Greenwanderer's Iq

he's an opinionated little runt , with an oversized ego and something to prove :o , but i believe that he is not all talk.

for a youngster , his website is sort of interesting , in the way that you would expect an american know it all teenagers website to be.

credit to him for putting himself on the line in so many ways.

You made me laugh Tax; thanks for that! :D and for the rest, I agree. He's a funny 'wise'-guy indeed but maybe that's his US roots and thus feeling himself a bit superior to his 'normal Thai age group.....and the more mature Farang amongst us at TV... :D

LaoPo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you must know my college background...After moving here in 2002, I was working for a year and I decided to enroll at an accredited international university in bangkok from 2003-2005 for a total of 36 credits...with a final GPA of 3.9...In between being at the bottom of expat food chain as an english teacher barely making tuition on top of rent...

them days were hectic even as a bacholor...After volunteering at the Tsunami, something hit me carrying, moving, and working with heaps of decaying human flesh...Death didn't descern

Does not being able to spell disqualify you from being an "English" teacher?

That'd disqualfy most of 'em hereabouts. He might even hold a BACHOLOR degree in English Literature :o

Posted by somebody....

'When the results came back they showed that I scored 152 which sent me even further into skepticism. I mean, gimme a break; I quit school in the 10th year and joined the military. Not your usual sign of intelligence, right? blink.gif'

Strange. Mensa doesn't give you the figure. They simply invite you to join, or not, after THEY recieve the results.

Anyways... Mensa's boring. Just like most groupings of like-minded ppl.. Someone here mentioned incestuous.... :D

Diversity breeds interest, and the breeding is interesting :o

Edited by OlRedEyes

Jdinasia,

The way that I was using mother tongue was in the sense that my mother's native tongue was Thai...So, depending how you look at it, mother-tongue could be derived from mother's tongue just as Matria was derived from Mater Tera, or Mother land, or land of mother...

In broad use, you are correct that mother tongue generally refers to one's own native language, of which American English is mine...however, one could argue that the implications of mother-son psychology would give me more initiative / incentive to speak / learn Thai...of which I've been doing since roughly 17 on my own initiative.

At 13 years old, I watched my mother die in a hospital. Since then, I've lost three close friends in motorcycle accidents, one of which was a Canadian English teacher in Thailand (co-worker friend)During the December Tsunami, I carried, moved, and assisted with hundreds if not thousands of farang and Thai corpses.

I'm not arguing that education is a bad thing. I'm just saying that I don't have time / money to

1)raise my son 2) study uni and 3) hold the jobs to make tuition and milk money at the same time. I'm content. My son doesn't have a golden bottle, but he's far from poverty and has many people who love him. I'm content with my situation as of now..

For you Jd, I don't think it's about the education of why you value degrees, IQ tests, Menstrual clubs, etc.. I think it's about the prestige of having some title that you can stratify yourself higher and better than others. That's exactly what I don't want to be like when I'm your age. If you were to die because of nature's will tomorrow, would it matter what social class you were ? And if it's about money, I don't need a degree to tell you that some of the richest people in the world aren't rich because of a piece of paper (for the few that actually have degrees) but are so because of their ideas, values, and skills.

My pops wasn't a PHD, in fact of opposite class...A warrant officer in the marines, of which my grandfather was 2 war veteren cornel in the Army/Airforce.. The one time I asked my dad for college assistance, he told me to call the Marines...I enjoy thinking for myself, so saved the dignity and followed my own path. My mom would never have quit her job even if our family were rich, she was addicted to her work, one of the main reasons she left this world so early...

And on another note, I don't need a work permit to be legit in Thailand, let alone do the work that I'm doing (freelance writing) I'm breaking no laws for what I do (bank accounts and monthly phone plan included) because A. I have Thai ethnicity and B. I have a Thai son...And since I know how to get around / think / act / speak like any other Thai, my salary range is quite comfortable to raise a family in Thailand.

And finally, I don't care how rich/successful any one is...YOU CAN NOT justify 20,000 baht / month for food for one individual as a monthly average in Thailand (12 months a year continuously) I can assure you even the richest bachelors in this country won't come near such a figure. And if I recall right, most posters who were saying that they were in that range couldn't confirm / prove that they actually spend that much for average...a few came close who actually did their full budgets but most of them were all including extra people (i.e. family and bargirls) not to mention other things like classy wine and LQ at fancy resteraunts...And any one who is drinking fancy wine and LQ at fancy resteraunts every other day for the entire year is a CHUMP in my book...the same trash you might find at the British Club with privileged members only type thing, spending 150 baht for lemonade...I wonder how such class of people reacted who were caught in the tsunami…’You can’t overtake me…for I am a member of….Ahhhhhhh MISERABLE DEATH!!!’

Jdinasia,

The way that I was using mother tongue was in the sense that my mother's native tongue was Thai...So, depending how you look at it, mother-tongue could be derived from mother's tongue just as Matria was derived from Mater Tera, or Mother land, or land of mother...

In broad use, you are correct that mother tongue generally refers to one's own native language, of which American English is mine...however, one could argue that the implications of mother-son psychology would give me more initiative / incentive to speak / learn Thai...of which I've been doing since roughly 17 on my own initiative.

At 13 years old, I watched my mother die in a hospital. Since then, I've lost three close friends in motorcycle accidents, one of which was a Canadian English teacher in Thailand (co-worker friend)During the December Tsunami, I carried, moved, and assisted with hundreds if not thousands of farang and Thai corpses.

I'm not arguing that education is a bad thing. I'm just saying that I don't have time / money to

1)raise my son 2) study uni and 3) hold the jobs to make tuition and milk money at the same time. I'm content. My son doesn't have a golden bottle, but he's far from poverty and has many people who love him. I'm content with my situation as of now..

For you Jd, I don't think it's about the education of why you value degrees, IQ tests, Menstrual clubs, etc.. I think it's about the prestige of having some title that you can stratify yourself higher and better than others. That's exactly what I don't want to be like when I'm your age. If you were to die because of nature's will tomorrow, would it matter what social class you were ? And if it's about money, I don't need a degree to tell you that some of the richest people in the world aren't rich because of a piece of paper (for the few that actually have degrees) but are so because of their ideas, values, and skills. << Oh boy ... here we go again! ..I did actually mention a degree ... after you brought the point up :o Don't think I ever stated I was a member of Mensa ... and YOU BROUGHT UP THE IQ TEST TOPIC (and the result 555) and at the ripe old age of 41 I haven't worked for a few years ... but I didn't get there being a retail manager/Logistics Manager or working with non-profits :D In fact I don't spend time on here bragging <<or trying to be the anti-braggart claiming some level of superiority for being foolish young and poor>>

My pops wasn't a PHD, in fact of opposite class...A warrant officer in the marines, of which my grandfather was 2 war veteren cornel in the Army/Airforce.. The one time I asked my dad for college assistance, he told me to call the Marines...I enjoy thinking for myself, so saved the dignity and followed my own path. My mom would never have quit her job even if our family were rich, she was addicted to her work, one of the main reasons she left this world so early... << I don't also have any resentment to my parents work choices ... do you know what a PhD educator MAKES? Social-Class elitism from a college Prof's son ? 5555 ... did you notice that I said I managed school through working and scholarships? Thinking for yourself has served you well though! Poor ... in Thailand ... with a new kid! Yeah there's something better for your family for the future!>>

And on another note, I don't need a work permit to be legit in Thailand, let alone do the work that I'm doing (freelance writing) I'm breaking no laws for what I do (bank accounts and monthly phone plan included) because A. I have Thai ethnicity and B. I have a Thai son...And since I know how to get around / think / act / speak like any other Thai, my salary range is quite comfortable to raise a family in Thailand. << Don't need a work permit? to be legit? Does that mean you are a Thai citizen and NOT an American Citizen? You are not here on a Visa? You Have perm residency status?>>

And finally, I don't care how rich/successful any one is...YOU CAN NOT justify 20,000 baht / month for food for one individual as a monthly average in Thailand (12 months a year continuously) I can assure you even the richest bachelors in this country won't come near such a figure. And if I recall right, most posters who were saying that they were in that range couldn't confirm / prove that they actually spend that much for average...a few came close who actually did their full budgets but most of them were all including extra people (i.e. family and bargirls) not to mention other things like classy wine and LQ at fancy resteraunts...And any one who is drinking fancy wine and LQ at fancy resteraunts every other day for the entire year is a CHUMP in my book...the same trash you might find at the British Club with privileged members only type thing, spending 150 baht for lemonade...I wonder how such class of people reacted who were caught in the tsunami…’You can’t overtake me…for I am a member of….Ahhhhhhh MISERABLE DEATH!!!’<< again with the strange anti-elitism ... that strikes everyone as so wierd .... 666 Baht a day is NOT outrageous for daily food if one likes to eat decently and have a drink or a bottle of wine on occassion :D Dinner last night cost me 400 baht at a typical mall restaraunt without booze or tip Lunch was 130 ... I skipped breakfast ... had 2 beers in a bar later (110 baht a bottle) That was 750 baht for the day ... and it was a cheap day ... not that I don't hace 200 baht days ... but I do have 4000 baht days :D Your strange anti-elitism is amazing though ... the difference between the folks that sadly dies in the Tsunami <<that YOU keep bringing up ... why?>> is that most were Tourists or working class Thais ... I doubt many people that live here and are members of the British Club were caught in it ... they were soundly asleep in a penthouse somewhere at 9am>>[/quote]

If you must know my college background...After moving here in 2002, I was working for a year and I decided to enroll at an accredited international university in bangkok from 2003-2005 for a total of 36 credits...with a final GPA of 3.9...In between being at the bottom of expat food chain as an english teacher barely making tuition on top of rent...

them days were hectic even as a bacholor...After volunteering at the Tsunami, something hit me carrying, moving, and working with heaps of decaying human flesh...Death didn't descern <snip>

Does not being able to spell disqualify you from being an "English" teacher?

Actually, it doesn't even disqualify you from being a "real" B.Ed English teacher. I've met some "real" English teachers that can't spell their way out of a paperbag.

*edit: And by the way jdinasia, you were assuming an elitist attitude, both by direct comments and implications, which are plain to see and plain to prove by anyone reading this thread, Mensa membership or not.

Edited by kat

Jd,

you have valid points about education and the future... but you seem to find it difficult to accept that happiness for some isn't necesarily about a wealthy / powerful position in life...

My whole dwelling on death and corpses is something that twisted and changed things inside for me that made me devalue the education / system that I had been struggling to survive through (financially)...not much point in carrying this point on much further

scholarships...I've won a few in my day. My senior highschool education at a private college-prep school was completely paid for (30k$$/year for 2 years) by American Honda Education Foundation (or is it corporation???).

Even my first opportunity to come to Thailand was on an all expense paid cultural exchange scholarship for a month back in 2001.

When I tested out of highschool, the state of Colorado offered me a full one year scholarship for any college in Colorado...I passed it up to pursue what was more important for me in Thailand.

Despite my outstanding GPA at Bangkok University, I was inelligible to ever apply for scholarship from them because I didn't take enough classes per semester...somehow their system doesn't realize that some people actually have to work to pay for tuition...

Anyway, no point in dwelling on the wouldhave / shouldhave / couldhaves about the past...Like I said, I'm content and still young...

As far as my status. I'm a one year renewable visas which simply require me to get my aunt to sign a form every year confirming I'm her nephew (when studying was on the Non-ed)...I suppose I am now eligible to get the one year non-o now that I have a Thai dependent...but I imagine that will require some financial quota...not sure???

People with work permits still have to do yearly renewals just like me. They might automatically have an easier time opening accounts or what have you, but I haven't had any major problems depositing money or being eligible for monthly phone, or paying domestic unexploited fees, etc..

I don't have to do visa runs or what have you and there is no necessity for me to get a work permit to enjoy the life that I can / do in Thailand...

I can sing the national anthem and king's song on instant request, that should keep me from getting deported in any case:D

And finally, I don't care how rich/successful any one is...YOU CAN NOT justify 20,000 baht / month for food for one individual as a monthly average in Thailand (12 months a year continuously) I can assure you even the richest bachelors in this country won't come near such a figure. And if I recall right, most posters who were saying that they were in that range couldn't confirm / prove that they actually spend that much for average...a few came close who actually did their full budgets but most of them were all including extra people (i.e. family and bargirls) not to mention other things like classy wine and LQ at fancy resteraunts...And any one who is drinking fancy wine and LQ at fancy resteraunts every other day for the entire year is a CHUMP in my book...the same trash you might find at the British Club with privileged members only type thing, spending 150 baht for lemonade...I wonder how such class of people reacted who were caught in the tsunami…’You can’t overtake me…for I am a member of….Ahhhhhhh MISERABLE DEATH!!!’

20,000 a month? What, 666 Baht a day? Doesn't strike me as particularly extravagant. And the British Club is actually very cheap for most things - 60 Baht a pint! Food's cheap (and good) there also...

20,000 a month? What, 666 Baht a day? Doesn't strike me as particularly extravagant. And the British Club is actually very cheap for most things - 60 Baht a pint! Food's cheap (and good) there also...

I must have missed the 60 baht beer . Sure that wasn't five years ago or something. Let me guess, the hundred baht iced tea is grown, hand picked, and brewed at the club too???

About the 20 k/month on food argument. I honestly think that posters who get a little defensive every time the topic comes up don't realize how much they actually are spending. They see 666 baht a day and don't realize that this is a daily average. 7 days a week, 365 days a year...

For one individual...no dates with bargirls, kids, wife, or others count for the sake of the argument that 666 baht / day is EXCESS for one day's one person's food in Thailand ...Even JD's one day figure included entertainment fees (2 small bottles of beer I presume at 110 baht a pop in a bar which probably only cost the bar 10 baht a pop :o )

Lets say you go to three 200 baht all you can eat farang / foreign food buffets for Breakfeast Lunch and Dinner on Monday through Wednesday...(which ones aren't important, there are hundreds of them all over bkk)

And on Thursday, you have a bagel and starbucks for breakfeast for 200 baht. For lunch, you eat itallian for 300 baht...Then you go to the emporium or villa and buy 1500 baht of groceries for the next 3 days (if you can't push 1500 baht for 3 days comfortably, you are just stupid)...Salmon, Steak, Cheese, bread, Chips, Salsa, and beer if you may. So for Thursday Night till atleast Sunday, you're stocked for eating in. Sunday morning you finish of what's left of the salmon, steak, and cheese, and for lunch/Dinner you decide to actually eat some Thai food i.e. somtam lap kao niaw with 5 big changs to wash it down..Sunday puts you behind 275 baht (beer-175, food-100)

What a festive week!! 3 days of all you can eat buffets and 3 days of home prepared western food including steak salmon and beer ...and even one meal of Thai food...Ain't Thailand great...anyway, let's just look at such a festive week's totals shall we

Monday = 600

Tuesday = 600

Wednesday = 600

Thursday = 2000

Friday = 0

Saturday = 0

Sunday 275

Total = 4,075 baht

Daily Average = 582 baht

Estimated month budget = 17.4 k

So, as you can see, even if you followed such a hectic eating schedule (where Thai food was only one meal in the entire week with the rest being buffets, steak, cheese, and salmon) alone for 30 days of the month, 12 months a year, you still don't come close to 20 k / month or 240,000 baht / year...

And before you posters respond with something like...well there is days that I wine and dine khun noy from si saket at a 5000 baht resteraunt..or I like to spend 3000 baht on drinks in the bar..save it please...Actually do your month's budget for one person for food only (drinks with meals are fine but please keep out the social drinks as that falls under entertainment budget)...and please post a daily budget similar to the scenerio I posted so I can actually see and understand how it's possible to average any higher than 20 k / month for one person's food...

I must have missed the 60 baht beer . Sure that wasn't five years ago or something. Let me guess, the hundred baht iced tea is grown, hand picked, and brewed at the club too???

About the 20 k/month on food argument...

OK, firstly the British Club beers for 60 Baht were about 2 weeks ago. They had some pretty good Lassis in there for about 80 Baht too. This is in the outside restaurant area by the swimming pool, by the way, maybe prices are different elsewhere in the complex.

About the food thing, firstly I wouldn't say that I personally spend 20,000 Baht on food a month, but I don't spend too far off that figure. What I said was that I don't think it's too extravagant - I lead a pretty unextravagant lifestyle myself and I could easily imagine a figure such as 20,000 being spent if someone splashes out a little bit. Today was a pretty cheap(ish) day for me, as food expenditures go, and I spent approx:

Breakfast: jok muu, fruit, orange juice and a coffee all from street vendors: 80 Baht.

Lunch: Subway sandwich plus drink and cookies: 150 Baht

Dinner: Thai food at my local Thai eatery, Phaya Thai Jazz, including drink: 220 Baht.

Well, that total is 450 Baht on a reaonably cheap day. At a weekend, if dinner is more expensive, then that could cost about 700 Baht on its own, plus I have my cheaper days so it probably averages out at about 500 Baht per day, or maybe a bit over. So an extra 166 Baht (say if breakfast and lunch are a bit more gormet, maybe coffee is from a chain like Starbucks or something, lunch is a pub / restaurant meal, etc.) is easily understandable, in my opinion, and comparing with my own lifestyle & spending.

Well, the extra 166 baht a day turns out to be 1162 in one week and nearly 5000 baht in one month, which comes to 60,000 baht in one year!

I think people are misunderstanding the whole point that it's not just 666 baht for one day. If the question were 'Is it reasonable to think that it's possible to spend 666 baht a day or more in one day for food in Thailand?' ...then without a doubt, that's not being unreasonable...especially if you're here as a tourist / vacation

But the point is to average it out for 365 days a year as a regular expat I think is too excessive...

Even for you having one day that you consider cheap (Thai breakfeast, Subway, and Jazz club/resteraunt upscale Thai dinner at 450 baht a day) tomorrow's budget must be atleast 882 to meet your average...and this is only two days...throw in another 'cheap' day and your average gets all scued...anyway... I don't wish to argue it much...

You consider yourself not too extravagent and you average about 13-15k / month on food...and this seems to be a budget where you rarely ever eat in i.e. buy groceries if I'm not mistaken...otherwise, by eating in atleast 40 percent of the time, sucha a food budget would be cut in half easy...

So I'll wait till someone can show a budget exceeding 20k / month....and we'll go from there...

Well, the extra 166 baht a day turns out to be 1162 in one week and nearly 5000 baht in one month, which comes to 60,000 baht in one year!

I think people are misunderstanding the whole point that it's not just 666 baht for one day. If the question were 'Is it reasonable to think that it's possible to spend 666 baht a day or more in one day for food in Thailand?' ...then without a doubt, that's not being unreasonable...especially if you're here as a tourist / vacation

But the point is to average it out for 365 days a year as a regular expat I think is too excessive...

Even for you having one day that you consider cheap (Thai breakfeast, Subway, and Jazz club/resteraunt upscale Thai dinner at 450 baht a day) tomorrow's budget must be atleast 882 to meet your average...and this is only two days...throw in another 'cheap' day and your average gets all scued...anyway... I don't wish to argue it much...

You consider yourself not too extravagent and you average about 13-15k / month on food...and this seems to be a budget where you rarely ever eat in i.e. buy groceries if I'm not mistaken...otherwise, by eating in atleast 40 percent of the time, sucha a food budget would be cut in half easy...

So I'll wait till someone can show a budget exceeding 20k / month....and we'll go from there...

Sorry, but you have your maths wrong there - I estimated my budget at being around 500 Baht. Therefore, the next day's budget would have to be 550 Baht to settle on that average.

My point about 166 Baht extra per day was that I could easily see how this could be accumulated on top of the spending that I personally already do, if someone wanted to live a slightly more expensive lifestyle. Just one mid-afternoon snack of 100 baht or so could almost reach that.

Also, Phaya Thai Jazz (despite the name) is not upscale by any stretch of the imagination! Average Thai restaurant prices really: good food though.

Sorry, but you have your maths wrong there - I estimated my budget at being around 500 Baht. Therefore, the next day's budget would have to be 550 Baht to settle on that average.

My point about 166 Baht extra per day was that I could easily see how this could be accumulated on top of the spending that I personally already do, if someone wanted to live a slightly more expensive lifestyle. Just one mid-afternoon snack of 100 baht or so could almost reach that.

Also, Phaya Thai Jazz (despite the name) is not upscale by any stretch of the imagination! Average Thai restaurant prices really: good food though.

well, i was using the 666 baht / day as reference with the 800+ figure...anyhow, you still didn't answer...do you ever shop for groceries / eat in?

I eat in a couple of times a week, yes, but this will be food bought from street stalls or other outlets and eaten at home. I shop for groceries regularly, but I rarely cook full-scale meals myself from raw ingredients (if that's what you're getting at), most meals I eat are prepared by someone else.

If you ate out 3 meals a day (not food carts or thai food) I can see spending 20K easily on food. Add lager/spirits into it.... :o

<snip edit useless comment out>

666 baht / day...

You could do

Nana Hotel Breakfeast Buffet morning

Baiyoke lunch buffett for afternoon

Oishis Shabu??? sushi buffet for dinner

Ofcourse there is service charges but even with them...would average just about right to make your 20k in a month if not a little bit more...

And this figure is doing in every day...7 days a week, 30 days a month...3 buffets of non-Thai food EVERY DAY....

Edited by greenwanderer108