Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

Plenty of "great" coaches from the past... But I thought we were going over current AFL coaches? ;)

As for Malthouse - to be fair - has he really had a "healthy" side since he took over? Surely Juddy's spent more time in the rehab than he has on the footy field? Daisy's turned out to be flake, Mitch Robinson spends more time in anger management than he does playing footy, Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs stuck in the shadow of Juddy or too shy to take on leadership roles? (a bit like Frawley and Watts at Melbourne, lots of talent, but really lacking that leadership ability). Malthouse is the king of the bait and switch, did it at Collingwood and continues the practise at Carlton, I don't remember him being like that at West Coast (if the hansum man feels the need to correct me on this, he's free to do so, because he also good heart), perhaps it was McEverywhere's over bearingness that brought out this bitter old bar steward?

Carlton's a f***ing basket case, has been for a few years (coincidence that it was exacerbated when Malthouse took over?) Mars should switch their sponsorship from the flagship product to their Snickers product, why? Because Mick get's a little angry when he's hungry :P

• Like 1

Plenty of "great" coaches from the past... But I thought we were going over current AFL coaches? wink.png

As for Malthouse - to be fair - has he really had a "healthy" side since he took over? Surely Juddy's spent more time in the rehab than he has on the footy field? Daisy's turned out to be flake, Mitch Robinson spends more time in anger management than he does playing footy, Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs stuck in the shadow of Juddy or too shy to take on leadership roles? (a bit like Frawley and Watts at Melbourne, lots of talent, but really lacking that leadership ability). Malthouse is the king of the bait and switch, did it at Collingwood and continues the practise at Carlton, I don't remember him being like that at West Coast (if the hansum man feels the need to correct me on this, he's free to do so, because he also good heart), perhaps it was McEverywhere's over bearingness that brought out this bitter old bar steward?

Carlton's a f***ing basket case, has been for a few years (coincidence that it was exacerbated when Malthouse took over?) Mars should switch their sponsorship from the flagship product to their Snickers product, why? Because Mick get's a little angry when he's hungry tongue.png

Unlikely he needs the money and has to stay in coaching. He should give his notice, pack up, leave his family and head to Thailand. He might need a retirement visa or failing that an Ed Visa, but I do feel he will be much happier.

There was a rumour he might be headed back to West Coast

• Like 1

Plenty of "great" coaches from the past... But I thought we were going over current AFL coaches? wink.png

Carlton's a f***ing basket case, has been for a few years (coincidence that it was exacerbated when Malthouse took over?) Mars should switch their sponsorship from the flagship product to their Snickers product, why? Because Mick get's a little angry when he's hungry tongue.png

Unlikely he needs the money and has to stay in coaching. He should give his notice, pack up, leave his family and head to Thailand. He might need a retirement visa or failing that an Ed Visa, but I do feel he will be much happier.

There was a rumour he might be headed back to West Coast

Stop it BookManbah.gif

• Like 1

The AFL arranged for special testing of samples from Essendon players during 2012, months before the club's supplements scandal broke.

An explosive video has emerged featuring a speech from AFL medical officer Peter Harcourt last November at an anti-doping conference in Zurich.

Harcourt reveals the overseas testing and makes several strong comments about what Essendon's controversial 2012 supplements program involved.

The doctor also said he was setting up a program to monitor the players involved in the supplements regime because of fears they might contract cancer or have other hormonal problems.

The video emerged on the same day that Essendon, their suspended coach James Hird and ASADA returned to the Federal Court.

Essendon and Hird are trying to have the joint AFL and ASADA investigation of the club declared unlawful.

"We did have some wind of this (the supplements program) during the course of the year ... and so we did arrange through ASADA to have a number of specimens (from) these players sent to the Cologne laboratory, rather than the Sydney laboratory," Harcourt told the conference.

"But nothing came out of it."

Essendon announced on February 5 last year that it was coming under the joint investigation.

In August, the AFL kicked Essendon out of the finals and banned Hird for 12 months among several severe penalties.

Last month, ASADA served show cause notices on 34 current and former Essendon players, prompting the legal action from the club and Hird.

Harcourt's commentary in the video about what happened at the club is scathing.

"It was shocking, the extent to which experimental drugs were given to young athletes," he said.

"It highlighted the craziness or madness of certain individuals who were in the support staff, who really didn't come to grips with what they were doing."

He accused senior club officials of having "fan syndrome" where they accepted what was going on with the supplements program.

"(There was) fan syndrome ... the leadership at the club were ex-players who were icons of the game," Dr Harcourt said.

"I think this intimidated a number of management staff, the corporate management of the club."

He also did not spare the players involved in the program.

"There was quite broad acceptance by the players of this program, even though it involved quite unusual practices and hundreds of injections," he said.

"Athletes passively accepted the use - this shocked us, that players did not jack up and say 'what the hell is going on?'"

Harcourt added those players would need monitoring for potential health problems stemming from the supplements they took.

He said some of the substances involved remained unknown.

"This is the sobering element - my job now is to work out a program to monitor the players for the next five to 10 years," he said.

"They were given such exotic substances, many of them growth factors, which means we're looking at potential hormonal issues or cancers.

"Now we have to go through a process of looking after (these) 35-odd players just to make sure nothing really nasty happened to them from this crazy activity that individuals allowed to occur at the club."

• Like 2

The AFL arranged for special testing of samples from Essendon players during 2012, months before the club's supplements scandal broke.

An explosive video has emerged featuring a speech from AFL medical officer Peter Harcourt last November at an anti-doping conference in Zurich.

Here is the video. AFL talk starts about 10 minute mark.

16 minute mark it mentions the 2012 investigation. That of course goes against what Demetriou says the AFL knew.

http://youtu.be/n5dlqJPWBwk

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Well, this week I have handed all my tipping over to Chimpy in the hope of a better result. He is jumping with excitement. I have him decked out in a Collingwood Jumper.

Couple of close games this week:

Gold Coast v Collingwood? Collingwood lose this and they can forget premiership ambitions this year.

This will be a sell out. I know as i tried to buy allocated seats for a group of us (4 in a row) and the only seats left were at the back of the stadium.

Sydney v West Coast. For anyone who has seen Sydney play the last 3 weeks they will know how dysfunctional they have looked at times. Hoping it is a replay of the seaon start when they played like s-h-it. Anyway, West Coast looked good last week and with the Weagles at home they stand a real chance of winning this one.

Richmond v brisbane. Both of these sides have looked awful for the majority of the season. Then they come along and play really well. Can Brisbane pull out another win? Can Richmond Pull off another loss?

• Like 1

Well, this week I have handed all my tipping over to Chimpy in the hope of a better result. He is jumping with excitement. I have him decked out in a Collingwood Jumper.

Couple of close games this week:

Gold Coast v Collingwood? Collingwood lose this and they can forget premiership ambitions this year.

This will be a sell out. I know as i tried to buy allocated seats for a group of us (4 in a row) and the only seats left were at the back of the stadium.

Sydney v West Coast. For anyone who has seen Sydney play the last 3 weeks they will know how dysfunctional they have looked at times. Hoping it is a replay of the seaon start when they played like s-h-it. Anyway, West Coast looked good last week and with the Weagles at home they stand a real chance of winning this one.

Richmond v brisbane. Both of these sides have looked awful for the majority of the season. Then they come along and play really well. Can Brisbane pull out another win? Can Richmond Pull off another loss?

Nice work BookMan.

Are GWS sneaky chance against Ade at home?

And I do think North are a chance tomorrow but I'm no chance of picking them.

GC/Coll should be the game of the round. I also think WC are a big chance on Sat.

They probably played their best game of the year last week and Syd must be getting close to a loss.

I think Richmond should get the choccies at home against Brissy.

The sides are out today so a withdrawal either way could be a tipping point.

• Like 1

How you feeling about your premiership chances this year Ron?

They should be in with a chance like a number of clubs that are presently in the 8.I'd like to think they would have a better chance than last year when bad games by some players possibly as a result of nerves,cost them the grand final.The losing margin if I remember was 13 points and could have been a winning margin if Fyfe and Ballantyne didnt have such shockers. ( By the way,I'm not biased. whistling.gif )

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2

How you feeling about your premiership chances this year Ron?

They should be in with a chance like a number of clubs that are presently in the 8.I'd like to think they would have a better chance than last year when bad games by some players possibly as a result of nerves,cost them the grand final.The losing margin if I remember was 13 points and could have been a winning margin if Fyfe and Ballantyne didnt have such shockers. ( By the way,Im not biased. whistling.gif )

Poor old Ballantyne had the worst game I've ever seen him play.

If the Dockers get Walters back and finish top 4 they will be hard to beat. Even harder if they make top 2 which I

think they will.

To be honest, I don't think there's much difference between Syd, Hawks, Freo and Port.

Geelong might have 1 more big effort left but if they get to play GC in a final, they may

struggle (unless it's at Skilled).

It might all come down to an injury, suspension, a bit of luck or brilliance.

I'm really looking forward to this years finals. It could be the last on television for some of us.

• Like 1

Here is the video. AFL talk starts about 10 minute mark.

16 minute mark it mentions the 2012 investigation. That of course goes against what Demetriou says the AFL knew.

http://youtu.be/n5dlqJPWBwk

Ummmm if I were Essendon I would be shitting my dacks over this. They'd be going over the players contracts with a fine tooth comb given that the players aren't contracted to the Club but the League, that blows Little's argument that ASADA had no legal right to conduct the investigation in conjunction with the AFL...

Explosive wouldn't be the adjective I'd be using, just quietly :P

• Like 1

I think Richmond should get the choccies at home against Brissy.

The sides are out today so a withdrawal either way could be a tipping point.

Jack Redden, a key player for the Lions, is out injured after 113 games in succession.

Could make a difference. His replacement, Darcy Gardiner, has played 9 games.

I just checked Australian Network for which games are being shown this weekend. I hate there new TV guide so went to sport lounge. This week and next week they are showing 6 games.

post-126018-0-66096600-1404396212_thumb.

AN maybe finishing earlier than we thought. That is why they are allowed to show extra games.

No WC V Swans game this week. Very disappointed

• Like 1

I just checked Australian Network for which games are being shown this weekend. I hate there new TV guide so went to sport lounge. This week and next week they are showing 6 games.

attachicon.gifaaa AFL games shown.jpeg

AN maybe finishing earlier than we thought. That is why they are allowed to show extra games.

No WC V Swans game this week. Very disappointed

You might be on the money there mate.

I checked the games to be shown this morning and there was only the usual

4 games being shown.

So they've added 2 more games.

I guess we have to enjoy it while we cansad.png

Seems those of us who have CTH will have to continue to seek out via other means, just checked the screen and it's still black...

Oh well, kind of used to it now after a month :P

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems those of us who have CTH will have to continue to seek out via other means, just checked the screen and it's still black...

Oh well, kind of used to it now after a month tongue.png

Maybe with AN ending soon, neither side can be bothered with

contract negotiations.

Pretty poor by CTH IMO. I would be livid if I didn't have a stand alone

STB.

Edited by Will27

I haven't been able to see a game of football for weeks on AN.The whole satelite is out,maybe it's a local problem with my set up.

Do you have a stand alone STB and dish or do you watch it through someone like True or CTH?

I'm telling you fella's, the pundits are taking note of our little forum again.

Just when we were talking about coaches, comes this article by Duck.

I still don't see what he sees in Brad Scott though.

Time will tell I guess.

Respected and feared: the AFL's best coaches and future greats

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/respected-and-feared-the-afls-best-coaches-and-future-greats-20140703-zsujx.html#ixzz36STqjgep

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Here is another for the mind games

Melb V Freo is being played in Darwin.

Nice and warm

Melbourne almost beat Port playing in Darwin earlier in the season

That was in Alice Springs not Darwin. Melbourne have been playing in Darwin for a number of years. Usually 2 games a year. This year the opted for 1 in Alice Springs.

Oh well, kind of used to it now after a month tongue.png

Maybe with AN ending soon, neither side can be bothered with

contract negotiations.

Pretty poor by CTH IMO. I would be livid if I didn't have a stand alone

STB.

The contract was due to be renewed - according to CTH - 1st July and they weren't sure if it was going to be. So in their infinite wisdom, they didn't repair the connection that was "damaged" during the early days of the military shutdown of TV stations.

I'm not overally concerned by the whole fiasco, yes it's annoying have to rig up the laptop to watch the footy but c'est la vie, the picture via the laptop is generally better anyway, bright side of life and all that :P

I haven't been able to see a game of football for weeks on AN.The whole satelite is out,maybe it's a local problem with my set up.

Do you have a stand alone STB and dish or do you watch it through someone like True or CTH?

I have a stand alone set top box and dish.

Sounds like your dish might need moving or STB recalibrating.

Maybe use auto-tune and see if you can do it yourself.

Myself and ripstanley have the STP and dish and it is ok.

It doesn't sound like it's an expensive problem if you feel

inclined to get it fixed.

• Like 1

You might have to upgrade to HD. I had to get a new box.

• Like 1

You might have to upgrade to HD. I had to get a new box.

You may be right, I have two set ups,one sat/box for thai and another sat/box for AN,both of them going to the same tv.The thai set up is working fine and gets regular updates.I can't remember an update for the other one.

Edited by Ron19