I do need to make a living, and they need my talents.

Thanks for the link.

I note how expensive the courses are and how little is said about "government" or other support of this organisation.

However, I am sure you have done your research and are happy with what is being offered.

Do not forget any work in Thailand requires a work permit. Penalties for working illegally can be severe.

You might also ask if any of the Akha students have progressed to futher or higher education in Thailand or have secured even a basic trade qualification .

Best wishes

The courses are expensive..but they have scholarships and incentives for bringing in others...as well it includes accommodation.. the online course is $299 for a 120hr TESOL, with mentoring. Sounds fair to me.

As you wish / believe.

I would urge you to ask questions about the Akha students prospects!

Edit

spelling !

Edited by Sceptict11

When you say prospects..do you mean their likeliness of advancing in work or opportunities in life? Or do you mean their effective English skills? I personally feel every person is unique, some may run with it and move to a city or town and seek a better education or employment. Others might stay close to home and family. The fact these children are getting an education greatly appreciates their prospects in life.

When you say prospects..do you mean their likeliness of advancing in work or opportunities in life? Or do you mean their effective English skills? I personally feel every person is unique, some may run with it and move to a city or town and seek a better education or employment. Others might stay close to home and family. The fact these children are getting an education greatly appreciates their prospects in life.

I do not intend to enter into a big debate.

Clearly you are ignorant about many issues affecting the Akha people .

When or if you arrive I will be delighted to hear from you about the Akha people who are fluent readers/writers and speakers of English ! I would also be interested to learn about the other educational achievements which have improved these peoples lives.

The Akha are , among others, a very disadvantaged people with few if any rights. The Canadian Inuit are an advantaged people in comparison.

A few "free" English lessons will do nothing to improve these peoples lives.

Come back to me when you have a full grasp of the issues and then it may be possible to have a discussion.

Many so called volunteering / non-profit organizations are there also fo allow their founders and officers a free stay and some money. Unlike the volunteers that are demanded payments beside work.

In no case you will be issued a work permit and the terms for your legal stay will be strict, unfair and bureocratic just as for anybody else that is not a millionaire.

Edited by paz

Many so called volunteering / non-profit organizations are there also fo allow their founders and officers a free stay and some money. Unlike the volunteers that are demanded payments beside work. In no case you will be issued a work permit and the terms for your legal stay will be strict, unfair and bureocratic just as for anybody else that is not a millionaire.

Suspect this closer to the truth than some will care to admit.