Common diseases- Illness in LOS not STDs

mickjn

What do you think are the most common diseases-illnesses in LOS.I see a lot of people walking around especially females with those inhalers stuck up there snozzers and a lot say hepatitis. I am spend most of my time in LOS but I am returning to Australia twice a year for a couple of weeks.Last year in Australia my doctor gave me the flu shot and I asked about immunization about other things but her opinion if it you are staying in a big town no need to worry

Measles are quite common and I had a mild case last year. I had been vaccinated many years ago.
Dengue fever is also quite common. No vaccine is available and it is spread by daytime mosquitoes (Aedes aegypti).
Hepatitis A and Typhoid Fever (fecal oral route) and Hepatitis B (body fluids route) are all quite common.
Hepatitis C (blood route) is less common.
Japanese encephalitis is also prevalent. It's spread by a pig-mosquito vector.
Edited by 96tehtarp
  • Like 1

As above. In terms of immunization I would also mention rabies, very advisable to get the human pre-exposure rabies vaccine.

In summary, vaccine-wise:

rabues

Hep A and B (likely you have already had Hep A vaccine, but check)

Japanese b encephalitis if you will spend any time in the countryside

Most common diseases though are simply respiratory infections (cold, flu) and stomach bugs. In the hot season especially, easy to get food poisoning.

And dengue in the rainy season.

• Like 1