New Guitar shop in town...

FolkGuitar

You're lucky then! Prices down here in Bangkok are about 30-50% or more than what you would pay back in the US. sad.png

I brought mine back on a plane. I miss a store like this!!

I normally expect much higher prices here, especially on top-end guitars. That's why I was so surprised to see a Martin D-28 selling for the same price I found the last time I was in the States. I thought perhaps if was a knock-off... until I played it. There was no mistaking the Martin well-balanced sound nor the incredible sustain it produced. I was reluctant to give it back to the shop clerk.

It would almost be worth it to fly up from Bangkok to check this shop out, except there is no way to know if these particular guitars will give you the sound that you personally prefer in a guitar. As much as I liked that D-28, it didn't have the sound "I" prefer. In fact, there was a Washburn for half the money that did have the sound I prefer, but didn't come close to the balanced sound of the Martin, nor nearly as nice sustain. Still in all, at half the price I could take the Washburn and make a compensated nut and saddle out of mammoth ivory that would increase both...

• Like 1

In addition to the resources mentioned by Khun FolkGuitar, I'd like to mention my own positive experience with the Airport Plaza 3rd. floor guitar/music shop. They carry some high-end guitars, many Yamaha steel-string guitars, and some Yamaha classicals.

Khun Ooh, who works there, is a qualified luthier, and tech; he did some nice work in smoothing the frets, adjusting the action, and bringing out the sustain and tonal resonances, on my low-end-go-anywhere travel guitar, a Yamaha classical C-70.

Happy fretting !

~o:37;

There are quite a few talented luthiers in Chiang Mai, far more than I ever would have suspected given the size of the city. Thanks, Khun Orang37 for telling us about yet another!

I do my own saddle and nut work for action adjustment, and neck straightening, but I don't have the tools here to do body repairs. It's always good to find qualified luthiers for that day when the bridge begins to lift!

You're lucky then! Prices down here in Bangkok are about 30-50% or more than what you would pay back in the US. sad.png

Could you tell me what the shop name you mean in Bangkok?

30-50% is for sale only this period? or always cheaper when compare with US price?

I believe he was saying that the Bangkok prices were 30-50% HIGHER than US prices. That is usual for high-end guitar brands sold in Thailand. The shop I found yesterday in the Central Festival Mall had the same prices as in the US which was a surprise!

I priced D-18's last year. Quite a big difference, and a very limited selection. So got one back in the US.

Was also in the market for a used strat. Big difference in prices here and a very poor selection. Obviously compared to the US or Europe.

Import taxes add a bit, low demand also adds a bit.

I priced D-18's last year. Quite a big difference, and a very limited selection. So got one back in the US.

Was also in the market for a used strat. Big difference in prices here and a very poor selection. Obviously compared to the US or Europe.

Unless I'm going blind, the D-18 in the Central Festival mall was selling for 38,000 baht. The D-28 was selling for 82,000 baht. VERY low prices... which is why I questioned their authenticity. Usually the only way to get low prices for Martin was to buy Sigma, the Martin-licensed and inspected guitars made outside the US, currently owned by a German firm and produced in China by Martin-trained luthiers. I have the Sigma DR-45, an exact copy of the Martin D-45 but made with newer woods. Solid Sitka spruce top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, Mahogany neck, Indian Rosewood fingerboard, bone nut and compensated saddle, Ebony bridge, Grover tuning machines... What's not to like? The balance of sound is not Martin, neither is the sustain, but for 1/3 the price, it comes pretty dam_n close! They were out of production since 2007, but back in biz last year after being sold by the Japanese firm.

"M.I.W. Guitars" on Changklan Rd in Chiang Mai has a good selection of Sigmas at great prices. I'm thinking about their 12-string as a Christmas present to myself!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Hmmm....I got the 2012 D-18 from Elderly one year ago. About $1,900. Pretty close to the best price I could find. There are some more expensive models, but I've never seen one for less than this. If so, has to be a copy?????

Cheapest D-28 I saw was close to $4,000. Would have LOVED to buy one, but a bit over my budget. sad.png

Hmmm....I got the 2012 D-18 from Elderly one year ago. About $1,900. Pretty close to the best price I could find. There are some more expensive models, but I've never seen one for less than this. If so, has to be a copy?????

That's what I thought too when I saw it. Then I played it for about 5 minutes... No question in my mind that it was real. I've owned Martins before, had a D-18 and a D-28 for many years. No doubt in my mind that the guitar I played on in the shop was the real deal. The kicker could be that the price I saw was just for the hard box for it? rolleyes.gif

If that Martin is out of your budget, I recommend that you take a look at the Sigma line. Martin licensed Sigma to use its brace patterns, trained its luthiers to craft the instruments, and checks the guitars before they are permitted to be sold. The biggest difference is the age of the woods used; Martin's woods are 20-40 years old, while Sigma's woods are 10-20 years old. Other that that, they are just about identical. The tone is remarkable!

Could also be it is older than 2012, when they completely redesigned the guitar. When I bought mine I could have saved several hundred dollars by getting a 2011. But the advances in the 2012 were just too hard to pass up!

I have a second guitar that is a knock off Martin made in Japan in the 1960's. Quite nice. But nothing like the Martin!

I'll take a look at the Sigma line next time I'm in Bangkok. Thanks!!

Could also be it is older than 2012, when they completely redesigned the guitar. When I bought mine I could have saved several hundred dollars by getting a 2011. But the advances in the 2012 were just too hard to pass up!

I have a second guitar that is a knock off Martin made in Japan in the 1960's. Quite nice. But nothing like the Martin!

I'll take a look at the Sigma line next time I'm in Bangkok. Thanks!!

These knock-off are precisely the reason Martin created the Sigma line... It was their attempt to compete with the Japanese pricings for guitar lines such as Yamaha and Takemine. In 1970, Martin formed the Sigma Corp, licensed the Martin bracing pattern and production methods, trained the luthiers, then required all guitars made to be shipped back to Martin in PA for final inspection before sending out to retailers selling primarily in Europe and Asia. They produced guitars 'almost' as good as original Martins, but able to sell for 1/3 the price.

Could you tell me what the shop name you mean in Bangkok?

30-50% is for sale only this period? or always cheaper when compare with US price?

I believe he was saying that the Bangkok prices were 30-50% HIGHER than US prices. That is usual for high-end guitar brands sold in Thailand. The shop I found yesterday in the Central Festival Mall had the same prices as in the US which was a surprise!

Thanks for explain, I will go to check at Central festival for sure

Good News!!

SuperBie, I see your avatar playing electric. I really don't know how this new shop is for electric guitars. I was really only paying attention to the acoustics. But from what I've seen, the shop on Changklan Rd, called M.I.W. (it's the first shop of two as you head south from Sri Donchai Rd,) has some really great electrics; American-made Gibsons, Fenders, Guilds, etc. Not my cup of tea...err...music, but I can recognize quality when I see it! How about you checking out the shops and giving us some feedback?

Good News!!

SuperBie, I see your avatar playing electric. I really don't know how this new shop is for electric guitars. I was really only paying attention to the acoustics. But from what I've seen, the shop on Changklan Rd, called M.I.W. (it's the first shop of two as you head south from Sri Donchai Rd,) has some really great electrics; American-made Gibsons, Fenders, Guilds, etc. Not my cup of tea...err...music, but I can recognize quality when I see it! How about you checking out the shops and giving us some feedback?

M.I.W is the palce for good brand Hi-End electric guitar, I been there many times

the price add about 5-10% from the cheapest place in Bangkok but doesn't matter to fly from here to get things

I can try the one I like here with a good suggestion from the owner

if you want to play electric guitar, this place is 1st recommend in Chiang Mai

Unless I'm going blind, the D-18 in the Central Festival mall was selling for 38,000 baht. The D-28 was selling for 82,000 baht. VERY low prices... which is why I questioned their authenticity. Usually the only way to get low prices for Martin was to buy Sigma, the Martin-licensed and inspected guitars made outside the US, currently owned by a German firm and produced in China by Martin-trained luthiers. I have the Sigma DR-45, an exact copy of the Martin D-45 but made with newer woods. Solid Sitka spruce top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, Mahogany neck, Indian Rosewood fingerboard, bone nut and compensated saddle, Ebony bridge, Grover tuning machines... What's not to like? The balance of sound is not Martin, neither is the sustain, but for 1/3 the price, it comes pretty dam_n close! They were out of production since 2007, but back in biz last year after being sold by the Japanese firm.

"M.I.W. Guitars" on Changklan Rd in Chiang Mai has a good selection of Sigmas at great prices. I'm thinking about their 12-string as a Christmas present to myself!

That may have been the price for the case on the D-18, or else it is a knock-off. The going price for a D-18 in the US is about 1700 to 1900 US dollars, case included. The D-28 price sounds like a good price for Thailand. You do have to be careful of fakes though. About three years ago while on holiday prior to relocating here, I priced some Martin guitars at an upscale mall in Bangkok. They had one D-28 that was an obvious fake. The binding and tuners were wrong, and the craftsmanship was terrible. They did have a D-15 that I believe was the real thing. It was priced at a little over 1200 USD, while they were selling in the US for about 850 USD. The acoustic guitar players on here may already be aware of this, but the best way to get an estimate on the value of a new Martin guitar is to go to their website. Then take 40% off of their suggested retail price, and that should be pretty close to the retail price you pay at any guitar store in the US, case included. I agree that Sigmas are fine guitars. My uncle has one, and I sometimes play it when I am back home.

Good News!!

M.I.W is the palce for good brand Hi-End electric guitar, I been there many times

the price add about 5-10% from the cheapest place in Bangkok but doesn't matter to fly from here to get things

I can try the one I like here with a good suggestion from the owner

if you want to play electric guitar, this place is 1st recommend in Chiang Mai

Agreed, I bought a fender strat there not too long ago, a bit more expensive than in America but actually cheaper than what I'd pay at home, folkguitar turned me on to the place,

I couldn't find a standard strat in CM and then he brought me to MIW, hands down the best guitar shop in CM, also the owner totally refurbished my old acoustic washburn and it's sounding better than ever.

Folkguitar, did you see any dobros over at that new guitar shop?

That may have been the price for the case on the D-18, or else it is a knock-off. The going price for a D-18 in the US is about 1700 to 1900 US dollars, case included. The D-28 price sounds like a good price for Thailand. You do have to be careful of fakes though. About three years ago while on holiday prior to relocating here, I priced some Martin guitars at an upscale mall in Bangkok. They had one D-28 that was an obvious fake. The binding and tuners were wrong, and the craftsmanship was terrible. They did have a D-15 that I believe was the real thing. It was priced at a little over 1200 USD, while they were selling in the US for about 850 USD. The acoustic guitar players on here may already be aware of this, but the best way to get an estimate on the value of a new Martin guitar is to go to their website. Then take 40% off of their suggested retail price, and that should be pretty close to the retail price you pay at any guitar store in the US, case included. I agree that Sigmas are fine guitars. My uncle has one, and I sometimes play it when I am back home.

Just to be sure, I went back today without my wife hurrying me along... I played on four different Martins; D-28, D-18, 00-18 and another that I don't recall. All were genuine. No question of that in my mind. No one, and I mean NO ONE can get the 45-second sustain on an acoustic, combined with the balance of power and tone out of the strings the way Martin can! I also brought a lighted inspection mirror to check out the workmanship inside. Clean as a whistle. I've never seen any knock-offs take that much care in production. There is ALWAYS some glue running out from the purfling or ragged edges on the scalloped braces. These were Martins. There were 7-8 in stock, some being the new 'Green Martins,' which I didn't bother to play on. I did play on a nice Taylor and two very nice Washburns. The prices on all the guitars in this shop were quite low, in my not-so-humble opinion! Seemed like normal US prices to me!. The staff was good too... They didn't hover on top of me while I was playing on the different guitars, or try to hurry me into a sale. I'd point to a guitar and they'd take it off the wall and hand it to me, then leave me alone with it. Nice shop. I wonder if they have a luthier associated with the shop?

Agreed, I bought a fender strat there not too long ago, a bit more expensive than in America but actually cheaper than what I'd pay at home, Folkguitar turned me on to the place,

I couldn't find a standard strat in CM and then he brought me to MIW, hands down the best guitar shop in CM, also the owner totally refurbished my old acoustic Washburn and it's sounding better than ever.

Folkguitar, did you see any dobros over at that new guitar shop?

No, I didn't see any there at all. The only resonators I know of are the ones we saw at M.I.W. on Changklan Rd. But they did have a very good selection of acoustics, especially Washburns and Taylors up and down the price range.

But no bout adoubt it, Phrasit is a very good luthier and can really bring out the best in a guitar. If you really want to hear your Washburn sing, let him make a bone compensated saddle for it and add some bone bridge pins too. The combination of the two really increase the sustain and bring out the best in tonal quality. I doubt he charges more than 400-500 baht to do the job. I just bought some more bone blanks from Stu-Mac company for myself, but M.I.W. buys their bone from Stu-Mac too. I just like to make my own... smile.png

Edited by FolkGuitar

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the tip!

I'll be in CM in a few weeks and this time (4th trip) I plan to buy used instruments rather than deal with the flippin nuisance of flying with them and save them from the beating they always take from the diffence in humidity between Montana and Chiang Mai.

Looking forward to poking around those stores you mentioned.

What I'm looking for is an acoustic guitar and a mandolin that have some miles, plug in, good acoustic voices and a nice necks. Thinking I'll probably want to sell them before I head home from BKK in March, there are plenty of instruments here. Don't have a 'budget' in mind but I don't really want to spend much $$.

I did a search in Chiang Mai News classified, didn't turn up anything.

I wonder if you might have any suggestions?

DS

I don't know any shop that is selling used guitars. Quality guitars that is... But if you are looking for a nice mid-priced guitar to play on for a few months while you are here, there are three shops that I would look at... First M.I.W. on Changklan Road. They've a very nice selection upstairs. Second would be the shop in Central Festival Mall, and the third the shop on the third floor of Kad Suan Kaew. There are a couple of Taylors, Segas, and Yamahas there that have nice sound.

I'll do that!

Not looking for anything special or spendy, just need decent instruments and don't want new ones, I'll nick them for sure.

I want a few pre-installed nicks and dings so mine don't stand out so much.

How do they compare to US prices?

I've been checking the CM City Life classifieds, slim pickins there.

I appreciate the clues, thanks much.