Thailand internet WHY SO SLOW AND OUTDATED!

honoluabay

What's the deal here in LOS the internet is the slowest weakest in the world? I can get better in 2 bit Mexican town better than here on Lan lines. When or will LOS join in with the rest of the world offering true internet speeds, or do we just say f it. Because its Thailand.

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Welcome to the larger world. You are now physically far away from the servers you wish to use, which can never be as fast something very close by.

On the other hand, the services and servers within Thailand response faster from here, compared trying to use those from the western world.

Welcome to Thailand....when it comes to good internet in Thailand Location, Location, Location can make all the difference. And when I say location, I don't mean like the next city over....I mean sometimes it can be just the next soi over. The speed of my True DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb plan here in western Bangkok is just fine...now that 15Mb is just my local connection speed...speeds I get to international sites is only going to be around 2 to 6Mb. And that 2-6Mb international speed pretty much applies even if you have a 50Mb local connection (xDSL, cable or fiber) as Thai ISPs limit their international bandwidth as bandwidth costs money....and the great majority of Thais know little English so much of their surfing is done within Thailand. Now you can get a business grade internet connection versus the typical consumer grade plan and get better international speed but you pay 3 to 10 times more per month.

But hey, it has got better in many locations...three years ago the fastest internet connection to my moobaan was a 6Mb ADSL; now it's 200Mb DOCSIS. Then we still have folks jin other parts of Thailand just waiting for copper lines/landline service to reach their moobaan...and it may not ever show-up as a person will have to continue to use Satellite, Wifi, or 3G service which can be pricey and not that fast out in the sticks. Location, Location, Location.

• Like 2

The internet is really slow today !!!

No like the days before. I am using TOT and everybody in Bangsaray, Sattahip area has the same problems.

yepp,

TOT is today much more crappy slowly than usual.

I guess, it has something to do with the today's "event".

Maybe a *little bit* more monitoring in Bkk today...whistling.gif

I remember the old days with 56 Kbps dial-up in Bangkok - be happy !!

I've had CAT fibre-optic "On-Net" 20 / 3 Mbps for the last few weeks. Works fine except for the downtime last Saturday/Sunday due to the political demos when power was cut at CAT, and a couple of other short down-time periods lasting a few minutes each.

Speed to LA this morning was 19.36 / 2.88 Mbps.

• Like 1

Back in the days of dial-up connections, webpages didn't have a ton of flash-based layouts and advertising. Slow connections are miserable when it comes to accessing many web sites of today. You wouldn't be able to access many web pages of today without giving up in frustration, with a dial-up connection these days!

• Like 1

Mine has seemed particularly bad of late.

But I can only blame myself as I should have dumped the crappy one I have years ago but can't be bothered.

Better alternatives have reached the area, but I want to retain the land line and do not want any cables hanging in the air off my house.

Hanging on for the advent of 4G or whatever which will give me a wireless network source at home via my phone. (Currently ADSL)

If I am not mistaken, one issue is the connection to the US. There's only a few "pipes" that provide access, and everybody is using them.

When I was in the US, speeds varied dramatically based on where you were. My brothers speed in Farmington, New Mexico was about 25% or less of what I was getting in NYC. For the same price.

Here's a good report of the top countries internet speeds. Latvia? 55555

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/23/akamai-average-u-s-internet-speed-up-28-yoy-now-at-7-4-mbps-but-south-korea-japan-and-hong-kong-still-far-ahead/

I've had CAT fibre-optic "On-Net" 20 / 3 Mbps for the last few weeks. Works fine except for the downtime last Saturday/Sunday due to the political demos when power was cut at CAT, and a couple of other short down-time periods lasting a few minutes each.

Speed to LA this morning was 19.36 / 2.88 Mbps.

I expect you are using a Flash/Ookla-based speedtester like maybe Speedtest.net to get those results....such testers can make a lot of international connections look very good...they can even make bad international connections look OK...then you wonder why your surfing to some sites or video streaming is still slow/always buffering.

Anyway, you might want to try a speedtester such as testmy.net which probably simulates real word surfing better that easily fooled Flash/Ookla-based speedtesters. See this recent ThaiVisa thread started by another person who has a CAT 25/3Mb fiber plan probably pretty similar to your CAT 20/3Mb fiber plan.

When I tested to LA this morning using Speedtest.net I got almost 8Mb international speed from my True DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb plan; but when testing to San Jose using testmy.net I only got 1.5Mb...I believe the testmy.net based on just how responsive my internet surfing feels this morning.

In my experience the internet in Thailand is surprisingly good.

There is a big difference however between ADSL and Cable.

ADSL connects via a phone line (copper wires) and has the advantage that you have your own line back to the exchange.

With Cable however (coaxial cable) you share the connection with many others in your street.

While Cable has good max speed, it is notorious for slowing down during peak hours.

So check the connection to your modem. Is it Cable (like a TV cable) or is it a normal phone line?

Another possibility is that you are using WiFi and are sharing the modem with many others (in a hotel, etc).

If one or two others are downloading large files, everything slows to a crawl.

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

Well, very reliable and fast internet connections are indeed widely available in Latvia.

The whole communication network was overhauled and new lines and communication hardware were installed everywhere after separation from USSR, and nowadays it is easily possible to get inexpensive, yet very fast DSL and fiber optics connections in most locations. As an example, 400Mbps fiber optics line costs just 40 USD/month.

• Like 1

Well, very reliable and fast internet connections are indeed widely available in Latvia.

The whole communication network was overhauled and new lines and communication hardware were installed everywhere after separation from USSR, and nowadays it is easily possible to get inexpensive, yet very fast DSL and fiber optics connections in most locations. As an example, 400Mbps fiber optics line costs just 40 USD/month.

$40 US, what percentage of average workers net income is that in Latvia?

WOW! That's amazing!!!

Based on the wiring here, which looks like a rat's nest, I'm happy with what I've got. $20 a month, 8Mbps (most of the time), and an up time of probably better than 95%.

Again, I think it really depends on where you live here.