Thai opposition says all its MPs to resign

Lite Beer

What an emotional and childish quote, for our country to advance, we need to move together rather than being critical for non constructive output

For "our" country to move forward, PTP need to stop trying to go back to 2006.

Don't live in the past. What is important is the present and future.

Tell that to PTP. They're the ones trying to change things back to pre-coup.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shows Abhisit to be a cheap "opportunist" and Thais I know are turning against him

they know that Abhisits call for mass resignations is because he LOST and hope to regain power through this cheap trick

I think Yingluck should say "up to you" and resume government and push through all the reforms without the idiot Dems in the House

Great idea - one-party rule, just what Thaksin wants. What reforms? Amnesty for HMV and over 2500 other potential corrupt officials as well as Abhisit & Suthep - is a reform? I'm afraid your knowledge of the current crisis (& apparently democracy) is severely limited.

• Like 1

Sadly what Thaksin says the elected, puppet, government does. As long as narcissist/corrupt Thaksin is (informally) running this country democracy will only be a dream.

So the people need to be informed and make democratically backed changes. Not throw the baby out with the bath water. The People's Council would replace the People's Vote. That is anathema to democracy.

"Democracy is a mess but it is better than the alternatives." W. Churchill

shows Abhisit to be a cheap "opportunist" and Thais I know are turning against him

they know that Abhisits call for mass resignations is because he LOST and hope to regain power through this cheap trick

I think Yingluck should say "up to you" and resume government and push through all the reforms without the idiot Dems in the House

Great idea - one-party rule, just what Thaksin wants. What reforms? Amnesty for HMV and over 2500 other potential corrupt officials as well as Abhisit & Suthep - is a reform? I'm afraid your knowledge of the current crisis (& apparently democracy) is severely limited.

It's 25 THOUSAND corruption cases that would have been cancelled if the amnesty was enacted.

'Tried to burn Bangkok down'? Don't you think thats a trifle exaggerated? 1 rich peoples shopping centre was set alight

For the benefit of those that weren't here and haven't read about it, this is apparently what "1 shopping center set alight" looks like.

I honesty believe some people empty their best thinking matter into the dunny bowl each morning.

Could be. Or they do so intentionally for alternative reasons.

• Like 1

5555 surely Pheua Thai win the prize for opportunism- pushing through that vastly changed amnesty law at 4.00 am?

Yingluck and reforms- what has she proposed so far?!

• Like 1

What an emotional and childish quote, for our country to advance, we need to move together rather than being critical for non constructive output

For "our" country to move forward, PTP need to stop trying to go back to 2006.

Don't live in the past. What is important is the present and future.

Tell that to PTP. They're the ones trying to change things back to pre-coup.

The reason why Thailand is not moving forth, may be it is because people devote to much time being critical on others. If one or the party is good, we are sure majority would vote for them. If one thinks unity and for the country, Thailand would move forth and benefit from a more mature approach. Anyway, it is just my opinion, if this continue, the country just drive around in circle.

Whyle other countries in the region go forward, Thailand goes backwards, to dictatorship.

Thailand is considerably freer than Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, China, N. Korea.

Only the Philippines and possibly Indonesia could be said to allow similar levels of public political expression.

so because they cant get their way they throw a tantrum and all quit instead ? ... great, just cripple the country for another few months and show there really is no new policy, no interest in a legal election process or ideas to move forward other than what they want, totally on their terms but wont outline exactly how it would work or any details at all ... pathetic... talk about baby steps, they are not even out the pram but the toys certainly are.

Thailand ... the land of tantrums and sulking MPs

Whyle other countries in the region go forward, Thailand goes backwards, to dictatorship.

Thailand is considerably freer than Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, China, N. Korea.

Only the Philippines and possibly Indonesia could be said to allow similar levels of public political expression.

I don't know about this, it's very easy to live in Vietnam. No work permit issues, no having to leave the country, a travel agent will do your 6 month visa renewal, I see people smoking pot in all the cafes, the police are told not to hassle the tourists. Vietnam is pretty nice, not sure what makes Thailand so special. If you want to teach in Vietnam, if you have a work permit they pay you more, if not, no problem.

I understand that as everywhere, some of you people are in favour of the reds and other the yellow shirts.

I not say one is better then the other, for me BOTH are corrupt, in one way or another. Maybe all the red votes are been sponsered, but nobody can make me believe, it not happen on the other side.

Thing is, the elections are won by the reds. Thing is also, that instead of finding a better strategy to WIN elections, the country is put in an instable position, time and time over again, by overthrowing in one way or another an elected goverment. How would you feel if opposition would all these things in your country, France, GB, Germany, Australia or whatever! Would you laugh that airports would be blokked, goverment force to stop functioning, the army used to break the power?

Sure Taksin family are no saints, both are playing a game of power, but at least the actual Goverment got itself elected. So for me, please yellow manifestors, find a way to get elected, then to overthrow a goverment, time after time. If you want to maintian a democracy, it is impossible to be the the only party in the country, and that is exactly what they wish for!

So let me understand this

This legally elected gvernement has offered to stand down and hold elections within 2 months but the opposition says that is not good enough rolleyes.gif

I think it clear who are the whack jobs are.

Thats because you dont understand whats at stake here if they buy an additional 2months then they get awfully close to the 180days where they could pass the ammnesty bill as easy as ripping of a fart and no one can say shit about it and after that the PTP could do whatever they want as they dobt have to listen to anyone people are not allowed to protest anymore they dont have to disclose what they do with public funds or how the 2trillion baht loan is spent etc do your home work

There are reasons for concern you just dont see the big picture...if they get time to reach the 180days its checkmate for democracy and Thailand has become a Thaksinocracy instead...

A question. Awfully close to 180 days. You clearly do not understand how that work. They have to dissolve the house way before the 2 months which puts them further way from it.

Then there is the question of the purpose of the protest. It started as a protest against the amnesty bill which I think should never been created by anyway, once the senate reject the bill, the protest seems to have lost it's purpose till Mr. Suthep comes up and say, let's get rid of the Thaksin Regime. What is that suppose to mean? The reason why they are in power before those fools have never for once managed to get into power via a proper election. Every single time the Democrat lose to some other party fingers point to vote buying. Seriously? I've seen vote buying from EVERY SINGLE PARTY including the Democrat party. So really a point to ponder.

So really, if the protest is for the removal of the "Thaksin Regime" accept the election, win some actual votes and throw them out. And not hire buses to pick up all your supporters from the south. Quite a coincidence with the floods in the south ain't it.

They are resigning only because they know that they are leading their supporters to their graves tomorrow and they are afraid that their party will be dissolved because of it if they don't.

Apparently there are lot;s of delusional posters.

check out

http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2013/results/

for what the PTPredshirts are all about. Then ask your self is that the kind of people you want to make up excuses for. Do you really want to support them the missing 350 billion for the water management would have them out in any western country. Yet the people who couldn't make it in the western countries come here where there kind of thinking is acceptable.

so because they cant get their way they throw a tantrum and all quit instead ? ... great, just cripple the country for another few months and show there really is no new policy, no interest in a legal election process or ideas to move forward other than what they want, totally on their terms but wont outline exactly how it would work or any details at all ... pathetic... talk about baby steps, they are not even out the pram but the toys certainly are.

Thailand ... the land of tantrums and sulking MPs

No, it's not a tantrum. It's strategy. And we'll know in the next few days whether it will work or not.

That is what you do when your name is a joke and you are in a matter of fact not interested at all in democracy. If you cannot win elections, you do not take part in elections or your resign, hoping that you are asked to form the new government and can appoint "honest" people. Honest people like Suthep (land scandal, palmoil scandal,bribing scandal).

Hopefully someone in the judiciary have noticed it and disband the party and give all people who resign a life time political ban. Go out and campaign in Izan, take the voters seriously instead of refusing to get your boots dirty and serve the Chinese minority only. IF Bangkok was a normal place, all people living there would be able to register as a voter and even in Bangkok the Democrat Party would not stand any chance.

Yep the democratic party should be disolved. It is quite clear that their only aim is to disrupt the system, and all because they are unable to appeal to enough Thai voters. I have no doubt any general election called by Yingluck will be boycotted as well as any by election that might follow in the case she doesn't disolve the house.

An utter disgrace, no other words.

Disrupt what system?

The one where you get to play PM with the right DNA?

The one where you change legislation half way through its passage to benefit those with the right DNA?

The one where you cheat the vote in the house by giving your voting cards to a friend!

The one where you lie about closing voting times to con the house vote?

You should be ashamed of your undemocratic principles

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why would what I say be undemocratic ? I always thought democracy works through elections, in which all elligble voters get a chance to cast their votes for whatever party and MP they deem worhty of their support.

Yet the democrats have boycotted 2006 elections (a democratic party, in a democracy boycotting elections, absolutely unacceptable), the goal eventually was reached by the coup of the same year. A coup, another unacceptable concept in a democracy.

Let's face it the democrats cannot win at the ballot box, since most people up north and in the north east would rather vote for Somchai's dog than they would give the democrats the benefit of the doubt. So they revert to avoiding the ballot box and hope their old friends have another coup in store for them.

I don't know about this, it's very easy to live in Vietnam. No work permit issues, no having to leave the country, a travel agent will do your 6 month visa renewal, I see people smoking pot in all the cafes, the police are told not to hassle the tourists. Vietnam is pretty nice, not sure what makes Thailand so special. If you want to teach in Vietnam, if you have a work permit they pay you more, if not, no problem.

I was referring to political freedom, ie people allowed to set up political parties and compete in elections, nothing to do with tourists.

• Like 1

They are resigning only because they know that they are leading their supporters to their graves tomorrow and they are afraid that their party will be dissolved because of it if they don't.

Going to their graves? Are you suggesting that Yingluck has ordered the police to shoot people?

Read the Bangkok post. Suthep has said that people should be prepared to die tomorrow for the cause.

suthep said that not the democrats. suthep is calling for these days of [pointless] action not the democrats. suthep and the democrats are not one and the same.

Suthep is as tightly tied to the Democrats as Taksin is with the PTP. He was just distancing himself before protests to try and make sure his actions did not lead to dissolution of Democrats.

It's 25 THOUSAND corruption cases that would have been cancelled if the amnesty was enacted.

Yes you're right - I left out an important zero.

'Tried to burn Bangkok down'? Don't you think thats a trifle exaggerated? 1 rich peoples shopping centre was set alight - it remains unclear by whom. The army was instructed by indicted murderers Abhisit and Suthep to intervene with live ammunition and at least 90 people were murdered. so yes, Diamond King is right - the 'Dems' are the 'whack-jobs'

Milwall-Fan

You are the one who is minimizing the violence inflicted by Thaksin and the Reds. It's all a part of your revisionist history/hysteria. Why was the military forced to use live rounds? Because Thaksin's Black Shirts were firing live rounds at unarmed soldiers, and killed some Reds among them in the process. What about those killed by the Reds and the Black Shirts? Multicolor protesters killed by Black Shirt/Red Shirt RPGs? Those count among the numbers of dead, but you yahoos always try to pretend that the dead are all Reds, fits your little soapbox speech more cleanly, the truth be damned..

Don't you remember the Red leaders exhorting their foaming-at-the-mouth followers to bring petrol to "Burn Bangkok to the ground"? Don't remember, huh? I guess those brain cells are dead. They might have succeeded had the Army not stepped in, and did what the Red Police wouldn't.

It is the murderous, destructive Reds and their greedy, fascist puppeteer who are the real whack-jobs.

• Like 2

Why would what I say be undemocratic ? I always thought democracy works through elections, in which all elligble voters get a chance to cast their votes for whatever party and MP they deem worhty of their support.

Yet the democrats have boycotted 2006 elections (a democratic party, in a democracy boycotting elections, absolutely unacceptable), the goal eventually was reached by the coup of the same year. A coup, another unacceptable concept in a democracy.

Let's face it the democrats cannot win at the ballot box, since most people up north and in the north east would rather vote for Somchai's dog than they would give the democrats the benefit of the doubt. So they revert to avoiding the ballot box and hope their old friends have another coup in store for them.

Why would it be undemocratic NOT to stand in an election or to even boycott an election? Does that mean that there are nearly 46 million eligible voters in Thailand that are undemocratic because they didn't stand in an election? Not to mention the people who choose not to vote. Are they being undemocratic?

• Like 2

I was referring to political freedom, ie people allowed to set up political parties and compete in elections, nothing to do with tourists.

:cheesy: touche'!

Terrific example of it's all a matter of perspective.

They can go on, but it would then be a one party state, and look undemocratic, so effectively they are forcing an election in the hope that they might get elected or reduce the Shinawatra power base!

They DON'T want an election - that they have made abundantly clear. They want dictatorship (by the proletariat) until every Taksin influence is removed from Thailand, then they will be democratic. You will end up with the same results just a different political wing and a different group collecting the spoils of corruption.

If the Democrats do resign, PTP can just call bi-elections for those ridings..... unless they have some invisible hand guaranteeing them that there will be a coup... it is a stupid move. It's a betrayal of those that voted for them. When you run for election you are morally obligated to see your obligations through to the end of your term.

Edited by cacruden

Yes you're right - I left out an important zero.

It's easily understandable.

Where Yingluck's government is concerned, even nearly-impossible-to believe-high numbers, .... are still factored by 10 to achieve the real numbers involved with their dubious exploits.

Not sure how this will work out. Nobody appears to want to govern this country under a democratic system.

I'm very worried for Thai folk over the "Peoples" Council thing. At least the current democratic system had SOME checks and balances. I mean the Democrats and protests did help stop the amnesty bill. But an unelected council of appointed people smacks of a Laos, DPRK style ring to it. Hope I'm wrong but it seems to me the PC is a big jump into the unknown that will bring its own style of grief. Finding impartial, incorruptible people to serve for the greater good, seems akin to mission impossible.It might have been better for Thais to work with what they've got, rather than trying on a new system.

I also haven't seen anything to suggest that there should be either an election (assuming PT would run on a platform of maintaining the current system and the Democrats on a platform of changing to a new system of Peoples Council), or a referendum on changing the system of government. In my opinion, a change in governmental system should be voted for by the people. It certainly isn't, in my opinion, right that a very small number of protestors should decide for the whole country.

But I am just a guest and I'll go about my daily life whoever and whatever system Thais end up with.

Well, that is the problem with the "democrats'" platform....it is essentially "elect us so we won't ever have to depend on you to elect us again". I am no fan of Thaksin and his buddies, but the opposition's position just seems ridiculous.

The reason why Thailand is not moving forth, may be it is because people devote to much time being critical on others. If one or the party is good, we are sure majority would vote for them. If one thinks unity and for the country, Thailand would move forth and benefit from a more mature approach. Anyway, it is just my opinion, if this continue, the country just drive around in circle.

To move forward, you need to learn. To learn, you need to accept criticism. One of the problems in Thailand is that the Thais (generally) can't accept criticism, even when it's constructive.

There will be no unity in Thailand while Thaksin is involved. Thailand won't move forward while Thaksin is involved. It's irrelevant what I think of him. What is relevant is the 100's of thousands that came out to protest when the PTP tried to give Thaksin amnesty. The country is going in circles because Thaksin keeps getting involved.

I think the issue does not involve only an Individual or family. The country has estimated 66 million people, and critics just pin point on an individual or a family? That weird. There are much more reasons than that. However, if we focus on our target of growing and the big picture rather than just excuses. The country will definitely move ahead.