Pizza base

Carlosm

I live in a remote part of Thailand, 120kms from the nearest Tesco, Big C or Makro. But, i am willing to travell to one of them if i can bulk buy deep pan style pizza base's. A guy in town now sells pizza and gets his base's out of a plain cardboard unmarked box and of course wont tell me where to buy them. So if anyone knows where, proberbly Makro, could they let me know. Thanks.

Makro has pizza bases but, IMHO, they are really crap! why not make your own dough. You can make a big batch and freeze individual portions for later use. I live in the sticks also and the biggest problem that I have is getting yeast that is not dead. i make a universal dough that can be used for pizza crusts, but also flour tortillas and flat bread depending how you prepare it. PM me if you want the recipe.

Making it is the way to go. Most Lotus', Big C, Tops etc will sell the yeast which is important, after that it's plain sailing. My biggest problem is I don't have a pizza stone. Got all excited a while ago when people were suggesting using discarded granite...not so good.

Here's a decent recipe that I have used, and for now at least I super heated baking tray:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/homemade_pizza

Makro has pizza bases but, IMHO, they are really crap! why not make your own dough. You can make a big batch and freeze individual portions for later use. I live in the sticks also and the biggest problem that I have is getting yeast that is not dead. i make a universal dough that can be used for pizza crusts, but also flour tortillas and flat bread depending how you prepare it. PM me if you want the recipe.

Thanks for your help.... really appreciated :)

Making it is the way to go. Most Lotus', Big C, Tops etc will sell the yeast which is important, after that it's plain sailing. My biggest problem is I don't have a pizza stone. Got all excited a while ago when people were suggesting using discarded granite...not so good.

Here's a decent recipe that I have used, and for now at least I super heated baking tray:

I do not understand your comment about using a piece of granite as a baking stone. I had a piece cut 10 years ago for use in my oven and it works great for pizza and bread. I make the pizza on a sheet of baking parchment and then slide it on to the hot stone. Makes a great crust. Perhaps you were trying to cook directly on the stone rather than use the baking parchment?

Make my dough from a sourdough starter I've been using for years... makes a great dough and even better bread.

pizza dough is one of my recent projects as I've found that the kids here in the house like pizza...an', we got an oven, so what's holding up the show?

you guys that 'got the trick' gotta tell us what ye know and post them recipes for us to get on the move to a better world...

I'm gonna get a stand mixer with a 'dough hook' as fooling around with bread dough is a mess otherwise...(queue Harry Dean Stanton in Repo Man: 'I'm gonna get a tow truck and a couple of pit bulls and open my own yard!')...

so lets see some recipes for the dough...don't be holdin' out on us (grrr)...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

(there's always got to be a story) pizza dough goes back a long way...in 1969 tutsi was deliverin' pizzas with Pizza Man ('he delivers' as the slogan goes) in Pasadena and in the shop they had a dough mixer about 10 foot high that needed an access ladder for the operator to heave in 100lb sacks of flour...the washing of the apparatus required high pressure hoses and an industrial scenario was presented to the wonder of all...and we did good business...(knock, knock: 'Pizza Man!' and then a naked woman that answered the door would thrust money and grab the pizza with a pirouette and a slam of the door...)

later in 1971, tutsi was delivering pizzas in La Habra on the outskirts of LA county and they used prefabricated husks for the dough...tutsi was disgusted: if ye can't do it right then don't do it at all...they also did fried chicken and baked ribs and the baked ribs scenario has stayed with me with glorious appreciation in rural Thailand...and the original ribmaster was a whiteman retired accountant with his own recipe...he was originally from Kansas and a supporter of the temperance movement...

when tutsi moved along from La Habra there were tears all around...

I do not understand your comment about using a piece of granite as a baking stone. I had a piece cut 10 years ago for use in my oven and it works great for pizza and bread. I make the pizza on a sheet of baking parchment and then slide it on to the hot stone. Makes a great crust. Perhaps you were trying to cook directly on the stone rather than use the baking parchment?

Make my dough from a sourdough starter I've been using for years... makes a great dough and even better bread.

I didn't use parchment paper, and whatever they used to seal the granite oozed out when I heated it in the oven

I have a Halogen Oven; I just posted a lengthy topic about it. I also use it for pizza. I don't have a stone but I did take an old, warped 10" cast iron skillet, hacksawed the handle off where it joins the pan and set it upside down inside my cooker. I pre heat it for about 15 minutes and then set the dough on top.

Admittedly, the result is not New York Pizzaria quality...but not bad either.

I have a Halogen Oven; I just posted a lengthy topic about it. I also use it for pizza. I don't have a stone but I did take an old, warped 10" cast iron skillet, hacksawed the handle off where it joins the pan and set it upside down inside my cooker. I pre heat it for about 15 minutes and then set the dough on top.

Admittedly, the result is not New York Pizzaria quality...but not bad either.

I love you TV members ingenuity . I'm happy to just go out to bkk restaurants and buy a pizza. Especially from small pizza . Italian restaurants .. Yes expensive but ok with me. Keep it up

We who live in Back of Beyond land tend to learn all sorts of ingenious skills. I actually enjoy not having easy access to a lot of the usual western stuff, its taught me how to cook, bake all sorts of stuff, kinda takes me back to a simpler age. Reminds me of when I was a kid in rural California back in the 60's and my Mom made everything in the house.

• Like 1

I love you TV members ingenuity . I'm happy to just go out to bkk restaurants and buy a pizza. Especially from small pizza . Italian restaurants .. Yes expensive but ok with me. Keep it up

We who live in Back of Beyond land tend to learn all sorts of ingenious skills. I actually enjoy not having easy access to a lot of the usual western stuff, its taught me how to cook, bake all sorts of stuff, kinda takes me back to a simpler age. Reminds me of when I was a kid in rural California back in the 60's and my Mom made everything in the house.

I'm actually getting that way. If you had told me 10 years ago i can now make my own soups, stews and even bacon i would have laughed my head off. But as you say, living in the sticks, which i ador, has changed everthing i do for the better and its also much more fun and rewarding .... and tasty :)

• Like 2