The Reggae Pub

I got into a conversation a few days ago about the Reggae Pub.

Having been here for quite a while I automatically felt that I knew a lot about this place. But when it came down to it I didn't!

Frinstance - I know that something got burned down by stray fireworks. But I think this was the Green Mango?

This was back towards the end of the 1990s - when there was no real closing time and the beach road was a dirt track, and the shortcut across the lake was on a wobbly wooden bridge. The routine was to go out about midnight to the Reggae Pub, and then when it petered out head over to the Doors Pub just across the way until dawn then go get a breakfast and a beer on the beach.

Which was burned down - the Reggae Pub or the Green Mango?

Has the Reggae Pub always been in the same place as it is now?

Which came first - Reggae Pub or Green Mango?

HELP!!

Rob

1. Reggae Pub first opened in Jan. or Feb.1990 on the Chaweng beach road opposite from where the Beachcomber hotel is today. It was just a small bar and was packed on the opening night.

2. In 1992 they moved, setting up a wooden bridge across the lake to the Laem Din area and build up a massive two storey place with foodstalls and a video lawn at the front. I remember one stall was selling huge and tasty BBQ chicken baguettes for 20 baht.

3. On new years eve in 1996/7 it burned down when a stray firework hit the thatched roof.

4.Reggae Pub opened a few years before Green Mango

Hope this helps

Edited by Beng

From google:

Reggae Pub is the oldest and one of the biggest clubs on Samui. In the beginning the Reggae Pub was just a small bar on Chaweng Beach. Established in 1988 with 15 seats and a bar, Reggae Pub grew to a big nightclub later. With its relocation to the lake it expanded to a gigantic fun pub. In 1995 it burnt down, by tourist misbehavior and was completely rebuilt into the unique architectural wooden building that blended the Reggae style with the traditional Thai style to the modern classical decoration. It gives the place the special atmosphere it has."

From google:

Reggae Pub is the oldest and one of the biggest clubs on Samui. In the beginning the Reggae Pub was just a small bar on Chaweng Beach. Established in 1988 with 15 seats and a bar, Reggae Pub grew to a big nightclub later. With its relocation to the lake it expanded to a gigantic fun pub. In 1995 it burnt down, by tourist misbehavior and was completely rebuilt into the unique architectural wooden building that blended the Reggae style with the traditional Thai style to the modern classical decoration. It gives the place the special atmosphere it has."

Right. Could have been 1995/6 when it burned down

Me and a few mates were here for the first time to Samui on that New years eve and watched it burn down.

Lucky not to have been inside I guess

Apparently one of the fire trucks at that time couldnt make it up the hill from Lamai to help put the flames out... just heresay

But I dont know any more than that

I have been at the Reggae Pub in the 80s. It was on Chaweng Beach Road ~ opp. Centara Grand. Around the old Reggae Pub was very tense, and dark palm tree forest. It was a small diso something bar, because you could dance there on a small sandy dancefloor.

At that times the place to go at nighttime was Lamai. There were much more typical tropical island bamboo bars and small discos under the stars. The most popular was the Flamingo, bevor that Animal House on the beach. Western hippies and also young and very beautiful Thai females, who came to join Western hippies, were there. Everyone and everything was extremely easy going, smooth and magical. This was the best time actually.

The Green Mango was build years later next to the now Chaweng Boxing Stadium Laem Din in the 90s. Also a nice place, but not on the same scale like Samui's 80s. The Reggea Pub was where it is now already. Dancefloor on the left if you came from the bar street.There was a narrow, shaky wooden footbridge from there to the now Chaba Resort with two sharp bends in the middle of Chaweng Lake. In the morning you could see motorcycles in the water there...

• Like 1

Reggae burned down, went up quick too.

Where was it located exactly?

What year was this?

What caused it?

How long did it take for it to open again in a new location?

R

there used to be a place called the full circle in green mango. not sure but i herd that there wasa bomb threat there

r when u talk about those days. i do miss them a bit but we all have to grow up some time.

life was so easy then but with no fixed in come reality means cannot life like that for ever then u have kids family extra ................

Was there 1993, you had to ride the moto on this rickety wood bridge that was curved and sorta warped like 99.969 of the guests.

Leaving at 4:30 or 5AM one morning watched a German guy ride the bike ride off the bridge on his way out, splashed down in some really crappy stinky water, came out o.k. though, happy ending.

I remember coming back a little worse for wear to Chaweng from the Reggae pub, early 90's. We used to shake the bridge and watch the Hondas wobble all over the place.

Used to be able to buy a bottle, and leave it behind the bar for the next time in Green Mango. Don't know if still possible.

Also, I seem to remember a place called The Club that was on the Beach side of the road near the Island Resort. I think it was a pre cursor to the Solo Club. Also another place called Santa Fe towards the southern end of Chaweng...

Ah!! Memories!!