Our little man and some severe mosquito bites!

BIGJIMMY

Hi, our little fella is 10 months old and has been bitten a few times in his little lifetime and at first the bites seem to go down, we put cream on etc but then when the bite gets to a little red dot size it just doesn't disappear so he now has a few of these on his body, I assume that the poison of the bite just isn't completing leaving the body hence the red mark.

Any advice people - other than don't let him get bitten again - not always possible in this country.

Thanks

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it's mossie bites? Babies do get some red spots on their skin. Does he sleep under a net?

I don't think anyone can suggest anything bar the obvious solutions which you probably already know them. Good luck with it mate.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Breastmilk Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There's probably a market for breast milk sent from iPhones. You would have to get the app properly approved by Apple, but I think you're on to a winner there. wink.png

Wow, a customer milking Apple....a novel idea when used to things being the other way around! :D

• Like 1

If you would like to go the prevention route... there's a product to attract mossies out there, trap them and dump them (sorry I don't know what it's called). I saw 3 in a huge garden (they work inside as well) doing the job in real life; I'd love to introduce my local kindergarden that I see spraying-n-fogging every 2 weeks; poor kids. Check out Mobile:

0819923714, Email: [email protected]
Edited by mcofer
  • Like 1

Yes there is many plants , mint and it's family easy to plant in pots or garden .

For baby you can put few mint leafs next to his /her bed it will drive away mosquitoes.

But if mosquitoes lots and just hatch , I am not sure

Apart from mosquito lotion, mosquito nets try going on our site for mosquito trap, i think this is the link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/637899-mosquito-trap/

Be careful, mozzies bite in the afternoon (dusk) and like plants to hide under during the day, i would really try all the

advice on this post, dengue fever is around Thailand and Laos, not a good thing to get.

Good luck.

My little one gets the odd ant bite as well. Little buggers they are and hard to see. leaves a red lump/mark that sometimes has a little white spot in the middle of it. Not much to be done about it. Is your baby formula fed? some babies get a late reaction to it, or if you change the formula brand. Ours is breast fed but at the hospital wife was not producing milk the first day so we had formula and she broke out with these red spots all over.....Dr. said hormone reaction, but I think it was a reaction to the formula. We out of necessity had to feed her formula at around the 2 month mark and the same thing happened....red spots all over her body.

But I ain't no Doctor.

Citronella as mentioned above works well, and personally would prefer it over deet. I did an experiment on myself using DMSO with an alkaline additive (mineral salts like potassium chloride) which neutralised the acid for 'after the event' bites.

Bed net, window net, air circulation, rackets, full body light clothing...aircon helps, fans help, but no directly on baby, no stagnant water nearby, such as empty bins no covered or covers upsidedown etc, mosquito u see indoors mosquito you kill

I use Aerogard Odourless spray available in Australia from Pharmacy Online.

Active ingredient: Picaridin

You can also get Tropical Strength which does have a strong smell, but its worth it,

much better than the itching associated with bites

http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/brands/aerogard/

It gives a few hours protection and not unpleasant to use.

Thanks for all the replies, basically the red mark is whats left of the bite, it starts off quite prominent then goes down over a few days and then after a week or so there is a little red mark, he hasn't been bitten whilst in out house as we have mosquito doors etc and i'm quite prone to the buggers as well so we're quite cautious but we've recently been in the village for the Buddhist blessing ceremony of the little one and although we were very proactive with repellent, nets, fane etc he still copped a few on his face and again there is the last remnants of it - a little red dot.

Jimmy

Thanks for all the replies, even the stupid ones, basically the red mark is whats left of the bite, it starts off quite prominent then goes down over a few days and then after a week or so there is a little red mark, he hasn't been bitten whilst in out house as we have mosquito doors etc and i'm quite prone to the buggers as well so we're quite cautious but we've recently been in the village for the Buddhist blessing ceremony of the little one and although we were very proactive with repellent, nets, fane etc he still copped a few on his face and again there is the last remnants of it - a little red dot.

Jimmy

I would love to see a study on what works from a Uni that is NOT being funded by a company they are studying ,

Mozzies love me , my hotel room seems to get some each trip as the maids like to open the windows which do not have screens.

But another buddy has a "swamp" near his home and has gotten Dengue 2 times......

I have seen a fan suction machine that was supposed to rid the area of Mozzies , but never saw an independant study ....

Baking soda mixed with a little water to make into a paste. Dab it on, rub it a bit and leave it. As far as I know it is just an anti itch. Babies body will deal with the swelling.

In the future look into homeopathic prevention as it won't be the last time he gets bit by mossies. And of course the real issue is malaria, dengue fever, etc. Find a practitioner online that will ship it to you. I use one from Australia. My kids take the Homeopathic prevention for diseases mossies carry during the times of year when they are most at risk. No side effects.

Google homoeoprophylaxis. Which is what we (and millions of others) choose to use for disease prevention as opposed to dangerous vaccinations.

p.s. this is not a repellent. one still needs a repellent. and it sure as heck shouldn't be a chemical!

Edited by doglover

electronic inscet repellents, voltage required. emits blue hue, seems to attract plenty of insects. wake up to find a boatload of them in the tray smile.png

anyone want to post a link of one they bought and that worked !

is it the blue color or ??? that attracts the mozzies ?

electronic inscet repellents, voltage required. emits blue hue, seems to attract plenty of insects. wake up to find a boatload of them in the tray smile.png

anyone want to post a link of one they bought and that worked !

is it the blue color or ??? that attracts the mozzies ?

You can buy in Big C a small bed table model for about 300thb...Works OK...but some mosquito are aware of the blue light and will prefer fly direct to your skin instead....Why use chemicals on your skin when you can use coconut oil???....If you do not mind the fragrance ...it is recommended also for cosmetic use and massage....and safe for children. Any good pharmacy and mall's market carry coconut oil products...

My wife uses a green sab it comes from lemon grass it comes in a small round tin green and white she calls it som bak it really works on all types of bites and skin irritations

Thanks, where does she buy, my Mrs has never heard of it?

Thanks

Bed net, window net, air circulation, rackets, full body light clothing...aircon helps, fans help, but no directly on baby, no stagnant water nearby, such as empty bins no covered or covers upsidedown etc, mosquito u see indoors mosquito you kill

I'm also a magnet for mosquitoes.

This poster above, by far, has given the best self help.

Sometimes the obvious answers are also the correct ones.

Following on from above ... I get masses of the red spots/welts from the mossy 'bites'.

Here is the best reason why ...

Only the female mosquito feeds on blood ... facepalm.gif

Though we commonly call them mosquito bites, she's not really biting you at all. The mosquito pierces the upper layer of your skin with her proboscis, a straw-like mouthpart that allows her to drink fluids. Once the proboscis breaks through the epidermis, the mosquito uses it to search for a blood vessel in the dermal layer underneath.

When she locates a vessel, the mosquito releases some of her saliva into the wound. Mosquito saliva contains an anti-coagulant that keeps your blood flowing until she is finished with her meal.

Now your immune system realises something is going on, and histamine is produced to combat the foreign substance. The histamine reaches the area under attack, causing blood vessels there to swell. It's the action of the histamine that causes the red bump, called a wheal.

But what about the itching? When the blood vessels expand, nerves in the area become irritated by the swelling. You feel this irritation as an itchy sensation.

Here

Hope that helps ...