Remembering Mandela's role in gay civil rights struggle

Jingthing

The late great Mandela, father of the Rainbow Nation of South Africa, had an important role in the gay civil rights struggle as well. I thought on the news of his death it was worth remembering that too here. I am not suggesting in any way the gay part is his most important achievement. Obviously not.

post-37101-0-36048800-1386336648_thumb.j

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/12/05/human-rights-defender-nelson-mandela-dies-aged-95/

The legendary human rights campaigner helped push for equality for gay South Africans, and helped to make South Africa the continent of Africa’s first and so far only country with same-sex marriage.

Speaking on human rights, Mandela said: “I am not truly free if I am taking away someone else’s freedom… Just as surely as I am not free when my freedom is taken from me. The oppressed and the oppressor alike are robbed of their humanity.”

Continued off-topic posting will earn a suspension. There is a topic running on the general issue of Mandela's passing here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686912-nelson-mandela-dies-at-95/

I will add that the admin of Thaivisa added a couple of public advisories and people were issued suspensions. Here is one;

members who post disrespectful comments will earn a suspension or even a ban

/Admin

Thaivisa doesn't allow duplicate topics, and this one refers to his credentials in gay civil rights. Please stay to that topic.

What has always impressed me most about Mandela wasn't that he "led his people to freedom" (others have done that), or that he "forgave his enemies" and jailers of 27 years (others, albeit fewer, have also done that), but that he rose above all that and ensured "freedom" for those whom he had never had any reason to even notice and nothing whatsoever to gain from, such as gays and other minorities. That puts him in a league of his own in this century or any other.

Edited by LeCharivari