My house exploded

PeterSmiles

- but if properly fitted it does not provide any ventilation benefit, as all ridges are sealed with self adhesive butyl rubber sheets.

Also, the foil should go under the battens no matter whether you use dry fix, or cement joints.

As for the CPAC install team, if your contractors haven't used the fry fix system before using this service would be recommended - first attempts at using dry-fix always end up with crooked ridges wink.png

Why you think there are no ventilation benefits ?

The rubber sheets are perforated to let the air out.

What's a crooked ridge ?

The butyl sheets are not perforated - if they were, they wouldn't perform their intended function (waterproof the joints). If yours are perforated, you might want to wonder how well the installer understood the system wink.png

According to my dictionary, crooked = not straight wink.png

I doubt that the installer perforated the thousands of holes in the tape himself, and I also doubt that Ceris doesn't know what they are doing as they provided the butyl sheets.

This is the best picture I can find now. Notice the slits in the silver part of the Drytech system.

fitting_02-1-2.gif

USPs: gg.gif Easy installation gg.gif Aesthetic and cleanness gg.gif Protection against water leakage gg.gif Air ventilation 250 m3 /hour/m gg.gif RollFix Plus length 3.3 m., longer than any other brands in the market

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- but if properly fitted it does not provide any ventilation benefit, as all ridges are sealed with self adhesive butyl rubber sheets.

Also, the foil should go under the battens no matter whether you use dry fix, or cement joints.

As for the CPAC install team, if your contractors haven't used the fry fix system before using this service would be recommended - first attempts at using dry-fix always end up with crooked ridges wink.png

Why you think there are no ventilation benefits ?

The rubber sheets are perforated to let the air out.

What's a crooked ridge ?

The butyl sheets are not perforated - if they were, they wouldn't perform their intended function (waterproof the joints). If yours are perforated, you might want to wonder how well the installer understood the system wink.png

According to my dictionary, crooked = not straight wink.png

I doubt that the installer perforated the thousands of holes in the tape himself, and I also doubt that Ceris doesn't know what they are doing as they provided the butyl sheets.

This is the best picture I can find now. Notice the slits in the silver part of the Drytech system.

fitting_02-1-2.gif

USPs: gg.gif Easy installation gg.gif Aesthetic and cleanness gg.gif Protection against water leakage gg.gif Air ventilation 250 m3 /hour/m gg.gif RollFix Plus length 3.3 m., longer than any other brands in the market

Not familiar with this brand's system, but holes in the butyl rubber make no sense - that's what makes it waterproof. Are you sure they're actual holes, not just divots to make it more flexible?

No wonder your neighbors were asking if your roof leaks - they must have seen your holey butyl rubber sheets :P

fitting_02-1-2.gif

Not familiar with this brand's system, but holes in the butyl rubber make no sense - that's what makes it waterproof. Are you sure they're actual holes, not just divots to make it more flexible?

No wonder your neighbors were asking if your roof leaks - they must have seen your holey butyl rubber sheets tongue.png

Ceris which is originally French is part of the Cpac Monier group and distributed through every Cementhai homemart in the country.

You will notice that the slits are only in the middle of the Drytech, which is at the top of the metal saddle that is mounted below and on which the ridge tiles are screwed and therefor is also completely covered by the ridge tiles.

The part that has the slits is also not Bitumen, but some synthetic material, while the edges that stick on the roof tiles are in Bitumen.

What you think would be the purpose of a drytech system if no ventilation would be available?

By the way, I don't have neighbours, it was another poster who was asked if his roof leaked.

fitting_02-1-2.gif

No wonder your neighbors were asking if your roof leaks - they must have seen your holey butyl rubber sheets tongue.png

Ceris which is originally French is part of the Cpac Monier group and distributed through every Cementhai homemart in the country.

You will notice that the slits are only in the middle of the Drytech, which is at the top of the metal saddle that is mounted below and on which the ridge tiles are screwed and therefor is also completely covered by the ridge tiles.

The part that has the slits is also not Bitumen, but some synthetic material, while the edges that stick on the roof tiles are in Bitumen.

What you think would be the purpose of a drytech system if no ventilation would be available?

By the way, I don't have neighbours, it was another poster who was asked if his roof leaked.

You don't actually expect anyone to see detail in those images you posted do you? :D

It really doesn't matter how the holes are implemented - if water didn't make it way under roof caps, there would be no need for the butyl in the first place right? I can't possibly see how holes could let heat out, but not let water in. Sounds like a design made for climates where you don't get wind and rain at the same time ;)

As for benefits, read my earlier post :P

fitting_02-1-2.gif

You don't actually expect anyone to see detail in those images you posted do you? biggrin.png

It really doesn't matter how the holes are implemented - if water didn't make it way under roof caps, there would be no need for the butyl in the first place right? I can't possibly see how holes could let heat out, but not let water in. Sounds like a design made for climates where you don't get wind and rain at the same time wink.png

As for benefits, read my earlier post tongue.png

Let me try to educate you a little.

First of all I said that is the best picture available on the web, not my fault, but I made it clear already a few times that the silver part is perforated, not the edges.

The drytech is folded over a metal saddle or bow, no matter what you want to call it. with the middle part ( highest point ) which sits under the ridge tile perforated, but the sides which are maybe 5 cm wide at each side made in bitumen, because this part sticks on the roof tiles.

I'm sure you understand that the drytech has to be attached to the roof tiles otherwise the wind get under it and lifts the whole thing.. The perforated part is not visible since it less wide than the ridge tile and is completely covered by the ridge tile.

You also understand that rain goes from the clouds downwards to the roof end not the other way around. So the water comes down on the roof tiles, the bitumen part of the drytech system and the ridge tiles, but doesn't touch the perforated part since that is covered by the ridge tile.

Now it seems to work pretty well because where I stay it has rained a few times in the past years, and there isn't coming a drip of water in the roof.

As for the benefits, let me show you this picture which was posted by another member in another thread.Between the rooftiles and the foil is a constant airflow, which enters at the eaves and exits through the drytech under the ridge. If the drytech wasn't perforated the air would be stuck under it and make it heat up.

As I said already, even during the hottest part of the day, the temperature on my loft is still bearable.

i-L2486m2.jpg

And here is a video to show the working

http://www.monier.com.my/energy-efficiency-roofing-solutions/monier-coolroof-R.html

• Like 1

fitting_02-1-2.gif

You don't actually expect anyone to see detail in those images you posted do you? biggrin.png

It really doesn't matter how the holes are implemented - if water didn't make it way under roof caps, there would be no need for the butyl in the first place right? I can't possibly see how holes could let heat out, but not let water in. Sounds like a design made for climates where you don't get wind and rain at the same time wink.png

As for benefits, read my earlier post tongue.png

»No wonder your neighbors were asking if your roof leaks - they must have seen your holey butyl rubber sheets tongue.png «
(IMHO post #62)
I am the one with the neighbors asking… thumbsup.gif
My roof tiles are a kind of “dry fit” with no cement or any other adhesive; the tiles lock into each other with a protecting double water groove. No bitumen bands or any other stuff needed. smile.png
Attached photo shows roof under construction, the bright blue foil being the sarking and the silver foil the reflecting insulation.

post-122720-0-32966300-1388056505_thumb.

• Like 1

Peter

From the picture you have supplied , I suspect your roof battens are actually ceiling battens used for hanging plasterboard, so totally inadequate for cement roofing

tiles and sheet metal roofing. A test you could consider is to put a screwdriver between the purlin and batten and see if there is any movement, if there is any

movement I suspect the self tapers are popping due to the thinness of the battens only having one or two threads holding it down.

Without inspecting your house myself this is the best advice I can offer,

I am basing this assumption on Australian building standards so I could be wrong.

Peter

From the picture you have supplied , I suspect your roof battens are actually ceiling battens used for hanging plasterboard, so totally inadequate for cement roofing

tiles and sheet metal roofing. A test you could consider is to put a screwdriver between the purlin and batten and see if there is any movement, if there is any

movement I suspect the self tapers are popping due to the thinness of the battens only having one or two threads holding it down.

Without inspecting your house myself this is the best advice I can offer,

I am basing this assumption on Australian building standards so I could be wrong.

Cripes.... many folk here clearly havent done any building recently, his battens are the correct ones for roofing tiles sold at every builders yard, Thai watsadu etc they are not for ceilings these are a totally different shape, the dry tech system IS vented in the middle with perforated holes as this part sits directly under the top of the ridge tile and rain will never get under it.

There are some copycat drytech systems which are NOT perforated available...................go the builders yard and check them out.

• Like 1