Safe To Eat Chicken?

milesm

hi,

i will be in Thailand later this month.

is it safe to eat chicken? i really love gai-yang, the grilled isaan chicken. it is cooked at high enough temperatures and for a sufficient duration to kill off the avian flu virus? what about eating eggs?

thanks.

When I first moved here a few years ago, I seemed to get an upset stomach every time I had eggs... I didn't think it was because they were kept on the shelf but rather something to do with something contained in the eggs that is different than what you find in a north-american egg.

I can eat all I want now and no more side effects.

I can't say how many chickens I've eaten by now but my chances of getting swiped on the motorcycle are much higher than bird flu or salmonella.

chicken?...what about chicken?...I can get an excellent chicken burrito, rice n' beans with extra sour cream and fresh salsa any time of the day or night at the Bang Li market across from the Song Pi Nong tessaban here in southern Suphan with freshly made flour tortillas...I send the stepdaughter down with a few notes and she says 'Somchai, oye...dame dos de pollo para el falangringo, especial como el le gusta...'. el joven Somchai, he does them just nice...

no need to worry about chicken... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 2 weeks later...

It has already been said but I will say it again because I am such an annoying **** :o:

Yes, you can eat the chicken if it is cooked ok, which it is in most cases.

In the extremely unlikely event that you are served a cooked chicken that died of birdflu, it will still not kill you - the H5n1 virus dies at 60 degrees Celsius.

There are few people worldwide who have died from eating contaminated meat from chickens. In the vast majority of cases, the deaths have been people in close contact with live chickens or chicken faeces.

Bring me a bucket o' chicken and a box of towelettes anytime. :D

do the towelettes require a dipping sauce?

Kinda minty. :o

:D

This has nothing to do with eating Chicken, or Thailand, but it is a true story. Some years ago, while I was working in Saudi Arabia. I flew into the country during the time many of the Hajis came into Saudi for the pilgramage to Mecca. All the flights were full coming into the country, and the only flight I could get was on Air Marocco (Air Maroc). When the meal was served, the guy next to me didn't seem to be familiar with European food. He picked and sniffed at everything, until he could determine if it was good to eat. At the end of the meal there was one of those lemon-scented towelettes that are intended to be used to rinse your hands. This guy looked at the envelope, then opened it and sniffed the towelette. He apparently thought that since it smelled like lemon it must be food, so he carefully tore off a corner of the towelette, and put the piece in his mouth to taste it. He then spit out the piece with a disgusted look.

When he saw me open the towelette, and use it to rinse my hands, I think that was the first time he understood its purpose. The look on his face was worth seeing.

chicken?...what about chicken?...I can get an excellent chicken burrito, rice n' beans with extra sour cream and fresh salsa any time of the day or night at the Bang Li market across from the Song Pi Nong tessaban here in southern Suphan with freshly made flour tortillas...I send the stepdaughter down with a few notes and she says 'Somchai, oye...dame dos de pollo para el falangringo, especial como el le gusta...'. el joven Somchai, he does them just nice...

no need to worry about chicken... :D

Can't seem to find this word in either a Thai or Spanish dictionary. :o

My girlfriend doesn't quite think there's real hot food in Los Angeles. I've told her that Mexican food is hot, but it's not easy to find in Thailand and prove it to her. I don't really go looking for it as there's so much Thai food that I haven't tried yet.

Bring me a bucket o' chicken and a box of towelettes anytime. :D

do the towelettes require a dipping sauce?

Kinda minty. :o

This has nothing to do with eating Chicken, or Thailand, but it is a true story. Some years ago, while I was working in Saudi Arabia. I flew into the country during the time many of the Hajis came into Saudi for the pilgramage to Mecca. All the flights were full coming into the country, and the only flight I could get was on Air Marocco (Air Maroc). When the meal was served, the guy next to me didn't seem to be familiar with European food. He picked and sniffed at everything, until he could determine if it was good to eat. At the end of the meal there was one of those lemon-scented towelettes that are intended to be used to rinse your hands. This guy looked at the envelope, then opened it and sniffed the towelette. He apparently thought that since it smelled like lemon it must be food, so he carefully tore off a corner of the towelette, and put the piece in his mouth to taste it. He then spit out the piece with a disgusted look.

When he saw me open the towelette, and use it to rinse my hands, I think that was the first time he understood its purpose. The look on his face was worth seeing.

off topic as well but in Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar she described an interview with someone that made her nervous where food was served...not knowing what to do with her finger bowl she drank the contents...

(isn't tutsi an erudite mufuh?...)

no need to worry about chicken... :D

Can't seem to find this word in either a Thai or Spanish dictionary. :o

My girlfriend doesn't quite think there's real hot food in Los Angeles. I've told her that Mexican food is hot, but it's not easy to find in Thailand and prove it to her. I don't really go looking for it as there's so much Thai food that I haven't tried yet.

'falangringo' is part of the new TUTSIWARRIOR LEXICON soon to be released upon unsuspecting philologists everywhere...world language needs a new orientation that tutsiwarrior shall provide...

when in LA tell the GF to go up Western Avenue 'round the corner from the Kaiser Hospital and she can get pet mak mak all over the place...(LA's 'Little Thailand')

Edited by tutsiwarrior