Family Mart opens 100th Phuket store

Lite Beer

Family Mart opens 100th Phuket store

1386481596_1.jpg

SiamFamilyMart CEO Mr Nath Vongpanich (standing, 4th from right) with representatives of the Family Mart chain’s top-selling product brands and store staff at the official opening of Phuket’s 100th Family Mart store on Saturday (November 23) at Central Festival Phuket.

The Family Mart franchise officially opened its 100th convenience store in Phuket on Saturday (November 23) in front of Central Festival Phuket on Chalerm Phra Kiat Road, revealing the retail chain’s brand new look.

SiamFamilyMart CEO Mr Nath Vongpanich said the new store covers 60 square metres and was constructed at a cost of B2 million.

“We have plans for more than 30 new stores in tourist spots in Phuket, Samui and Krabi in 2014,” said Mr Vongpanich.

Central Retail Corporation (CRC) acquired a controlling interest in SiamFamilyMart Co., Ltd in October 2012. The joint venture, which already operates more than 700 stores throughout the country, includes plans to open a total of 1,000 branches by the end of the year, and a total of 3,000 branches by 2017.

The Family Mart franchise was started in Japan in 1981 and became the country's third-largest convenience store chain, expanding over the past 30 years to the Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, China and Thailand.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/family-mart-opens-100th-phuket-store-43304.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-08

Remember the protests about Tesco-Lotus first opening and how it would kill off the mom & pop stores?

Seems like 711, Family Mart and all the other convenience stores did it by stealth as they slowly increased in number.

I can't think of any place in the world I have been to, that has such a density of convenience stores as Phuket.

Some of the local Familymarts have started stocking breads with a Russian translation on the side including a very good dark/black bread. Some decent stuff but at 80 Bht or so it is non-inexpensive. 7-11 wins on toasted sandwiches and ready chilled (not frozen) meals though.

No doubt really proud of taking a once stunning tropical paradise and paving it with concrete to fuel greed. Yeah, great job and no doubt the next 1,000 shophouses constructed in the next couple of months will also allow a few more 7/11's, Family Marts, Mom and Pop stores, beauty salons , etc.

Could you get any dumber?

• Like 1

No doubt really proud of taking a once stunning tropical paradise and paving it with concrete to fuel greed. Yeah, great job and no doubt the next 1,000 shophouses constructed in the next couple of months will also allow a few more 7/11's, Family Marts, Mom and Pop stores, beauty salons , etc.

Probably not only me who sometimes think about how it once was here. I cant recall I missed something then (93). Nowadays I feel unwell every time I hear about more new shopping centres, road construction and tourist attractions and cant understand a so called democratic province so totally let the place go down the drain.

The interesting thing is that both the Thais and foreigners seemed to be more content and satisfied living here that time. Today even the foreigners seems impolite and grumpy.

Probably not only me who sometimes think about how it once was here. I cant recall I missed something then (93). Nowadays I feel unwell every time I hear about more new shopping centres, road construction and tourist attractions and cant understand a so called democratic province so totally let the place go down the drain.

The interesting thing is that both the Thais and foreigners seemed to be more content and satisfied living here that time. Today even the foreigners seems impolite and grumpy.

Someone has to complete with Bangkok with shopping centers, but too bad in Phuket it usually consists of Tesco with MK, KFC or a Big C with an MK and KFC. Im always surprised how there are so many mobile phone stalls and physical shops on the island... is Phuket really in need of so many mobile phones?