Thai telecommunications: New plan for 11-digit phone numbers considered

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi There

Anyone knows

if I bought SIM card In pattaya, now moved to BKK, so if I call pattaya will I pay long distance ?

is there is long distance if you call from cell to cell in Thaialnd,

Anyone knows about listening devices on the phone

the company I worked for in BKK, I quit now, gave me SIM card with bug installed so they was listening to all my conversations

does this thing jump to phone ? can it jump,

I mean will my sell phone after using that buged SIM, get that bug ?

John

I will miss having some middle aged woman who can't speak a lick of English calling me 4 or 5 times speaking at me loudly in Thai.

yo rkidlad, and the rest of u complaining about the language and other skills of the Thai people - if you haven't noticed you are in THAILAND!! the land of the THAIS. it is YOU that have to learn THEIR language and THEIR habits if you want to live here, not they have to change in order to accommodate you

Yes, you're absolutely right but you've completely missed the point and the context.

The point is that I am clearly not the person they wanted to contact. If the lady doesn't speak a lick of English, I doubt very much she's trying to contact a foreigner.

If I'm at home in the UK and I call someone speaking Chinese, I think it's fair to assume they're not the person I want. It doesn't take 5+ phone calls and my Chinese girlfriend to call them and confirm I have the wrong number.

I can now speak quite good Thai, and this was more of a problem when I first got here. When I first got here, my Thai sucked but 'THAIS living in THAILAND' didn't seem to take any offence.

My comment was made in jest and was certainly not a criticism of anyone's language skills. It was a funny observation that only you have taken offence to. Remember, you're a 'FOREIGNER' and have no right to be offended outside of your own country.

Point taken about your comment being in jest. I got a smile out of it- thanks. But if actual insulting or malicious statements are made by foreigners you are absolutely wrong that other non citizens have no right to be offended. If an unfair and denigrating assertion is made about people that I like and respect I have every right to admonish the author and challenge the veracity of his statement. I have more justification for doing this than an uninformed foreigner does to make unfriendly commentary that is capricious slander or is deliberate mischaracterization. Your statement- "Remember, you're a 'FOREIGNER' and have no right to be offended outside of your own country." Is absolutely ludicrous and untenable. Let's take it conversely. "...you're a 'FOREIGNER' and have no right to OFFEND outside of your own country." Oh well, there goes this forum.

Yes, I was being sarcastic about not being allowed to be offended. You seemed to take great offence to people getting in line with all that is 'THAI', yet you yourself are not THAI.

This is an open forum in 'ENGLISH'. Thais are welcome to come and post here the same as anyone else. This forum does create a lot of negativity at times, but that's the right of the people who post here.

Hi There

Anyone knows

if I bought SIM card In pattaya, now moved to BKK, so if I call pattaya will I pay long distance ?

is there is long distance if you call from cell to cell in Thaialnd,

Anyone knows about listening devices on the phone

the company I worked for in BKK, I quit now, gave me SIM card with bug installed so they was listening to all my conversations

does this thing jump to phone ? can it jump,

I mean will my sell phone after using that buged SIM, get that bug ?

John

Your "sell" phone is irreparably bugged...throw it in the klong and go buy a new one

And you know how it works ?

is that virus worm ?

As soon as I replaced SIM evrything comes to normal,

and then I wiped out os on my BB and installed new one

I don't think it there anymore,

unless you know more then I do please explain.

also , when you buy SIM did you nouticed there is many numbers on it one of then is password,

I think if people do not know your sim password they cannot copy bug into it, ( I am not sure so )

Clearly, some people have absolutely no idea why mobile numbers are prefixed with a zero .....

They aren't in China.

Nor in Greece. Mobile numbers are ten digit and start with 69. Also landline area codes don't start with zero, either, so when you call any phone here from overseas the number you call is the same as when you call internally, apart from the country code prefix.

Clearly, some people have absolutely no idea why mobile numbers are prefixed with a zero .....

They aren't in China.

Nor in Greece. Mobile numbers are ten digit and start with 69. Also landline area codes don't start with zero, either, so when you call any phone here from overseas the number you call is the same as when you call internally, apart from the country code prefix.

They changed from a zero in 2002.