Not fair (differences in metabolic rate)

robblok

As i said in an other post I have been on a holiday (hence my general absence from posting long stuff as i hate using the ipad).

My wife and my brothers gf were there too and I could observe what everyone ate, my brother was there too and ill compare him to me.

We all did the same physical exercise, i might have done it a bit more as I am crazy about snorkeling and often stayed much longer in the water as other (3 hours was quite normal and did some free diving)

My brother is now overweight 94 kilo and has a gut he is 1.83 cm I am 1.80 cm and 87 kg. I am lean and muscular right now and will try to keep it that way.

My brothers GF is 75 kg at 170 cm and my wife around 49-50 kg at 155 (not fat but well build with muscle not flabby legs and such and a great slim waist and belly).

I seriously ate mostly salads and meats (of course at times i caved in a bit and ate carbs and some of the bad foods but not often ice ect). My brother always ate loads of rice and 2 dishes. In general he ate the bad stuff drank a lot of beer and snacks.

My wife ate what she always ate and my brothers gf ate less as her or the same. (as i said i observed it and it was easy to do as we were on small islands and almost always together.

In the end my brothers gf gained weight my wife did not while if you look at her size compared to my wife she should have lost weight.

My brother only gained 2 kg (lots of beer 4 bottles a day and loads of food) I gained nothing but did not even eat half of his meals and i made the healthy choices (if possible)

The holiday was a bit longer as 3 weeks, this in my opinion clearly demonstrated the difference in metabolic rates and shows that things are not always fair.

At the same time I was reading books about this and it is known that there are huge differences in metabolic rates.

This is of course not a post to excuse everyone from getting fat when they have a bad metabolic rate (because the weight comes slowly and at any time can you try to stop it).

But it did open my eyes more as before on how unfair things can be for those gifted with a slower metabolic rate

Side note (brothers gf did a thyroid test here and came out clean)

Also my brother will try to loose the weight he was always a skinny kid and i was the plumb one.. I might have teased him a bit too much but he needs to change as he did a blood test too and his cholesterol was bad and his Hb1C was not that good either. I was happy that he decided to make a change he also stopped smoking.

All n all I am still of the opinion that people are in charge of their own body but its not at easy for everyone.

I have known about limitations before as I have always worked out with weights with a friend when young.. both working out hard.. but he was skinny and I was not.. got the muscles easier while for him it was a struggle..

Too bad not everyone is a genetic freak that can look at some weights and get muscles and go to Mc Donalds eat and stay lean.

We have to do what we can with the bodies we have.. for some of us it will be harder as others but its not a reason to give up totally.

Hope its a good read for some people.

• Like 1

hi, I am 1.81 and 73 kg and am slim muscular build. Ideally you should be around that weight and certainly under 77kg. Perhaps you mean you are slim for your build? which I guess is very broad and muscular.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know what you mean. I'm strong and muscular but gain fat very easy.

However, even though this is less than optimal in modern society, biologically speaking it means you are more efficient in using nutrients which in turn means you would have an easier time surviving in harsh conditions. It is evolutionary much better than being skinny and having a hard time gaining weight and muscle.

The main problem for guys like us is that our genes are made for hard labor, but our relative smarts mean we work at a computer today. If I look at my family in Norway who are blue collar guys, but smart, the older generation who work construction are all slim but muscular, while the younger generation working indoor, driving more, doing less outdoors they are fat too.

hi, I am 1.81 and 73 kg and am slim muscular build. Ideally you should be around that weight and certainly under 77kg. Perhaps you mean you are slim for your build? which I guess is very broad and muscular.

I am quite muscular.. think of a guy with a 6 pack and build with loads of definition on his body...

Weight says little fat percentage says it all.

• Like 1

There is forever discussion on this , I always think that there were no fat inmates in Belsen.

Sent from my WT-PAD013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True... and everyone can loose weight.

But we are not all created equal in our metabolic rate and other body functions.

You can train as hard as you want but you wont outrun a world champion sprinter.

Genes have something to do with it too, but that does not excuse us from doing the best we can

I seriously ate mostly salads and meats (of course at times i caved in a bit and ate carbs...)

keep up the good job Robblok and overdue it eating protein. then you have (like me) an excellent chance to get a quadruple coronary and a single or (if you are lucky) a double aorta bypass.

it is really fun when they saw up your sternum with an electric jigsaw, stop your heart for 45 minutes and have your blood circulation taken over by a machine while the surgeon take out some spare parts from your arm or leg and replace the old clogged pipes.

best are the days you spend in intensive care. all wired and plumbed up for a few days and those days later when you have the rare experience to get to know how a 104 year old feels when it takes you a few minutes to pull on a pair of socks.

chok dee! thumbsup.gif

There is no ideal weight. That concept is just plain nonsense as weight of muscle and bone will vary greatly between individuals. We're talking about fat here and that must measured.

I seriously ate mostly salads and meats (of course at times i caved in a bit and ate carbs...)

keep up the good job Robblok and overdue it eating protein. then you have (like me) an excellent chance to get a quadruple coronary and a single or (if you are lucky) a double aorta bypass.

it is really fun when they saw up your sternum with an electric jigsaw, stop your heart for 45 minutes and have your blood circulation taken over by a machine while the surgeon take out some spare parts from your arm or leg and replace the old clogged pipes.

best are the days you spend in intensive care. all wired and plumbed up for a few days and those days later when you have the rare experience to get to know how a 104 year old feels when it takes you a few minutes to pull on a pair of socks.

chok dee! thumbsup.gif

You should probably consider how lucky you are to still be alive. 99.9% of the world's population don't survive such serious heart conditions. Either because they died from a massive heart attack or they couldn't afford the surgery.

chok dee! thumbsup.gif

You should probably consider how lucky you are to still be alive. 99.9% of the world's population don't survive such serious heart conditions. Either because they died from a massive heart attack or they couldn't afford the surgery.

Naam could afford it, he was sponsored by Philip Morris.

chok dee! thumbsup.gif

i'm well aware how lucky i am Tropo. i must have had a special guardian angel during the 3½ years daily (!) small heart attack-s (plural!). of course stupid me had no idea that it was heart related. after a CT-scan in BPH they didn't want me to leave the hospital. i left anyway and had surgery three weeks later.

chok dee! thumbsup.gif

Naam could afford it, he was sponsored by Philip Morris.

you must have talked to my wife behind my back mad.gif

chok dee! thumbsup.gif

Its not that I eat huge amounts of meat.. more as the average person but in total what i eat is not that much. I regularly test my cholesterol and those numbers always come out good.

Brother had them done too boy they were bad it was a good thing we made him check them. He ate far les protein but more beer more carbs and more of the bad fats.

Actually I am not totally against carbs at all just the simple ones and I limit the other good ones too.. But going to zero .. I tried it is too hard. (even my juicing would be hard then no beets or carrots to juice ect) (since a while i juice a load of vegetables in the morning)

Edited by robblok

I regularly test my cholesterol and those numbers always come out good.

good! then i withdraw my assumptions.

Dad had a heart problem hereditary high cholesterol or something like that (at least was told). Like you but less sever he had some bypasses and his chest cracked open.

After that i started testing regularly and still do.

I am quite muscular.. think of a guy with a 6 pack and build with loads of definition on his body...

I must admit you are probably much healthier than me too.

I must admit you are probably much healthier than me too.

I have no idea, only do regular blood checks (not that expensive here). I have never smoked and I almost don't drink (once every 2 months or less). That still does not say much as who knows what i could have that is not diagnosed. Bit hard to say who is what I doubt people can avoid all sickness.

I just do what i think is good for me and how I feel good.. tomorrow I might get hit on my bike. So far id say im quite healthy besides some sinus problems that never ever go away.

Ah sinus problems, an irritated nose and sinus pressure I'd guess.

I swear if it were not for this I would be in perfect health, as it is I feel like an old nag carrying a 100 kilo handicap.

And yes seemingly an insoluable problem in Thailand and in Bangkok especially.

Ah sinus problems, an irritated nose and sinus pressure I'd guess.

I swear if it were not for this I would be in perfect health, as it is I feel like an old nag carrying a 100 kilo handicap.

And yes seemingly an insoluable problem in Thailand and in Bangkok especially.

Actually not that bad anymore it has been worse. I have been operated for it it helped a bit but not totally. Just normal blockage because of irritated membrane combined with a deviated septm. Probably because of BKK polution or something like that. 90% of the time i have no problem but when I do i just have less breath.