Using the wrong gear: Car falls off building in Nonthaburi

webfact

How can you actually let a 70 year age plus old couple, who are very prone to mental lapsis, drive by themselves, especially when the brain doesn't function so well any more at this age...

My friend is 94 and he has just given his licence up and gone into a facility with his 89 year old wife.

Given up chasing the girls and wants to to settle down.......thumbsup.gif

Good for them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the fences are near on useless. whether it's the materials of the fence or the fixings, none of them take much to let a vehicle through.

in a building i worked in Chatuchuk, a woman drove right through a concrete barrier and died when the car flipped, that was from the 5th floor. she landed on the roof. i can understand a 70 something year old getting confused but this poor girl was in her 30's and worked for a car company.

the concrete barrier there was built with the usual reinforcement and connected to the floor slab with the same re-bar - about 6mm or so. not much to resist a 1t + moving mass.

Eerrmmm...don't think the fence is the issue here.

Eerrmmm...maybe if there was a proper crash barrier the car would not have gone over the side!

We drive cars to crash them?

the fences are near on useless. whether it's the materials of the fence or the fixings, none of them take much to let a vehicle through.

in a building i worked in Chatuchuk, a woman drove right through a concrete barrier and died when the car flipped, that was from the 5th floor. she landed on the roof. i can understand a 70 something year old getting confused but this poor girl was in her 30's and worked for a car company.

the concrete barrier there was built with the usual reinforcement and connected to the floor slab with the same re-bar - about 6mm or so. not much to resist a 1t + moving mass.

Eerrmmm...don't think the fence is the issue here.

Eerrmmm...maybe if there was a proper crash barrier the car would not have gone over the side!

We drive cars to crash them?

for those with a lack of imagination, a safety barrier, OK!

Ouch !! However it's very hard to describe this accident site as a "crime scene"

I would have thought that the BIB would go to the car 1st, then maybe look up and notice the damaged railings. But no, this guys go to the car park 1st 'the crime scene' then look down and happen to notice a mangled car with 2 old folk stuck in it !!!

Glad the couple were ok, very lucky people...

Sometimes the article is the reporters interpretation of events and not what actually happened. Don't believe what you read or see on TV as being 100 percent correct.

This was the main problem:

" ..... the driver was his wife, Mrs.Kannika Titaram, 79 years old ....."

sorry for them and fortunately they didn't kill any-one.

hope the new denture wasn't hurt in Mr. Titaram's mouth :))

The second problem:

these buildings (park lots) have a very weak safety barrier. this car had not any moving energy, just started, and could break the fence. this is impossible in a normal building. I have seen my own eyes: a local man smoked, leaned to barrier behind the car as they do anytime, and almost fall down cause the barrier broke ... he was around 70 Kg.

Edited by Loles

How can you actually let a 70 year age plus old couple, who are very prone to mental lapsis, drive by themselves, especially when the brain doesn't function so well any more at this age...

You speak for yourself.....................rolleyes.gif .......................coffee1.gif

I am with MMARLOW on this.

Myself being 80++ year old. Have no difficulty passing a mandatory "Properly Supervised" annual driving test to retain my Unrestricted Australian Driving Licence. From my experience here I am doubtfull if many local 20/30 year old drivers would get a pass mark.

For those interested I did not pay any Baht nor AUD as is common here when applying for a driving licence.

Do you mean you are with marlow, who pinched my post. #13 instead of agreeing or earlier reading. If I see a post that I was going to post the same I agree with them rather than do a same same postwai2.gif

or if you see a post..then post a previous post..then hit the post and fall off a car park...

Now I'm confused

Whose post did they hit? And who was driving...the dentist?

Ha Ha, this all started with my 1st (post) #13 within a couple of posters this guy comes up with near to my comments. and after that another agrees with him (as though it was his idea) amazing.

I really tried to say if anyone is going to comment the same as another member better they (like this) rather than steal. No big deal though everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Ha Ha only I knew what I was talking about. sorry to confuse.

I had to laugh at MaxLee his post bashed the old people for being sort of senile and past it, he commented about elderly having LAPSIS in the mind,cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ok he meant lapses, but having this typo err with his comments was bleeding hilarious. anyway keep smiling ginjag

Quite right. How dare the country allow old people to drive. It's an outrage

Let's ban teenage <deleted> and old farts and then women and then all the smug know-it-all drivers and hey presto! No traffic jams.

The importance of proper driving tests cannot be overstated, there are far too many people on Thailand's roads who should not be there, they are not fit to be there, they are independent drivers with their own version of driving, what this accident reminds us of is how important it is to read the manual for the car before you drive it.

whether it's the materials of the fence or the fixings

Corruption!!!

Ever notice people half that age or less that are very prone to mental lapses? i see kids everyday on motos riding without a helmet while talking on the phone with several other riders on the bike. If that isn't some kind of mental lapse then I guess I don't know what is.

Age in itself is not a basis for making determination of mental condition. While the people in this instance should consider giving up the privilege of driving I don't think there is an arbitrary age at which one should not drive.