Thai PM rejects protest demands in national address

george

Well, at least she finally said something. I think I just might take her up on her willingness to resign and call for new elections. Let's see if she really means it.

With so many Shinawatra's in the family. Finding a replacement wouldn't be such a problem, would there be??? whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Yeah, and it doesn't even have to be a family member. I have been there as people in a predominantly red area were talking about an election (like a provincial one or something) and they were talking about who to vote for. Several times, people said "who is the guy who is with Taksin?" and then someone told them and they all agreed they would vote for that guy. There will always be a stand-in, even if it isn't someone from the family.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"She also said she did not know what to do"

The first honest words from anyone in this government. clap2.gif

laugh.png Tell us something we didn't know, it's been blatantly honest that she doesn't know what to do, for the past two years.

If she resigns now, this would lead to an endless story of come and go come and go, dancing after whoever fancy to start a personal vendetta against the sitting power to be. When it comes down to Thaksin and his family just about the only thing they havent been accused of is the high fatalities in traffic accidents. Who will be the next target of the street mob. Surly a country can not be run like this, that whoever feels a fancy, start street protests and demand incredible stupid things like a peoples council. Tell me someone, where the hell in a modern society would this pass for good value. I cant think of anywhere except maybe one of the piss poor African countries. It is one word, and one word only for the things set in motion by Suthep these days, and that is anarchy, and he seems well on the way reaching his goal. I just hope for the Thai people that this will end peacefull, but i have my doubts.

Under Thaksin, Yingluck and the PTP... this country is already being run like a piss pot African country. That is why it is time for change so that you can have exactly what you want.. a western style democracy with checks and balances and a fair election system.

And which Thai Government has NOT been run like a piss pot African country?

Thailand want's to be a modern, prosperous country so maybe they should look

how other democracies work but that just wouldn't be "Thai Style".

First I think, Thai people will need to learn what "Democracy" really means.

If ones party is on the loosing end, in 4 years time they have a chance to

change if that's what the majority wants and not go and trash the capital.

Who really cares if it's a red, yellow, blue or green government running the country

if at least it brings some kind of stability. Seams to me, the only time Thailand was

a "Land of Smiles" in the last 100 years was either when a King or the Army ruled

the country.

Are Thai People to stupid to govern themselves?

What are the REAL political options for Thailand's future?

Now we start over and over again.New elections.The reds are winning again etc....etc.clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

Dont you mean the Reds are buying the votes again.

That's why all of Isaan voted for these #@%&* people in the first place.

Asked my FIL why he likes mr T and all he said was he gave me 500 baht.

Offered FIL 1000 baht to be on yellow side and he OK.

Money talks in Isaan

A pure rubbish you talk. Isaan people take money from everyone but votes for the government that builds them roads, 30 Baht hospital etc. My in-laws take money from every political party. The Democrats distribute money too in the South with Khun Suthep beining the main financier. How on earth could you think that as a Kamnan he can end up in Bangkok politics. The agricultural and transportation portfolio made it possible. By the way I think your FIL must be a bit strange that he doesn't take the money from every political party. In the last general election in Isaan it was the Bhumjaithai Party that spend up to 400 Baht per vote. PTP only spend here 100 Baht as everyone know that Newin betrayed Thaksin by joining the Democrats after the coup. They all took his money including from the other political parties when the canvassers came by. 500 Baht seems to be more to me that your FIL must be based in the South of Thailand to vote for the PTP.

Looking at Yingluck, I think so far she has handled the situation very well and Suthep is finished.

He was actually finished under the Chuan government, the Abhisit government after being in charge of security several years ago and he hit the wall with his current actions.

The democrats had some good leadership including Chuan Lekpai, Surin Pitsuwan and the former secretary general of the WTO but the good guys abandoned the Democrat Party for retirement or overseas jobs so the guys left at the Democrat Party are the leftovers and new comers with that handsom men called Abhisit and a crazy guy from Surat Thani and I hope he will be prosecuted as he is no longer more an MP.

Don't think that the Royal Thai Army wants a guy like Suthep on the top as PM.

Please do not feed false information. The Democrats never distribute money in the South, never anywhere, never by Khun Suthep.

Please provide evident next time, not just talk talk talk.

How could the PM of an elected government accept the requests of these criminals?

They are not protesting anymore. They are mad dogs on the loose. w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif width=18 alt=w00t.gif>

The responsibility of Yingluck is to protect the country against the insanity of Suthep and his yellow thugs, now that they left their silly whistle and turned to violence.

If the Dems, Suthep and their thugs succeed in destroying the democracy in Thailand, we all already know what would the next step: Millions and millions of peaceful people, who just want the country to go on, would launch a counter protest, together with the reds. And more blood would follow...

Suthep's aim is to deny the people the right to elect their leaders. Nobody can accept that, except the Dems who never win any election. If only the Dems had better leaders for their supporters to choose from...

Let's hope that the police can stop these thugs before it is too late. They were not afraid to shoot 3 red shirts inside the stadium, now we realize that they are ready to rely on violence to reach their despicable goals.

There thugs represent only a fraction of the country. Many are "imported" from the south by Suthep to incite violence.

The blind and naive people who thought these crazy people were the "nice, gentle and educated Bangkok middle class" must realize now that they have been fooled. Criminal thugs, that's it. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif width=19 alt=bah.gif>

The extremists will, of course, continue to argue that these awful people are not thugs on the loose, but gentle and peaceful middle class families, not to forget the hard working "students", coming to express their dissatisfaction, how funny 20x20xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka. width=20 alt=laugh.png>

+1 for your post.

Looking at many of the TV's clippings, their are not many left from Bangkok on the street.

Suthep is great in moving people down from the South to Bangkok but on TVF users will think you (we) are a red shirt supporter.

• Like 1

Yingluck says People’s Council has no legal basis

yingluck-9-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGLOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said Monday afternoon that she was willing to step aside or to dissolve the House of Representatives but could not hand over the administrative powers to the so-called People’s Council as demanded by the protesters because there is no legal basis for such a demand.

Speaking in the “Prime Minister Meets the Media” progamme which was televised nationwide, the prime minister stressed that her government did not attach to powers and would do anything which would restore peace and order to the country.

As for the demand for handover of administrative powers to the People’s Council, Ms Yingluck said she could not figure how this could be done in accordance with the Constitution.

“I will not make myself a condition or a problem for the people. Whatever than can be done for the people, the country and for the sake of peace, I am willing..please have sympathy with me,” the prime minister was quoted to have said.

She pleaded with the protesters not to close down government offices, saying that the officials need to be kept operational in order to serve the public. She said that most government offices except for a handful remain open on Monday despite the call by the protesters to stop working.

The prime minister went on saying that her government is still open to talks with the protesters.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yingluck-says-peoples-council-legal-basis/

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-12-02

• Like 2

So why Madam Prime Minister are you still clinging to power like mistletoe to an oak tree?

To be honest you are nothing more than the proxy clinging to power for your objectionable brother. He like you has no concern for the damage caused to Thailand and its peoples physically in body counts and injuries and financially.

Regarding democracy, we all know what your brothers views are on that subject, he doesn't believe in it as his comments and actions have proved over the last decade or so.

You are a public servant, act like one. Face up to reality, the public have judged your puppet government and your puppet master brother and have indeed found you wanting .

The public are not here to serve you and your family's interests nor your brown nosing acolytes interests either.

So resign.

Using your logic every leader in the free world should step down as all are beholding to lobbyist etc.

You say as a public servant she should listen to a small fraction of the people instead of the greater

majority who elected her & step down?

Folks who believe the screaming of a relatively small mob ( compared to 70 million population)

May think as you do but,

#1 not our call

#2 Not the small mobs call either

If you read Thai go look at the major Thai sites & forums.

There you will see little to no support for this disrespectful mob & mainly

calls for a firmer hand dealing with this mob & returning the city to a place of order.

The majority speaking there feel when you attack the elected government & seize govt buildings

you are in fact attacking Thailand.

As a non Thai it is not my fight but I am amazed at so many so called

enlightened & advanced folks who come from so called democratic societies calling

for an overthrow of a democratically elected government. They also make snide remarks

about what a terribly run government this country has, how Thai's do not know what democracy is

& yet they call for an overthrow & this is where they choose to live?

Who more the fool?

I was today calling our office in Bangkok and also 80% of our staffs don't like PTP they said they no longer go on the streets as they no longer are associated to Suthep as they remember the red shirt rally several years back. My friend said that now it's the Southern people that battle the police on the streets and the Bangkok office staffs left long time ago. Our CEO also distributed an internal email tat nobody should get involved in the street protest during lunch. Our office near Police HQ now handles mainly the responses from tour companies overseas that want to cancel their trip to Thailand.

I asked him why don't you go to the streets and all my friend said was that he has to work and make money (work). The people's now on the streets have no permanent jobs and they are hired thugs from the South. This time its the hired thugs from the South so may be next year it's the hired thugs from the North.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Now we start over and over again.New elections.The reds are winning again etc....etc.Posted Image alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

Money talks in Isaan

A pure rubbish you talk. Isaan people take money from everyone but votes for the government that builds them roads, 30 Baht hospital etc. My in-laws take money from every political party. The Democrats distribute money too in the South with Khun Suthep beining the main financier. How on earth could you think that as a Kamnan he can end up in Bangkok politics. The agricultural and transportation portfolio made it possible. By the way I think your FIL must be a bit strange that he doesn't take the money from every political party. In the last general election in Isaan it was the Bhumjaithai Party that spend up to 400 Baht per vote. PTP only spend here 100 Baht as everyone know that Newin betrayed Thaksin by joining the Democrats after the coup. They all took his money including from the other political parties when the canvassers came by. 500 Baht seems to be more to me that your FIL must be based in the South of Thailand to vote for the PTP.

Looking at Yingluck, I think so far she has handled the situation very well and Suthep is finished.

He was actually finished under the Chuan government, the Abhisit government after being in charge of security several years ago and he hit the wall with his current actions.

The democrats had some good leadership including Chuan Lekpai, Surin Pitsuwan and the former secretary general of the WTO but the good guys abandoned the Democrat Party for retirement or overseas jobs so the guys left at the Democrat Party are the leftovers and new comers with that handsom men called Abhisit and a crazy guy from Surat Thani and I hope he will be prosecuted as he is no longer more an MP.

Please do not feed false information. The Democrats never distribute money in the South, never anywhere, never by Khun Suthep.

I have been 24 years in Thailand and I wonder how many time you actually have been in the South during election. They not only distribute money in the South but even in Bangkok. I lived in the 90's in Yala when I was married to a Muslim woman. At the same their was no Thaksin yet.

All political parties give money in Thailand and Kamnan Suthep from Surat gives money too if not he would never be today where he is. Kamnan's are in charge of canvassing votes and we all know the Suthep was the main financier of the Democrat Party in the early 90's. Oh yes, I met both Kamnan Suthep (Ministry of Communications) and Khun Korbsak (formerly from Chat Pattana) in the past. Posted Image 

Everybody takes money in Thailand. If you don't now that, you haven't been long enough in Thailand.  Posted Image 

Are you truly advocating cheque book democracy?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now we start over and over again.New elections.The reds are winning again etc....etc.clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

Money talks in Isaan

Please do not feed false information. The Democrats never distribute money in the South, never anywhere, never by Khun Suthep.

I keep hearing that Puea Thai bought votes during the last election. Where is the evidence of that? Or is that also just BS?

Edited by jackrich

Money talks in Isaan

I have been 24 years in Thailand and I wonder how many time you actually have been in the South during election. They not only distribute money in the South but even in Bangkok. I lived in the 90's in Yala when I was married to a Muslim woman. At the same their was no Thaksin yet.

All political parties give money in Thailand and Kamnan Suthep from Surat gives money too if not he would never be today where he is. Kamnan's are in charge of canvassing votes and we all know the Suthep was the main financier of the Democrat Party in the early 90's. Oh yes, I met both Kamnan Suthep (Ministry of Communications) and Khun Korbsak (formerly from Chat Pattana) in the past. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Everybody takes money in Thailand. If you don't now that, you haven't been long enough in Thailand. giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif

Are you truly advocating cheque book democracy?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not at all but it's not about me but about the Thai people. If they want to get some extra income why not. They have to listen for hours what those political parties have to say and listen for weeks those loud speakers from the pickup trucks so if they want to make a few hundred Baht out of it who cares. On the end when they vote they vote for the party they believe can help them most but the Democrat Party just isn't on the list. Maybe PTP, Chat Thai, Bhumjaithai or even Chat Pattana but certainly not the party from Suthep as they didn't give shix for the last 50 years since they have been a party.

After all I am not voting in the Thai election but my Mrs is not taking money in the election as I would be offended, but then again she doesn't need that few hundred Baht. She actually told me she dont want to vote again as she is tired. When she saw that crazy guy from Surat Thani and all the battles with the police on the TV her first reaction was why nobody stops this guy. I say this is Thai politics giggle.gif

• Like 1

I am in the office in Bangkok. also was at the offices of one of the Banks here. what I hear seems to confirm the idea that k. Suthep is a bit too drastic.

As for 'paid for Southerners', that's nice for hearsay. I heard other things. The people now on the street are a nice mix from all social strata, young and old, ricg and poor, with or without job. Above all, people with a serious dislike of a government only talking about democracy while trying to ignore laws to get a criminal fugitive amnestied. 'Please wait' the PM said and if all would have waited and not protested the 'blanket amnesty bill' would have been accepted under the motto 'well, no one said anything against'.

I was today calling our office in Bangkok and also 80% of our staffs don't like PTP they said they no longer go on the streets as they no longer are associated to Suthep as they remember the red shirt rally several years back. My friend said that now it's the Southern people that battle the police on the streets and the Bangkok office staffs left long time ago. Our CEO also distributed an internal email tat nobody should get involved in the street protest during lunch. Our office near Police HQ now handles mainly the responses from tour companies overseas that want to cancel their trip to Thailand.

I asked him why don't you go to the streets and all my friend said was that he has to work and make money (work). The people's now on the streets have no permanent jobs and they are hired thugs from the South. This time its the hired thugs from the South so may be next year it's the hired thugs from the North.

BTW Our village is Red Shirt but the people in our village are smart and voted Bhumjaithai because the village head men who is a Christian by the way is a smart guy and really does know what our village needs. He made it very clear to the Kamnan who is PTP that we need new roads, a kindergarden with a playground and the Kamnan approved it also it might was a big expensive as somebody took a cut of it.

If no one takes a cut of it their would be no anuban, no roads but all in all we are happy with our village head men and the new road they build. Potholes in the streets are solved within days and I no longer have a problem running my SUV or chopper on the streets.

I even nicknamed our village head men and call him Khun Newin as he canvassed for Bhumjaithai but all the red shirts like him because he does a lot of good things for us in the village even if he is not from the PTP but thats all that's counts. The PTP won on the general election last time but I an sure our village head men will be in for a long time even if he represents Bhumjaithai.

• Like 2

Money talks in Isaan

I keep hearing that Puea Thai bought votes during the last election. Where is the evidence of that? Or is that also just BS?

I realize you've only been a member of this forum since a little before 5 pm, but if you go back and search through TV you'll find all the evidence you need. Not to mention Youtube and BP--although you'll need BP's pay service to access their older articles.

• Like 1

Using your logic every leader in the free world should step down as all are beholding to lobbyist etc.

You say as a public servant she should listen to a small fraction of the people instead of the greater

majority who elected her & step down?

. . . . . . . . .

I believe that in a real democracy, the majority is already happy with their elected government,

otherwise they would not be in power. So, the elected government should listen to the minorities

in order to make compromises and keep a nation unified. Never mind if they are political, ethical

or religious minorities.

If people are unhappy with policies the government implements, they can ask for a petition.

If people are unhappy with the constitution, they can ask for a referendum and all voters can

have their say.

BUT - as long press and media are controlled by governments, army or just a few protesters,

how can people make clear choices?

In a democracy, the army is there to protect a countries sovereignty and is a tool of the elected

government and not the other way round. Although it seams to me, here in Thailand, not the

police nor the army are listening very much to their employer, the government. Any government.

And those governments aren't listening very much to their employers the people either.

So still, a very, very long, hard and bloody way to go for Thailand to become a democratic country

and then when they are, people will be to lazy to go and vote but rather sit in a pub or watch football.

How to stop when students are killed? U think their parents will let this thing rest? Yingluck say no force will be used, but why are there real bullets used on protestors?

Also why were there no police to help?

Apart from helping the red shirts of course.

common the police where there .... the trouble started at about 8.30pm

20 or so cop trucks rolled up at 11PM

That is pretty good response time 555

I believe that in a real democracy, the majority is already happy with their elected government,

otherwise they would not be in power.So, the elected government should listen to the minorities

in order to make compromises and keep a nation unified. Never mind if they are political, ethical

or religious minorities.

How do you figure she ( The PM ) got elected?

What was once called "The Greatest Nation On Earth"

Has a President by the name of Obama

His approval ratings are below 50% (45%)

Should the citizens start approaching the govt buildings & overthrow him?

Only if they want to be tagged & bagged wink.png

The citizens there know how it goes. He was elected he will serve his

term.

I of course agree any leader should reach or at least try to reach across party lines.

As all parties even defeated ones are part of the population.

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

There is not a shred of democratic principle about Suthep and his gang any longer, I would say they have crossed the line and are now a fascist group.

Do people really want to see an unelected council of old farts in charge of the country? So sad too see stuff like this being defended on here

otherwise they would not be in power.So, the elected government should listen to the minorities

or religious minorities.

How do you figure she ( The PM ) got elected?

What was once called "The Greatest Nation On Earth"

Has a President by the name of Obama

His approval ratings are below 50% (45%)

Should the citizens start approaching the govt buildings & overthrow him?

Only if they want to be tagged & bagged wink.png

The citizens there know how it goes. He was elected he will serve his

term.

I of course agree any leader should reach or at least try to reach across party lines.

As all parties even defeated ones are part of the population.

And as history shows, he will most likely be elected again wink.png

In our western democracies we have become so accustomed to our democratic rights

we have become so lazy in our democratic duties and only a handful of "political activists"

will go and vote, the rest sit's at home, eating Sunday dinners and watch TV.

Sometimes I really wonder, do we even deserve democracy?

"We" fought many bloody battles in our western world for democracy, just as Thailand has

done now for many years but we don't use our rights we gained. Instead we have become

complacent and politically lazy.

For the moment, anarchy seams to me a more likely future for Thailand then democracy sad.png

How to stop when students are killed? U think their parents will let this thing rest? Yingluck say no force will be used, but why are there real bullets used on protestors?

The Yingluck Government confirmed today that live rounds have not been used.

In 2010 the then-opposition also denied any link to the 'men in black'.

• Like 1

The true goal of Sutep and Abisith is eliminating the elected government (they say it openly) and to establish a right-wing / royalist yellow-shirt dictatorship without parliament and democracy, if necessary with the assistance of the military forces. That's why they refuse new elections (because they know they will loose the elections).

The true goal of Sutep and Abisith is eliminating the elected government (they say it openly) and to establish a right-wing / royalist yellow-shirt dictatorship without parliament and democracy, if necessary with the assistance of the military forces. That's why they refuse new elections (because they know they will loose the elections).

How is that any different to what Thailand has now?

The only difference would be, the country might be lead by well educated and well spoken people as oppose to a yobo like Jatuporn

How is that any different to what Thailand has now?

Look to some examples we have in the world of ultra nationalist government (dictatorship?).

Then think once applied to Thailand, how will make this country so nice towards us foreigners living and working here....

Here is the difference.

The perfect thing would be the intervention of someone loved by all Thai people, make a government with people who knows how to deal with the Country problems, not connected to the Elite, and ready to make the interest of every social layer.

Yep, I am dreaming... But sure Yingluck and Suthep are what is worst for Thailand now.

I had sympathy for Abhisit, but he is clearly a puppet as Yingluck is.