Shop to rent

Noi657

Thanks... I'll get the "wife" to look then as I am completely incapable! Just thought I would put some feelers out prior. Thanks for your invaluable information!

You may be capable of finding it yourself. It's just that if you appear as a Farang, you will be paying "Farang-Prices".

Definition "Farang-Price": A price that can be far above going "market-prices" that would apply to Thai-Nationals. ERGO: Have a Thai-National functioning as your scout.

In general, it's common sense to familiarize oneself with the "in's and out's" of this country BEFORE venturing into the jungle of "Farangs trying to do business" in Thailand.

This type of jungle has claimed more Farang victims then the real jungle with poisonous snakes, spiders etc.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, I'm being premature here! Were still in the UK waiting for the sale of our house. I'm tip toeing and generally asking random questions. As soon as the sale of the house goes through we will be moving to Udon. I have given ourselves 12 months to find a viable business, whether that be pub, restaurant, guesthouse, baby sitter, bramble picker! It doesn't even have to be in Udon. It must however be near a school! I also have the option to buy/sell property in the Uk or buy a property to rent. I would however prefer to be in Thailand full time. I won't rush into anything without doing some groundwork prior, however any input no matter how small is always taken on board and I appreciate all answers/feedback.

Thanks for all your replies, I'm being premature here! Were still in the UK waiting for the sale of our house. I'm tip toeing and generally asking random questions. As soon as the sale of the house goes through we will be moving to Udon. I have given ourselves 12 months to find a viable business, whether that be pub, restaurant, guesthouse, baby sitter, bramble picker! It doesn't even have to be in Udon. It must however be near a school! I also have the option to buy/sell property in the Uk or buy a property to rent. I would however prefer to be in Thailand full time. I won't rush into anything without doing some groundwork prior, however any input no matter how small is always taken on board and I appreciate all answers/feedback.

My apologies. Was under the impression, that a newly acquainted "Pattaya-Hostess" is pressuring you into something. Fortunately this is not the case.

Therefore, I find that your prudent step by step approach will definitely increase your chances of success.

Good luck & cheers.

• Like 2

Is your wife ready, able and willing to do the work in whatever business you choose?

You may be the "brains" or the guiding hand in the outfit but she will definitely be doing the day to day running of the business with the long hours and hassles.

When you settle in Thailand take your time deciding on what you will do and then approach it as you would a business in the west.

For example Udon has many bar/restaurant aimed at westerners. Why will yours be successful?

What will be your fall back plan if your business fails?

Again... Thanks for your replies, they all help! My background is refurb/renovations of property in the Uk, so to be honest I have NO experience of business in a foreign land. My wife was a manager of a hotel for 5 years, she currently works part time in a Thai restaurant here in the UK. Like I said previously, we need to come to Thailand and try and figure out what could work for us, if we feel that there isn't a viable option then I will come back to blighty. All I know is at the moment I'm tired of flogging a dead horse here in England, I need a new challenge.

• Like 1

Just take lots of time being in Thailand and learn the Thai culture before thinking of any business here. I have built my wife a good size mini mart gas station and Thai restaurant. She is busy all day and into the night and has realy made no money. At times she has more in the beginning but here in Thailand there is the monkey see monkey do mentality. As soon as they see you do anything that makes money they will do the same. When we built the mini mart there was none around for 4 kilo. Now there is one next door to her and 3 more have been built all in 1 kilo of us. Built the gas station and that did well until 1 more went in along with 2 coin operated gas pumps. Restaurant has never been good but then not in a good location. I find with all of these ventures I still have dig into my pocket to pay power bill for her. I am glad nothing is leased so no payments there.

My best suggestion is find a good hobby to do like ridding bikes and do a little travel and don't think of a business of any kind until you understand how things really are here first.

PS I wanted to also mention one more thing thats Thai labor. Can be very frustrating and super unreliable and it does not mater if they are family or not in fact family can be the worst.

Edited by furyrider
  • Like 1