Advice

saab

I am going to the states for about 6 months and as usual I will be leaving my car at the in-laws house.

The car is locked and protected from the sun, but I feel that it is possible that someone in the family has copied my keys, just a hunch I have no proof, so just to put my mind at rest I want to discreetly disable the car.

Removing the battery is the obvious but not discreet route, so does anyone have any other suggestions ?

Car is a diesel engine

have a kill switch fiited that cuts the power from the ignition switch to the starter motor and have it hidden under the dash where it cannot be seen or accessed easily. You will have to disconnect the battery so this would be the best bet, otherwise you could fit an immobilizer that kills all power to the car then even if they have a key to the ignition they will not be able to use it. You could also fit a wheel lock and explain that it is to stop anyone stealing it, this would work too.

A good auto electrician could do the kill switch/immobilizer easily enough but get it done a long way from where it will be left. A metal worker can easily make up a wheel lock with metal rods/bars plus a good padlock that is positioned so it cant be cut.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

If it's a gasoline powered car, take out the rotor in the distributor.

Its a diesel and if it was a petrol it would have to be 20 years old to have a distributorrolleyes.gif

Just mark and pull the relays as posted, that will do it...

Edited by Kimera
  • Like 2

It is a good idea, or maybe remove the carburetor. But these new cars don't have this anymore, I got told....Now they even speak about sending television in color......

• Like 1

Its a diesel and if it was a petrol it would have to be 20 years old to have a distributorrolleyes.gif

Just mark and pull the relays as posted, that will do it...

I have had or even looked under the hood (bonnet) of a gasoline powered car since I left the US in 1997! Oops, that was a long time ago. Mine is diesel but going on 15. You can park it at my house but you'd better bring a cover, the chickens would love a new roosting place.

To deter the abuse of the room mates in college, i had a cutoff switch to the fuel pump and they would be stranded at least 10 miles from home. The tow charges and hassle made it stay off limits. You should remove the battery at least and trade/sell it for credit until you get back and need a new one anyways!

The best solution is to leave it somewhere else where you can trust it to be not touched.

The other option is a lock that sits under the steering wheel, it locks both the brake and the ignition and is hard to tamper with. They sell them at many places and there are models for most common cars.

On most newer GM cars you just have to remove the fuse that powers the instrument cluster.

If they turn the key it will just go click.

As a further precaution you can deliberately burn a fuse and insert it instead of the good fuse (this will make less obvious if they try to troubleshoot).

• Like 1

Besides what others have said write down the mileage on the odometer is also a good idea...then you will see if it has changed while your gone if not doing anything...a hidden kill switch or pulling fuses is what i would do also. ..a more hightech approach would be a logger

Edited by Evolare

Not sure there is much you could do (above suggestions included) that a willing Thai child could not bypass or fix, if they wanted to. My in-laws have been stripping down and rebuilding cars and motorbikes from about the age of 5. Just saying.

But if you do not want them to drive it just say so. Just curious as to why you would not want them to drive it. After all it is just a car. Cars are meant to be driven.

Not sure there is much you could do (above suggestions included) that a willing Thai child could not bypass or fix, if they wanted to. My in-laws have been stripping down and rebuilding cars and motorbikes from about the age of 5. Just saying.

But if you do not want them to drive it just say so. Just curious as to why you would not want them to drive it. After all it is just a car. Cars are meant to be driven.

"Just curious as to why you would not want them to drive it"

Now thats a question that requires no answer.cheesy.gif We all know the answer to this in 90% of all cases and why take a chance on the other 10%.

• Like 1