Income letters no longer available from British Consulate in Chiang Mai ?

rawhod

Yesterday in "Thai visa, residency and work permits" Lite Beer posted information from Immigration regarding income requirements for foreign married couples. The information also contained the following statement.

"Separately, the British Embassy has confirmed that none of its provincial staff is empowered any longer to provide notarial services. Those Brits requiring income letters for the Immigration Bureau must now deal with the main embassy in Bangkok or find another local consulate willing to provide the service.

The German honorary consul in Phuket stated recently he believes that his office could provide some such services for Brits but that he was seeking formal permission from Berlin. It may take some time before European Union consulates in places such as Pattaya, Koh Samui and Phuket feel confident enough to fill the gap left by the retreat of the British Embassy from provincial Thailand.

Source: Immigration Bureau

thaivisa-news.png.pagespeed.ce.ASDmYCLRp
-- thaivisa.com 2013-12-03

It looks like we will no longer be able to obtain Income confirmation letters from the British Consulate in Chiang Mai...

Before you post you should get your facts right Chiang Mai consulate are still doing Income letter all it take is a phone call to get the right

I did put a question mark in the title because I wasn't 100% sure...

Edited by rawhod

Before you post you should get your facts right Chiang Mai consulate are still doing Income letter all it take is a phone call to get the right

I did put a question mark in the title because I wasn't 100% sure...

End of thread.

• 5 weeks later...

Income letter for Brits in Thailand

go to this link

https://www.gov.uk/n...de-for-thailand

and scroll down to

"services we provide in Thailand"

scan down to income letter and....

follow instructions - easiest by post IMHO Hope that helps

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Below is extract from site copied 4/01/2014

Consular letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration

We can issue a standard letter addressed to Thai Immigration confirming your pension/income to support the renewal/extension of your retirement visa. This letter is a Thai requirement and the granting of the visa is at the sole discretion of the Thai Immigration authorities not the British Embassy.

Please ensure the pension/income evidence you provide is in a form that is simple and easy to understand and contains the essential financial amounts that are required for inclusion in the letter. According to Thai Immigration, your pension currency should not be converted into Thai Baht.

The fee for this letter is payable by cash or credit card if applying in person or by postal order for the exact amount if applying by post. The letter can be collected in person or sent to you by express mail with an additional postage and packaging cost of 100 Baht. Please note that fees can change without prior notice.

If you are unable to visit us in person, please mail us your request stating the total pension amount received monthly/yearly and enclosing the required documents. Please make the postal order (available at Post Offices) payable to the “British Embassy” and to be cashed at “Nana Post Office Bangkok 10112”.

Fees

Fee 2(i) Letter in English THB 2,430 EMS postage and packaging THB 100

Documents required for this service

• original valid British passport or a photocopy if applying by post
  • proof of address such as outlined above
  • evidence of your current pension/income which will be returned to you

Do note that the separate income statement wasn't necessary to marry in Chiang Mai.

My embassy said it was, and charged me a nice fee for it. But when it came to actually marrying at the district office, it was not needed. (This as advised by the small agency that did the translation and certification by the ministry of foreign affairs. Which was nice of them, as they could have made more money just translating it.)

So, small Chiang Mai agency is more on the ball than my embassy.

• 1 year later...

I have just returned from the British Consulate Chiang Mai after collecting my 'proof of income' letter. I was informed that next year I would have to apply to The British Embassy Bangkok and that I should check the website of the Embassy for furthr information. Additionally the extremely pleasant member of staff said that this procedure would be effective from 1st February 2015.

anyone no how long immigration will allow time frame on income letter im due late febuary for extension using the income method would immigration allow a 3-4 week time gap as i could go next week get income letter before they finish.

60 days from date on letter to complete visa.

empire_eclipse.png

(graphic borrowed from What if website)

Looks like the sun set a long time ago but now the lights are being turned off .... one has to review what

the purpose of the consular service will be ? Not a good future career choice Voluntary or otherwise. off to shed a tear........

I spoke to the British Consulate this morning, as my annual letter for proof of income is due in February. They confirmed that as another poster already said, applications for such letters have to go by mail to British Embassy Bangkok from 1st February onwards. Quite tiresome, and yet another reduction in service for UK citizens living abroad.

Given that Passport application checking service, and now notary letters have been withdrawn, I politely asked just what services do the Chiang Mai Consulate provide, and was met with a vague answer which explained nothing at all. Wouldnt be surprised to see the British Consulate here close.

For once am envious of the fact that US and Australia citizens can still get the valuable assistance we all need in Chiang Mai whereas we Brits seem to have been hung out to dry.

If you are an Australian citizen you still have to go to Bangkok to apply for a new passport.Only benefit is that you don't have to go back to pick it up they send registered post unlike British citizens who have to make 2 trips to Bangkok,makes for a very expensive passport.The Oz honorary consul in CM has restricted powers but at least advice is free.

The visa section at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok was out sourced to a Thai company years ago and if you want to move to Australia with your Thai wife they have put the visa application fees up 50%.

The heavily guarded Australian Embassy is a huge building on prime real estate in Sathorn Rd, must cost a fortune to maintain but very few people actually work there.

You would think the CM, being Thailand's second biggest city, would provide some essential services but typical of our home countries that they have gone the opposite way.

Next time we complain about CM Immigration bear that in mind

British friend just forwarded an email dated today with details from the horses mouth, so to speak: www.gov.uk: changes to our Services in Chiang Mai

To answer the question about what they will do at the consulate, seems like they are still recruiting

And look at their fees!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/393073/FeesTable_Customer_Bt54_as_of_12_01_15.pdf

British friend just forwarded an email dated today with details from the horses mouth, so to speak: www.gov.uk: changes to our Services in Chiang Mai

To answer the question about what they will do at the consulate, seems like they are still recruiting

And look at their fees!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/393073/FeesTable_Customer_Bt54_as_of_12_01_15.pdf

And people complain about the 500 baht fee at immigration. Unbelievable. whistling.gif

• Like 1

And look at their fees!

And people complain about the 500 baht fee at immigration. Unbelievable. whistling.gif

Continuously rising fees for government services are maddening but corruption is intolerable.

And look at their fees!

Continuously rising fees for government services are maddening but corruption is intolerable.

Welcome to Thailand.

And look at their fees!

Aah but you do get a receipt. laugh.png

• Like 1