Preparing To Go To Mae Sai

Ok, I did my duty and read up on what I could easily find on the topic here before posting. Good stuff, but I have a few little particulars to ask about.

1. How often does the bus go from CM to Mae Sae? What's the best time to brutally tear myself out of bed before noon?

2. ######, I'm out of crappy little photos & haven't noticed where I can get some flattering new ones. I need a couple, right?

3. I've fooled myself into thinking I'm going on a trip, not just a necessary run. What about a side trip to close by places like Chiang Saen? Maybe break up the marathon bus ride?

4. Oh, this one's important. Can I cross everyday including Sunday? And, if my VISA expirres on the 15th, does that mean I have to renew it on the 15th or before the 15th.?

5. I assume the facilities on the bus include just holding it in.

6. Anyone spend the night in Mae Sae and come back the next day?

OK, thanks.

Ok, I did my duty and read up on what I could easily find on the topic here before posting. Good stuff, but I have a few little particulars to ask about.

1. How often does the bus go from CM to Mae Sae? What's the best time to brutally tear myself out of bed before noon?

2. ######, I'm out of crappy little photos & haven't noticed where I can get some flattering new ones. I need a couple, right?

3. I've fooled myself into thinking I'm going on a trip, not just a necessary run. What about a side trip to close by places like Chiang Saen? Maybe break up the marathon bus ride?

4. Oh, this one's important. Can I cross everyday including Sunday? And, if my VISA expirres on the 15th, does that mean I have to renew it on the 15th or before the 15th.?

5. I assume the facilities on the bus include just holding it in.

6. Anyone spend the night in Mae Sai and come back the next day?

OK, thanks.

REPLY:

1. there's a 24-seater VIP bus leaving CM for Mae Sai at 8 AM. Return VIP leaves Mae Sai 15.20 PM, which gives you about four hours in Mae Sai/Tachilek, world enough and time for visa, shopping, lunch.

2. Any Kodak or Fuji photo shop will be able to help you out, I think.

3. This entails puzzling together bus time tables and going on pretty uncomfy buses; OK if you're not in a hurry. But I'd do it in the one day, just to get it over with.

4. Why not be a day early, i e go on the 14th, in case something happens (this is what most people do).

5. The VIP bus makes no pit stops on the way, but there's of course a loo aft.

6. I guess Mae Sai is good for an afternoon sightseeing and a night out; it certainly breaks up a pretty tedious trip.

Yes, the border is open every day

Technically, you are due by midnite on the 14th

In practice, you're okay until midnite on the 15th.

Edited by Ajarn

Don't worry, they are not required :o

Really? I needed them everywhere else and that's why I ran out. Well, I have just ONE left. Now I remember a photo place in the mall when I can get my next batch. I'll need 'em in the future if not now.

Really? I needed them everywhere else and that's why I ran out. Well, I have just ONE left. Now I remember a photo place in the mall when I can get my next batch. I'll need 'em in the future if not now.

If you are only going into Myanmar for a visa run, you do not require photos. Having said that, if you enter Myanmar at Mae Sot, the price doubles to $10 and they will ask for photos. Don't ask me why :o

That's not how the dates worked for me. The last three stamps in my passport read:

8 Jan - 6 feb

3 Feb - 4 Mar

3 Mar - 1 April

The 30 days start on the day of arrival and the 30th day is the day you must leave. You have until the end of the day stamped in your passport

That's not how the dates worked for me. The last three stamps in my passport read:

8 Jan - 6 feb

3 Feb - 4 Mar

3 Mar - 1 April

The 30 days start on the day of arrival and the 30th day is the day you must leave. You have until the end of the day stamped in your passport

As I stated, technically you don't, but in practice, you do. Ask at cutoms to confirm.

In your passport, it says either, 'up to' or 'must leave by', or something along those lines... Meaning 'up to, but not including'. Customs won't sweat the last day, but if you do one day over, you'll be paying for two, in my experience.

Edited by Ajarn

An alternative is to take the VIP to Chiang Rai and stop a night or two there. The buses from Chiang Rai to Mae Sae are frequent and the fan costs 30 baht one way (I think) and takes about an hour. Songtaew from the bus station to the border is 8 baht each way if you get crammed in or a rip off if you charter one for yourself (100 baht?)

An alternative is to take the VIP to Chiang Rai and stop a night or two there. The buses from Chiang Rai to Mae Sae are frequent and the fan costs 30 baht one way (I think) and takes about an hour. Songtaew from the bus station to the border is 8 baht each way if you get crammed in or a rip off if you charter one for yourself (100 baht?)

Best alternative in my opinion is to take a motorbike taxi för Bt30 from the bus station down to the border.

Good place to overnight in Chiang Rai is the very pleasant Baan Bua guesthouse in Jetyod Rd, right in the center of town and close to the bus station. Bt250 per night. Booking recommended, even in low season.

Best alternative in my opinion is to take a motorbike taxi för Bt30 from the bus station down to the border.

That's a peachy thought :o sixty five Kms on the back of a bike whose driver you have never met before. Death and wish are two words that spring to mind. The border is up, not down, as you would be travelling north :D

The guesthouse isn't that bad either, if it's the same one I'm thinking of.

Thanks for the tips. Seems I'm going to be on a tighter schedule than I anticipated because of unforseen appointments. Guess I'll make more of an adventure about it next time around. Looks like I'm going to be making a monthly voyage so there'll be plenty of opportunity.

Chiang Rai is OK, but I've been there already. I'll wing it. If I'm tired i may stay a night in Mae Sae, but I guess doing it all in one day will make it seem less of an ordeal in my many probably future trips.

That's a peachy thought :o sixty five Kms on the back of a bike whose driver you have never met before. Death and wish are two words that spring to mind. The border is up, not down, as you would be travelling north :D

The guesthouse isn't that bad either, if it's the same one I'm thinking of.

I mean of course the MAI SAE bus station, 2-3 clicks from the Myanmar border. 30 baht would be VERY cheap going from Chiang Rai.