My wife's brother's driving is driving me 'round the bend

RikDao

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You had better pay close attention and memorize everything that you think that he is doing wrong! They most likely will be the correct answers on the written test that you will have to take to get your license. You'll eventually get used to it if you stay long enough. I've had mine for 16 years and if I drive like I do here or had been stopped for as many traffic violations (100 baht tea money) in the states I would be banned from driving for life when I finally got out of jail!

• Like 1

Take a chance on living, you can eliminate 50%+_ chance of a accident by driving yourself. This is not a verifiable figure, but via the red neck process of elimination, take 1 accident looking to happen individual out of the two driver equation (coming and going) and your odds increase a tad.

Ha ha good post mate and welcome to Thailand. Thank <deleted> we have an automatic. The driving in Thailand is horrendous, nearly as bad as Houston TX......ha ha. Just look forward to owning/purchasing your own vehicle in Thailand and all will be well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Driving yourself is definitely the way to go here if you want to spare your heart. I've never had an accident in 4 years, but avoid one per second, literally. Just a question of habit

My own brother in law reversed my car straight into a tree when he'd had a few at Songkran - I didn't mind the bump in the back as it's only metal, however I did ponder on what his reaction would've been had I done that to his precious 4x4 monster. Nice guy nonetheless.

That's why most people here drive automatics - brake and accelerate like in a video game, no knowledge of how it actually works.

Driving yourself is definitely the way to go here if you want to spare your heart. I've never had an accident in 4 years, but avoid one per second, literally. Just a question of habit

My own brother in law reversed my car straight into a tree when he'd had a few at Songkran - I didn't mind the bump in the back as it's only metal, however I did ponder on what his reaction would've been had I done that to his precious 4x4 monster. Nice guy nonetheless.

That's why most people here drive automatics - brake and accelerate like in a video game, no knowledge of how it actually works.

You let someone here drive your car................w00t.gif .................laugh.png

one more time, Welcome in Thailand.

When traveling with Thai people I drive the car or I am sleeping, im not scared because they drive like this for a long long time and probebly it works for them but it irritates me somewhat to look at it..

I chuckled to myself the first time I drove my pick-up with the bed packed full of people from the soi to visit a friend in the hospital.

Driving in Thailand is loads of fun, you can never completely relax. Much more situational awareness required than is needed in the states. And it will take you awhile to stop hitting the windshield wiper when you mean to hit turn signal. But, I never pass where I can't do so safely.

Have you ever drove on the 610 loop? Or the Beltway 8 for that matter? That's one crazy place to drive in. At least in the states 99% of the time people ard driving in the same direction :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Please note: I'm not English, OK, so that's why I put that little apostrophe next to "round" in the title, OK?

Being English, this has really annoyed me. So much so, that I've forgotten what the thread was about.

Dear, we Americans, as you know, take great pride in our (OK, your) language and make every attempt to speak and write it correctly, thank you very much.

• Like 2

Please note: I'm not English, OK, so that's why I put that little apostrophe next to "round" in the title, OK?

Being English, this has really annoyed me. So much so, that I've forgotten what the thread was about.

Dear, we Americans, as you know, take great pride in our (OK, your) language and make every attempt to speak and write it correctly, thank you very much.

Apology accepted. At least you've made the effort.

You let someone here drive your car................w00t.gif .................laugh.png

He talked my wife into it while I was away for the afternoon - if I'd been there he would never have dreamt of it laugh.png

hahahahaha, mate, welcome to Thailand. My wife drives exactly the same way, I am forever telling her to change gear, taking off in second or third and wondering why we stall, overtaking with the car chugging as she accelerates from 30 kph while in top gear etc, etc.

You will get used to it, well maybe, I still hide my face after 2 years........

Buy a automatic, will help

lol, welcome to Thailand...

Actually, there are posters on here who posit that the option of travelling with Taxi, MiniBus or some other type of transport that involves a Thai driver, by definition should be considered safer than driving yourself. The same posters also claim they have been exploring Thai transportation for over fifteen years without having an accident and for this reason they have made the assumption that Thai traffic and Thai drivers in general are completely safe (and if you dare provide some hard facts you'll end up on their ignore-list").

Only one solution, get your own car and drive yourself. You'll end up avoiding an accident every minute or so, so be prepared to focus.

• Like 1

Believe me, I'll get a car and I'll be perfectly fine out on the road. The towns and cities will be more difficult for me, but I'll be going pretty dang slow. Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone! In some ways, wife's brother is the best teacher I could have, right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app