Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

I'm following the Boomer case at the tribunal.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-16/live-north-melbournes-brent-harvey-fronts-the-tribunal

Jury deliberating now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cleared judging by the direction the jury have been given by

the chairman David Jones.

Jones recalls recent Steve Johnson case with Scott Thompson and says "things are not always as they appear".

Good stuff. Red Rocks while you follow or were you forced to grab a local spicy seafood flavor?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-16/live-north-melbournes-brent-harvey-fronts-the-tribunal

Jury deliberating now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cleared judging by the direction the jury have been given by

Jones recalls recent Steve Johnson case with Scott Thompson and says "things are not always as they appear".

Good stuff. Red Rocks while you follow or were you forced to grab a local spicy seafood flavor?

No RR's here matesad.png

Not guilty!

• Like 1

Jury deliberating now.

No RR's here matesad.png

Not guilty!

Big news. A win for the sensible camp, but not good news for Sydney.

Freo and fyfe supporters would feel justifiably bitter

Well, the footy's over for me. I don't care who wins the GF. It's all about 2015 now.

Can I finish my season with a story about another team that didn't make it? (I hope it's not offensive.)

Subject: THE IRAQI FOOTBALLER

Eddie McGuire flies to Baghdad to watch a young Iraqi play Aussie Rules and is sufficiently impressed to arrange for him to come over to Collingwood.

He is signed to a one-year contract and the kid joins the team for a full pre-season.

Two weeks into the home and away season however, the Magpies are down by six goals against Carlton and only 10 minutes left on the clock.
Nathan Buckley decides that with the game already lost, it is a good time to give the Iraqi kid a run; and what a decision it proves to be.

The kid is an instant sensation – he kicks seven goals in 10 minutes and wins the game for the Magpies.

The fans are thrilled, his team mates love him, the coaches are delighted, and the press falls in love with this new superstar.
When he finally gets away from the adoring masses and makes it to the change rooms, he phones his mum to tell her about his first day of AFL football.

“Hello mum, guess what?” he says. I played for 10 minutes today, we were six goals down, but I booted seven goals . . . and won the game for us.

Everybody loves me; the fans, the media . . .. ..

“Wonderful” says his mum interrupting him.

“Let me tell you about my day. Your father got shot in the street and is in a serious condition, I was ambushed and beaten and robbed,

Your sister was raped, and your brother has joined a drug gang; and all the while you were having such a great time playing a game.”

The young Iraqi is very upset and says “What can I say Mum? I’m so very, very sorry.”

“Sorry, you’re sorry?” she screams into the phone .. . . . . It’s your bloody fault we shifted to Collingwood in the first place!”

• Like 2

All Australian team being announced:

All four Swans players have picked up spots. Franklin, Kennedy, Malceski & Smith

chooka will be happy to hear that Saint Nick also made the cut..

Luke Parker missed a final spot? he was in the 40

I'm on the Luke Parker Band wagon for the next 8 years tongue.png

All four Swans players have picked up spots. Franklin, Kennedy, Malceski & Smith

Luke Parker missed a final spot? he was in the 40

I'm on the Luke Parker Band wagon for the next 8 years tongue.png

Yeah I totally forgot about Spider-Man, bit stiff miss out to be honest considering Ablett only played 3 games this season :P

I pulled this from BIgFooty:

Summary

On 25 of a possible 28 occasions the side having a spell in the second week of the finals has been successful. On the three occasions a side has played every week of the finals it has won through to the Grand Final, and has won the flag. Brisbane Lions (third on ladder) in 2003; Sydney Swans (third on ladder) in 2005 and West Coast Eagles (top of ladder) in 2006, bucked the trend. Having the week’s “rest” is certainly a big advantage, but it is not a cast-iron guarantee of passage to the Grand Final.

Overall context

Winning
* Winners of the First Qualifying Final have won – 12
* Winners of the Second Semi-final have won – 2 (Bris 2003; Syd 2005) and both went on to the Grand Final and won the Premiership.

Ladder finish (after home-and-away season)
* Top-placed teams have a W/L record of 10-0 in First Preliminary Finals.
* Teams coming from the lower half of the top eight are 0-2 in First Preliminary Finals, although both lost by only single-digit margins.
The upshot is most positive for the Swans and adverse for the Kangaroos.

Winners of the First Preliminary Final have progressed in the finals as follows:
* Won the Premiership – 7
* Lost the Grand Final – 7

* First Qualifying Final winner has won the Premiership – 5 (Ess 2000, PA 2004, Gee 2007, Col 2010, Haw 2013)
* First Qualifying Final winner has lost the Grand Final – 7 (Ess 2001, Col 2002, Syd 2006, Gee 2008, StK 2009, Col 2011, Haw 2012)
* Second Semi-final winner has won the Premiership – 2 (Bri 2003, Syd 2005)

Losers of the First Preliminary Final are eliminated.

Finals form guide

They have met in finals twice for one win apiece.

1996-MCG-GF – NM 19.17 v Syd 13.10
2008-Hom-2EF — Syd 17.8 v NM 11.9

All finals in the 2000s

Sydney Swans – 15 wins 11 losses (57.7 per cent success rate)
North Melbourne – 4 wins 8 losses (33.3 per cent success rate)

The record for each during the third week (Preliminary Finals) in the 2000s is:

Sydney Swans – 3 wins 3 losses
North Melbourne – 0 wins 2 losses

At Stadium Australia in finals in the 2000s

Sydney Swans – 7 wins 1 loss (87.5 per cent success rate)
North Melbourne – 0 wins 1 loss

At Stadium Australia against all opponents in the 2000s

Sydney Swans – 29 wins 20 losses (59.2 per cent success rate)
North Melbourne – 0 wins 1 loss

X-factor – The venue is likely to be a major factor in favour of the Swans.

General form guide (2000-14) – Swans have a lot going for them

Both teams enter this contest in excellent form. The Swans have won 17 of their last 19 matches. North have won their last six matches.

Head-to-head: Sydney Swans 15 North Melbourne 6 Drawn 1
Games decided by 12 points or fewer: Sydney 3 North Melbourne 2 Drawn 1
Games decided by 40 points or more: Sydney 6 North Melbourne 1

Current streak: North Melbourne 1.

When they last met:
Sydney Swans 6.12 v North Melbourne 13.13 at the SCG in Rd 4, 2014.
Early this season the Swans struggled; North played them at a good time. After that loss Sydney were 1-3. They proceeded to win their next 12 matches.

Their only previous meeting at Stadium Australia: Sydney Swans 17.8 v North Melbourne 11.9 in the Elimination Final, 2008.

The "hoodoo guru* notes –

The Swans have won 10 of their last 12 against the Kangaroos

• Like 2

IMO, a couple of glaring omissions.

Eric Makenzie buys and sells Alex Rance as a footballer.

No Ryan Crowley.......please. Just ask Boak, Selwood and Ablett

if he should be in.

Riewoldt in place of Hawkins?

Ballantyne perhaps a bit lucky or Eddie Betts unlucky.

• Like 1

With Bomber Thompson looking for a new home, this really didn't come as a surprise...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-17/sanderson

Not that the Crows have said that they're talking to Bomber, but I'll bet the phone will be ringing hot!

I don't know enough about his time at the club to make an informed comment. COuldnt have helped losing Tippet, to a better club, and then Walker through injury

An exercise in stupidity: Brent Harvey, Nat Fyfe and AFL head contact

Probably the best article I've read on it.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/an-exercise-in-stupidity-brent-harvey-nat-fyfe-and-afl-head-contact-20140917-10hm00.html#ixzz3DWvB0AkH

He makes some very good comparison points.

It is a bit twilight zone though. Neither player should have been cited by the MRP. (Was Boomer reported? I dont know). So really he is comparing the lesser wrong and the greater wrong of two cases were neither was wrong to start with!

With Bomber Thompson looking for a new home, this really didn't come as a surprise...

Not that the Crows have said that they're talking to Bomber, but I'll bet the phone will be ringing hot!

I don't know enough about his time at the club to make an informed comment. COuldnt have helped losing Tippet, to a better club, and then Walker through injury

5AA reporting that Taylor Walker and a group of other players went to Ricciuto and told him that Sando was not up to it.

Poor old Sando missed out on draft picks over the Tippet fiasco.

The only good point is a 2 year payout. I reckon he would be on around $500 000 to $600 000, so not bad money.

Just listening to 6PR and they're interviewing Stuart Dew. Stewie reckons he's ready for a main gig.....Ade?

Also, word on the Soi is that Bluey McKenna at GC is in big trouble. A board meeting tomorrow night tipped

to give him the flick.

You heard it first here guystongue.png

Edited by Will27

Losing Jack Gunston to the hawks in 2012 couldn't have helped either.

• Like 1

Very true. Did Tippet and Gunston leave because of the coach or because of the club direction?

Re:, what you wrote in the post before this.. I worry when players start to dictate about their coach and say he isn't up to it. Maybe he wasn't, I don't know, but I am wary of player delegations and demands. Sets a bad scene for the future, in my opinion.

I thin the Gold Coast finished about where they should have. With Ablett uninjured it would have been different of course. But they still did okay.

Mckenna seemed unable to motivate the team at the crucial times or make the moves necessary. But then again so did Paul Roos at times with the Melbourne players

• Like 1

Very true. Did Tippet and Gunston leave because of the coach or because of the club direction?

Re:, what you wrote in the post before this.. I worry when players start to dictate about their coach and say he isn't up to it. Maybe he wasn't, I don't know, but I am wary of player delegations and demands. Sets a bad scene for the future, in my opinion.

I thin the Gold Coast finished about where they should have. With Ablett uninjured it would have been different of course. But they still did okay.

Mckenna seemed unable to motivate the team at the crucial times or make the moves necessary. But then again so did Paul Roos at times with the Melbourne players

Gunston was homesick I believe, not sure about Tippet.

I agree with you. I think boards and management should do the hiring and firing,

not the players.

Word is that McKenna gave a spray about Jarrod harbrow in the media and the players

weren't happy about it.

The board were also unhappy about GC losing 10 out of their last 13.

But, I reckon if the coach loses his players, he's gorn.

Mark Harvey didn't lose them at Freo, the board just saw a better coach available.

The players at WC were responsible for Ken Judge losing his job though.

Stewie Dew eh... Geez another Ross Lyon in the making?

Bit of poor form on his part with the Swans not yet finished for the season.

Wonder if Captain Kirk will put his hand up and enact a bit of Karma on Ross?

Interesting times ahead...

We need a good clean out of coaches. Collingwood might be next

Stewie Dew eh... Geez another Ross Lyon in the making?

Bit of poor form on his part with the Swans not yet finished for the season.

Wonder if Captain Kirk will put his hand up and enact a bit of Karma on Ross?

Interesting times ahead...

Not as bad as it sounds.

Stewie was penciled in for the interview when news of Sanderson's sacking

came through.

They asked him if his phone was running hot and then asked him if he thought

he was ready for a main gig.

Nothing really untoward.

Rumour mill has already started about Clarko going to Ade if the hawks win the GF this yearrolleyes.gif

Speaking of coaches, of the current crop, Clarko, Lyon and to a lesser extent Roos seem to be

the most highly rated, with hinkley flying up the ladder.

Longmire doesn't seem to have the profile or reputation of the main 3.

Is that because it was seen as he took over a very good side off of Roos?

Then it was topped up with Tippett and Buddy.

That's my take on it.

Even if the Swans win this year, I wonder if his stocks will improve.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not as bad as it sounds.

came through.

Nothing really untoward.

Not as bad as it sounds.

came through.

Nothing really untoward.

Khun Will27, I know you're a hansum man with good heart but I have to disagree with you here, plenty untoward going on there, penciled in or crayola'ed in, approaching Dew with the season not yet done and dusted is a bit of poor form especially only a few hours after the coach had been sacked.

Rumour mill has already started about Clarko going to Ade if the hawks win the GF this yearrolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif>

Speaking of coaches, of the current crop, Clarko, Lyon and to a lesser extent Roos seem to be

That's my take on it.

Plenty at Sydney wondered if Horse would live up to the standards of Roosey, so far I think he's done a pretty good job, flying under the radar is almost now an artform. If the Swans win will his stocks improve? Probably doing better than the $AUD tongue.png

EDIT: To fix the bloody quote &lt;deleted&gt; up...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not as bad as it sounds.

came through.

Nothing really untoward.

Not as bad as it sounds.

came through.

Nothing really untoward.

Khun Will27, I know you're a hansum man with good heart but I have to disagree with you here, plenty untoward going on there, penciled in or crayola'ed in, approaching Dew with the season not yet done and dusted is a bit of poor form especially only a few hours after the coach had been sacked.

Rumour mill has already started about Clarko going to Ade if the hawks win the GF this yearrolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif>

That's my take on it.

Plenty at Sydney wondered if Horse would live up to the standards of Roosey, so far I think he's done a pretty good job, flying under the radar is almost now an artform. If the Swans win will his stocks improve? Probably doing better than the $AUD tongue.png

EDIT: To fix the bloody quote <deleted> up...

Mr Smith, I don't see it as that.

The interview was supposed to be about this weeks game.

The talk then got onto Malceski and then they asked him about coaching.

It was just coincidence that Sando had just been sacked......trust mesmile.png

Mr Smith, I don't see it as that.

The interview was supposed to be about this weeks game.

The talk then got onto Malceski and then they asked him about coaching.

It was just coincidence that Sando had just been sacked......trust mesmile.png

Ahhhh that'll learn me to get ahead of myself, thought it was referring to Adelaide having penciled in Dew for an interview not SEN or whoever the radio station was :P

EDIT: To fix the bloody quote <deleted> up...

The jury is still slightly out, however, if the Swans win this year that would be 2 premierships in 4 years for Johnny. Oustanding!

Johnny L has brought in a couple of changes that I like, The Swans now can play a much more watchable running and kicking game. Under Roos it was nearly always kept tight, conservative ball movement, lock things down, no space for the opposition, keep control of the ball. Longmire doesn't like to make to many radical changes during a game however. Whereas clarko would happily swap his entire forward line to the back line if it confused the opposition.

At times Sydney have semed reluctant to change tehir strategy during a game. Looking at thei r winning streak I guess Longmire and the group know better than me

A lot of young players have been introduced under Longmire's watch and a lot of successes. The question over some of these players is, were they introduced to the Swans system under Roos and are the Swans continuing to see that benefit? Or, has Johhny L stamped his authority and the players come up through him?

Part of it is the Swans culture they built up over a period of years. Not just the players, but a strong board and chairman, and coaching staff, starting under Roos, who were all on the same page. Roos has to be given kudos for being a large part of that gel.

Tippet and Buddy both elected to come to Sydney under Longmire, and the culture.

I think we have seen a small change in culture this year, but that partly can be put down to the team now having a lot of genuine star performers, who can command decent salaries. Would Buddy have been accepted under a strict no dickheads policy? I doubt it, but I certainly hope the Swans go back to the policy.

• Like 2