3 weeks in Chiang Mai – Friends, Map/GPS, Land

Diddl

I'm with you on this one! I've been using a Garmin Zumo motorcycle GPS for the past few years, integrating it with the Garmin software called MapSource. Moving back to Chiang Mai, I discovered that this place in the Phantip Plaza sold the newest Garmin map for Thailand, went in asked if they had it, asked them if it was a legit copy or a busted one, and was told it was completely authorized. I bought it, put it into my GPS and it worked fine. But when I tried to put it into MapSource, it wouldn't unlock with the key provided. I went back to the shop to ask how I could get it to work, and was THEN told that it would ONLY work in the GPS. It wasn't unlocked for the software.... which means it is NOT a legit copy. I don't mind the legality of it as much as it upsets me that I can't use the map software. That's every bit as important as the GPS itself. For 2,000 baht that it cost, I would have liked to be told the truth... Do NOT trust this shop.

Isn't the Thailand map produced by ESRI in Thailand? I believe it's not an official garmin product, but works on garmin gps. Mine opens with Basecamp software, free to download from garmin's website. Never use mapsource myself.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I only use Basecamp for hiking & cycling, not navigating my truck.

Hmmmm.... Now you've got me thinking.... I don't actually know who produces the map, but if it works in Basecamp that would work for me. I have a copy of Basecamp somewhere... I'll have to install it and see if it will do as much as Mapsource does. THAT program is simply brilliant for anyone who likes to explore, needs to find resources, and want's hard copies too! Thanks for the suggestion, MESmith! I appreciate it!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nowhere in Thailand that you can trust the service or the people. Life is a game here and they change with the roll of the dice. That is their culture and the way they are conditioned. If you ever find some in a truthful moment they will tell you that as one or two have done to me. They will never tell you the truth as it leaves them with less to play with in their game. Trust is a commodity that does not exist here - not even in their own families.

Every step of every agreement with a Thai has to be carefully explored and demanded (they will never help you willingly) or they will play with you. It is the same in the cities or the country. They will even play you for years and then take the hit when it suits them. A Thai lady once told me she has never trusted anyone in this country and I have thrown over her comment in my mind for years saying yes and no to her opinion but she always ends up being right. They live for the moment and that leaves no consideration for past or future relationships. Their smile is endearing but it is has no lasting meaning.

If you expect any meaningful service here then you can also amuse yourself gambling in a more open and honest test of luck.

• Like 1

Dear Mam,

Welcome to Thailand.

You must to be a very brave and vital lady. Your long voluntary work in India is a really admirable. Congartulation.

Abut GPS. Don't buy. Use smart phone with internet package and you have always GPS with you.

Before I bought then never used cause the smart phone GPS mode is much easier.

I'm sure you can find in CM a younger supporter who shows you to use it. Really very very easy.

I'm in BKK, and if you need any help here just tell me.

Best Regards,

loles

wai.gif

There is nowhere in Thailand that you can trust the service or the people. Life is a game here and they change with the roll of the dice. That is their culture and the way they are conditioned. If you ever find some in a truthful moment they will tell you that as one or two have done to me. They will never tell you the truth as it leaves them with less to play with in their game. Trust is a commodity that does not exist here - not even in their own families.

Every step of every agreement with a Thai has to be carefully explored and demanded (they will never help you willingly) or they will play with you. It is the same in the cities or the country. They will even play you for years and then take the hit when it suits them. A Thai lady once told me she has never trusted anyone in this country and I have thrown over her comment in my mind for years saying yes and no to her opinion but she always ends up being right. They live for the moment and that leaves no consideration for past or future relationships. Their smile is endearing but it is has no lasting meaning.

If you expect any meaningful service here then you can also amuse yourself gambling in a more open and honest test of luck.

Dear Thomas,

many things are true which you mentioned, but fortunately not all.

I guess you live in turist area and those Thais there are infected from turist business, BUT this is tru for every turist place in the world.

The basic Thai people is polite and not shameless.

Off course you dont't believe for lawyers, agents or officer, BUT where you can believe for them.

Just listen this story, this happened today. I had to deliver some products to Top's Distribution Center cause my college whose this work is sick. I dropped off the papers than went back to the car for waiting my calling to the warehouse gate. There are many Thais there they also waited. Today was a nice day, breeze and cool temperature had not to seat in the car with aircon. I set to the roadside. The Thais waved to me and invited to seat to their mat and gave me cold water. And they didn't want anything. This is the everyday life here not those grabbish style which you mentioned.

Best Regards Amigo

• Like 2

I agree Loles, there is good and bad everywhere, and you can't expect Thailand to be 100% or any different even. People are people all over the world but I find that people are much nicer here generally (that includes the foreigners who have moved here I must say). I can tell you that I have had more respect and consideration from Thais than from others and sometimes tears came to my eyes because they have treated me like I have never been treated anywhere - so considerate and selfless. When queuing here, people don't tend to push to the beginning of the queue, drivers consider others joining a main road from a side street, people do try to understand when they don't speak English, and I am certainly not going to complain when my experiences in other countries does not even touch on Thai kindness.

I came here in May this year, for a month, just to make sure that this was the home I wanted to make for myself - my last home - and I cried at the relief I experienced to be in a country where people are generally still humane. For those who wish to complain all the time, all I can say is that they should live elsewhere for comparison and then come back and tell me that Thais are not generally kind and considerate. You will always find greedy people, some having the excuse because they have had to do without and have been hungry. Others are greedy because they look at too much TV and believe that life is really like the programmes shown and they are missing something.

I have lived in south India for 5 years but I never thought that people could be so evil as I have experienced. Thailand is a relief for me, it is hope and a way of reconciling my faith in human beings. Thank you Thailand for restoring my faith in humanity, that's all I can say!

Anyway, I'm not going to relate my life story here. Just be grateful for what you have here and be grateful that the Thai authorities allow you to live here.

• Like 2

As for meeting people look up the Chiang Mai Expats club - meetings every month + once a month expat womens lunch to meet interesting people. They have many groups meeting weekly covering multiple interests......

I agree Loles, there is good and bad everywhere, and you can't expect Thailand to be 100% or any different even. People are people all over the world but I find that people are much nicer here generally (that includes the foreigners who have moved here I must say). I can tell you that I have had more respect and consideration from Thais than from others and sometimes tears came to my eyes because they have treated me like I have never been treated anywhere - so considerate and selfless. When queuing here, people don't tend to push to the beginning of the queue, drivers consider others joining a main road from a side street, people do try to understand when they don't speak English, and I am certainly not going to complain when my experiences in other countries does not even touch on Thai kindness.

I came here in May this year, for a month, just to make sure that this was the home I wanted to make for myself - my last home - and I cried at the relief I experienced to be in a country where people are generally still humane. For those who wish to complain all the time, all I can say is that they should live elsewhere for comparison and then come back and tell me that Thais are not generally kind and considerate. You will always find greedy people, some having the excuse because they have had to do without and have been hungry. Others are greedy because they look at too much TV and believe that life is really like the programmes shown and they are missing something.

I have lived in south India for 5 years but I never thought that people could be so evil as I have experienced. Thailand is a relief for me, it is hope and a way of reconciling my faith in human beings. Thank you Thailand for restoring my faith in humanity, that's all I can say!

Anyway, I'm not going to relate my life story here. Just be grateful for what you have here and be grateful that the Thai authorities allow you to live here.

Diddl, I would love to think you are right and I dont agree with some very cynical comments from other posters but when you say things like:

'When queuing here, people don't tend to push to the beginning of the queue, drivers consider others joining a main road from a side street, people do try to understand when they don't speak English', I wonder if we are living in the same city.

I fear you may be looking at life here through a newcomers rose-tinted spectacles and I dont wish to dis-abuse you of your views, but all I say is, take care and take time, and consult and listen to others before parting with money you can not afford to lose.

With a little care, you can have a very enjoyable life here

• Like 2

The problem with ChiangMai is air quality.If your lungs are good now they might not be in the future.I'm surprised that you can put up with all the backpackers that visit the area.Prices stay inflated.Maybe I'm just use to Issan.Have you traveled all of Thailand?

Many people would rather live in other areas.Don't get me wrong,many many farangs do retire there.They do have expat meetings there.

Your never to old to learn Thai.It can be challenging but with patience you'll do fine.Good Luck.

A month is nothing, to me that`s an unpacking your suit cases period.

I suggest that you first rent an accommodation for a minimum of one year or even longer to get the feel of the place and learn the lay of the land prior to considering investing any of your money for the long term in Thailand and as I said previously, do everything legal and cover yourself right from the start. Never make any agreements here on loyalty and trust.

Whatever you do and how you do it, you do at your own risk and discretion and this advice comes from me and others like me who have lived here for decades and know the score.

• Like 2

You might want to try the Chiang Mai expats club.

chiangmaiexpatsclub.com

They meet once a month where they have a speaker and other information. It is a chance to meet people. They also have what they call a coffee morning where they get together at the River Market for breakfast and strictly a social hour.

I have been going for a couple of years and have to admit I have heard some bad sopeakers and some good ones. Some spoke on a topic I had no interest in but they put it across in a way that was highly enjoyable and a learning experiance.

If none of this is your cup of tea they have many associated clubs all the way from Dining out to computer and hiking even a hypnosis club. About 15 of them.

Welcome to Chiang Mai Diddl,

You've chosen a beautiful part of the world. You've been given excellent advice and I'm sure that Alan and the people at the ex-pats club will make you very welcome. I've been meaning to get along to a meeting for the past 2 years since returning to Thailand with my wife and our daughter, but just never seem to get there. However, I think that as you are on your own, the Ex-Pats would be the best course of action for you and perhaps the safest.

Just take a bit of care that some people (not all of them) who may respond and want to meet you, may have a dubious agenda and I would hate to see anyone take advantage of you. So once again, take care and at least get to know folk at the Ex-Pats Club.

Again, welcome to Chiang Mai!!

Cheers,

Torrens54

Edited by Torrens54

Hello Diddle, welcome to Thailand. All useful informations is worth for you to start living here. As a thai lady, i'd love to advice you some of great ideas from TV fellows here.

- Living for a year or more and learning to get to know more about Thai on the good and bad sides.

- Dont be hurry to buy property, as a foreigner you are allowed to buy condo , or rent a land. Living alone in a big house and wealthy life is not save in Thailand too, unless you have many trusted thai friends already. Thailand does not have the rose side, criminal is as high as Himalaya lately.

- Contact to know Expat friends first and getting the best informations.In case, if anything happen , there are somebody knows you.

A retired elderly woman needs to live near the good place for medical treatment or good hospital too. We'r thai we also have to live carefully and we dont easily trusted anybody, too bad, but true.Wish you luck and enjoy your beautiful years here.

Dear Thomas,

many things are true which you mentioned, but fortunately not all.

I guess you live in turist area and those Thais there are infected from turist business, BUT this is tru for every turist place in the world.

The basic Thai people is polite and not shameless.

Off course you dont't believe for lawyers, agents or officer, BUT where you can believe for them.

Just listen this story, this happened today. I had to deliver some products to Top's Distribution Center cause my college whose this work is sick. I dropped off the papers than went back to the car for waiting my calling to the warehouse gate. There are many Thais there they also waited. Today was a nice day, breeze and cool temperature had not to seat in the car with aircon. I set to the roadside. The Thais waved to me and invited to seat to their mat and gave me cold water. And they didn't want anything. This is the everyday life here not those grabbish style which you mentioned.

Best Regards Amigo

Thanks.

I have about ten tears experience of Thais and Thailand. I live in an area where I rarely see Farangs. I experience occasional kindness from Thais. That kindness is invariably given a new perspective by them changing their game whenever they feel like it. I did not mention a grabbish style but a style by which they live. Saving face is a mechanism they use to hide not communicating openly. They will tell you the minimum as a way to maintain a superior position. They appear friendly but they trust no one. Their relationship with the truth is always very convenient.

If you want to meet new friends why not try the following sites.

meetup.com

Internations.org

couchsurfing.org

You join the site(s) and check out the groups and/or activities of like minded ppl.

Just my opinion, spend more time there before you start getting really serious about land/car inquiries.

CM is a great choice as I'm considering it as my new hombase in the future.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Nokia phones come with free Nokia Maps. I have used it all over Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia UK and Europe. Works very well and no annual updates ho pay for. I also have an Android tablet which has Google maps. Works well too.

good luck with your new life

Please do as I do.

You have access to the internet...just print out your handy map at the internet cafe. Make notes on it, etc. Never needed satellite technology and electronics to find my way around. Those small displays drive me crazy, and you can really look kind of strange getting an 8 digit grid coordinate when you are just trying to get to Mickey D's. Someone might think you are calling in for an Air Strike or Naval Gunfire.

• Like 1

If you want to meet new friends why not try the following sites.

meetup.com

Internations.org

couchsurfing.org

You join the site(s) and check out the groups and/or activities of like minded ppl.

I was going to also recommend www.meetup.com where we have also found many groups of people to meet and do, even if just a movie meetup group. They have all kinds of groups there covering just about every area of interest.

• Like 1

Hi,

Welcome toCNX.

I'm married to a Thai woman and have been for nearly 10 years.

I'm here on a non-o married visa and thats worked out good for the last few years.

I doubt that you have a similar situation but you can opt for the 800K route if unmarried and its basically the same thing without the relationship..

When we bought land I knew it had to be in my wife's name.

The chenote was a real one so no contest there.

My lawyer (here in CNX) is excellent and drew up a usefruct where my wife owns the land and I get to stay on it for as long as I want to.

This is probably the best you could hope to get and no one could contest it unless they can prove you are the one who paid for the land

You would need a trusted Thai individual to pull this off.

Don't go for anything less than a chenote ti-deen and an airtight package or else save yourself some time and grief and flush your cash down the toilet immediately.

The result will be about the same..

The other option is going condo or appartment buyer, you won't own the land so no problem.

In any case, be careful, very careful this will probably be your last home purchase.

I say that because if you try and sell you'll only get a fraction of it back specially if people know selling is your only option and doing so within a short timeframe.

I don't drive here but I will say this, there seems to be a marked advantage in owning a truck (I think SUVs fit into this category).

You can buy a new one for cheaper than many used cars.

Thailand has the 2nd biggest pickup market in the world after the US,

My guess is because pickups are more utiliterean than cars, a people's vehicle if you will.

In any case the difefence is so stark that it could not be other than gov. policy.

Go to dealers and compare prices between new trucks and new sedans, it should confirm my point.

Lots of good looking used vehicles most of them repos, yes many live well beyond their means.

I guess you have enough frienship info already besides I don't get around much...I don't do bars, I do hospital outpatient appointments!

I speak english and french as well and my wife who runs a claundry business speaks prety good english.

We don't go out so we could not be counted on to be bridge players or do tea at 4..

We've been here 5 years and apart from the air and noise pollution its quite good.

My wife is not from here (closer to BKK originally) and she likes it to.

You can PM me if you need more info.

Good luck

DB

• Like 1

HMMM - "Old Lady", but driving for only 40 years...??? I retired 12 years ago and have been driving for over 50 years, but do not consider myself an old man...

So I am curious about why you consider yourself "Old"...???

My mind tells me I am still 21 but it is people that don't see clearly! I am called an old lady or treated as an old lady so I just use the words that people understand.wink.png

Dear Newbi

Welcome to Northern Tailand. I also wanted to move further north when I retired here in C.M. But there are some things that you should now about getting too isolated:

Healthcare outside of major cities is limited and getting transport from your home into Chiang Rai could even be a problem in an emergency.

Since you have driven in India I believe that you could handle the Thai roads and drivers EXCEPT the drunk ones.

Except for trips to visit family or for weddings and funerals Thais typically do not drive very far to see friends. I suggested to my wife that we look for a place in Mae Rim, and her response was, "No one would every come to visit us." I took that statement with a teaspoon of salt until, over time, I discovered that it is true.

You can certainly find 2 Rai within 20 km of the moat. Expect to pay 1 million THB per Rai. There are several larger construction companies that build Lanna style houses. Thaweephan Wood Products is one and is being managed by fluent English speaker. Keep in mind that wood in Thailand is very expensive and getting more expensive every day as Burma has banned most exports of raw timber. I would very strongly NOT recommend that you try to negotiate the builing of a house yourself.

Finally, make sure that the business relationship between you are your friend in BKK is in writing and is drawn up by YOUR Thai lawyer in English and Thai. The Thai copy is then registered with the land office. If you lease the land and house from him/her, you need an iron clad life tennancy in the house. Build one large enough to have a live in person to manage the house and help with vendors. Do everything you can to avoid legal problems as Farang have very few rights within the Thai legal system.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Why would you want to purchase Sor Tor Gor land if you have just arrived and speak no Thai? That land tends to be out of town and in areas where only Thai is spoken. Best to spend some time closer to town, learn some Thai, and then in a few years move further our if you think you can handle the (blissful) isolation from other ex-pats. Besides, as a newbie, much, much safer to rent than to buy. Also, there are a few "bars" that you might find some decent fellowship, such as the "Writer's Club" on Ratchadamnoen.

As for maps beyond the inner city, look at the GT-Rider's maps. Although geared towards motorcyclists, they are equally good for cars. I believe David is coming out very soon with an updated Mae Sa Valley map showing many daytrip options.

I agree with Johpa. Please, slow down a little.

Rent for a year close to town. Learn a little Thai. Enjoy getting to know a new place. Meet some people. Visit the expats club or at least their website. (The writer's club seem like a good idea and something i should look into.) I have been here a little over a year. I feel I am just now beginning to get a good feel of things and able to make good decisions. There are a lot of helpful people here. Choose the advice that make sense to you. Never give up your innate recognition of common sense and sense of personal truth and you will do fine. I have a friend about 65 that i will show this thread to. She has been here six months. Good luck! CM is a good place to start and spend 6-12 months getting your sea legs.

Edited by DeeMockMark
  • Like 1

Dear Newbi

Welcome to Northern Tailand. I also wanted to move further north when I retired here in C.M. But there are some things that you should now about getting too isolated:

Healthcare outside of major cities is limited and getting transport from your home into Chiang Rai could even be a problem in an emergency.

Since you have driven in India I believe that you could handle the Thai roads and drivers EXCEPT the drunk ones.

Except for trips to visit family or for weddings and funerals Thais typically do not drive very far to see friends. I suggested to my wife that we look for a place in Mae Rim, and her response was, "No one would every come to visit us." I took that statement with a teaspoon of salt until, over time, I discovered that it is true.

You can certainly find 2 Rai within 20 km of the moat. Expect to pay 1 million THB per Rai. There are several larger construction companies that build Lanna style houses. Thaweephan Wood Products is one and is being managed by fluent English speaker. Keep in mind that wood in Thailand is very expensive and getting more expensive every day as Burma has banned most exports of raw timber. I would very strongly NOT recommend that you try to negotiate the builing of a house yourself.

Finally, make sure that the business relationship between you are your friend in BKK is in writing and is drawn up by YOUR Thai lawyer in English and Thai. The Thai copy is then registered with the land office. If you lease the land and house from him/her, you need an iron clad life tennancy in the house. Build one large enough to have a live in person to manage the house and help with vendors. Do everything you can to avoid legal problems as Farang have very few rights within the Thai legal system.

Good luck to you.

Balanced indeed.

Why would you want to purchase Sor Tor Gor land if you have just arrived and speak no Thai? That land tends to be out of town and in areas where only Thai is spoken. Best to spend some time closer to town, learn some Thai, and then in a few years move further our if you think you can handle the (blissful) isolation from other ex-pats. Besides, as a newbie, much, much safer to rent than to buy. Also, there are a few "bars" that you might find some decent fellowship, such as the "Writer's Club" on Ratchadamnoen.

As for maps beyond the inner city, look at the GT-Rider's maps. Although geared towards motorcyclists, they are equally good for cars. I believe David is coming out very soon with an updated Mae Sa Valley map showing many daytrip options.

I agree with Johpa. Please, slow down a little.

Rent for a year close to town. Learn a little Thai. Enjoy getting to know a new place. Meet some people. Visit the expats club or at least their website. (The writer's club seem like a good idea and something i should look into.) I have been here a little over a year. I feel I am just now beginning to get a good feel of things and able to make good decisions. There are a lot of helpful people here. Choose the advice that make sense to you. Never give up your innate recognition of common sense and sense of personal truth and you will do fine. I have a friend about 65 that i will show this thread to. She has been here six months. Good luck! CM is a good place to start and spend 6-12 months getting your sea legs.

I totally agree with this too as we all come here with big plans and all but yours may be too ambitious. I agree with the renting too as IMHO, single/newbies should first rent, it's cheap, uncomplicated and if things don't work out, it's easy and cost effective as you'll have only minimal losses and can leave dodge in a hurry. Just saying..

• Like 1

Hi, I am Thai People

1. Just stay in CM for a year, you will have a friends for sure.

2. Go to True shop, buy some smart phone with 3G package, every Thai people use map from cell phone, no one buy GPS

3. Sorry, you cannot buy land until you marrie with Thai guy and get Thai citizen. "Sop Por Gor" not "Sor Tor Gor" is not for sale to every one. Our Gov' create special license for Farmer who has no land to make plant, be careful the agent cheat you. However, you can buy condominium instead.

or even better, just rent and keep your money in the bank for emergencies, fun, travel, new car. Rent a very nice condo and have the flexibility to move when you want. No headaches.

• Like 2

Hi, I am Thai People

2. Go to True shop, buy some smart phone with 3G package, every Thai people use map from cell phone, no one buy GPS

3. Sorry, you cannot buy land until you marrie with Thai guy and get Thai citizen. "Sop Por Gor" not "Sor Tor Gor" is not for sale to every one. Our Gov' create special license for Farmer who has no land to make plant, be careful the agent cheat you. However, you can buy condominium instead.

or even better, just rent and keep your money in the bank for emergencies, fun, travel, new car. Rent a very nice condo and have the flexibility to move when you want. No headaches.

Bottom line: I would find a really nice place to rent for a year. Someplace I know I will enjoy. Chill out and enjoy myself. Get to know a few people and the lay of the land. BUT MOST OF ALL ENJOY TODAY! Today is the only day you have. It's nice to have plans and schemes but don't lose your ability to relax and enjoy right now. And I wouldn't rush into to trying to find the "perfect" place to buy so I can THEN finally be happy and enjoy life in Thailand. I would remember to enjoy the journey a little and find a really enjoyable rental for the interim. When I first came I took a month with a Tuk Tuk driver (that I continue to use and that speaks great English) to looked around. I am glad I did. Some property manager will pick you up but it is nice to have you own "wheels" and meet them . I found a great place in a Land and House Park and I just signed my second year lease. This works for me and is what I want. I have a Koi pond and garden and patio and off street parking in an excellently maintained neighborhood. One necessity to look for is a property manager/owner that speaks good English. You need to be able to communicate clearly with them. I am twenty minutes from Downtown CM. My property manager is w/ Chiang Mai House and is a Thai with American citizenship and married to a Farlang. I have amazingly had no complaints about her. PM me if you want her #. She speaks perfect English and she has been a blessing.

Finally, I came around the same time with a friend. He didn't look around enough and settled on a Condo on Neimenheimen. Lets just say.... CONDO FROM HELL. Awful place big monstrosity and too TOO many people (for my and evidently his taste) and bad vibes. Look around and get something you can really relax in and that is within your budget and your charactor. I can actually say my living arrangement is really nice and very affordable and I am happy.

• Like 2

Hi, I am Thai People

Bottom line: I would find a really nice place to rent for a year. Someplace I know I will enjoy. Chill out and enjoy myself. Get to know a few people and the lay of the land. BUT MOST OF ALL ENJOY TODAY! Today is the only day you have. It's nice to have plans and schemes but don't lose your ability to relax and enjoy right now. And I wouldn't rush into to trying to find the "perfect" place to buy so I can THEN finally be happy and enjoy life in Thailand. I would remember to enjoy the journey a little and find a really enjoyable rental for the interim. When I first came I took a month with a Tuk Tuk driver (that I continue to use and that speaks great English) to looked around. I am glad I did. Some property manager will pick you up but it is nice to have you own "wheels" and meet them . I found a great place in a Land and House Park and I just signed my second year lease. This works for me and is what I want. I have a Koi pond and garden and patio and off street parking in an excellently maintained neighborhood. One necessity to look for is a property manager/owner that speaks good English. You need to be able to communicate clearly with them. I am twenty minutes from Downtown CM. My property manager is w/ Chiang Mai House and is a Thai with American citizenship and married to a Farlang. I have amazingly had no complaints about her. PM me if you want her #. She speaks perfect English and she has been a blessing.

Finally, I came around the same time with a friend. He didn't look around enough and settled on a Condo on Neimenheimen. Lets just say.... CONDO FROM HELL. Awful place big monstrosity and too TOO many people (for my and evidently his taste) and bad vibes. Look around and get something you can really relax in and that is within your budget and your charactor. I can actually say my living arrangement is really nice and very affordable and I am happy.

You made a right choice. If you want to know chill out place arround CM city, I can tell you via PM.