Suthep and Sonthiyan: fierce foes of Thaksinism

webfact

POLITICS
Suthep and Sonthiyan: fierce foes of Thaksinism

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- POLITICIAN-turned-revolutionary and controversial figure Suthep Thaugsuban, who is leading the People's Democratic Reform Committee as it instigates massive civil unrest in the capital, undoubtedly has not only strong financial backing, but also a network of brainstormers behind him.

In the middle of 2012, Suthep began his civic movement by sponsoring the establishment of the Thai TVD satellite channel - and assigned Sonthiyan Chuenruetai-naitham to be in charge of the station.

Sonthiyan, who had earlier run the T News agency and T News satellite channel, has played an important role in spearheading anti-Thaksin regime campaigns in association with the Siam Samakkhi group since 2009.

To achieve a strong nationwide network, Sonthiyan recruited Chaiwat Surawichai and his team to establish the Political and Human Resource Development Institute as his "think tank".

With all the resources ready, Suthep embarked upon his civic movement by launching "Public Forum" rallies in Chumphon, Trang, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Songkhla, broadcasting live the events via the Blue Sky, T News and Thai TVD channels.

After some time, Suthep's Public Forum events were turned into "Reveal the Truth" rallies run by the Democrats every Saturday with more than 60 rallies across the country.

Sonthiyan, or Toi, a former left-wing Ramkhamhaeng student, revealed on his personal Facebook page that his ties with Suthep began when the Democrats became the main opposition party in 2011.

"Suthep refused to take up any position in the party because he wanted to devote himself to [opposing] the Thaksin regime. He wanted to wash his hands of politics," Sonthiyan said.

Sonthiyan, who once had faith in revolutionary theories in line with Marxist and Leninist ideologies, has changed his beliefs and adopted constitutional monarchy as the new way to go.

"For 80 years, Thais have been deprived of power after the country changed from absolute monarchy to military dictatorship to capitalist dictatorship. The Thaksin regime represents capitalist dictatorship that wants to run the country with absolute control, overlooking the fact that people have hearts and intellect," he said. "I have never declared that I am a co-leader. Suthep and I worked together from day one as partners and I demand nothing in return."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-09

• Like 1

"POLITICIAN-turned-revolutionary"

no, he is not a revolutionary, he is reactionary. Rightly described as "ultra monarchist" and "nationalist" by news agencies, like AFP.

he leans backwards, not to the peoples power of majority, but the power of political class over the majority.

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 1

presented

"POLITICIAN-turned-revolutionary"

no, he is not a revolutionary, he is reactionary. Rightly described as "ultra monarchist" and "nationalist" by news agencies, like AFP.

he leans backwards, not to the peoples power of majority, but the power of political class over the majority.

And AFP has notoriously misrepresented events in Thailand and people like London Thai have no understadning whatsoever of Thai politics, or politics per se.

Kind of funny to hear the constant media references to the current protests being "right-wing" or "royalist"...

And then have The Nation article above profiling one of Suthep's key lieutenants as being a former left-wing university activist who had in the past studied and embraced Marxist and Leninist ideaologies.

I don't know or claim to know what makes Suthep tick...other than money, I presume.

But it's clear to me that a lot of the regular people protesting on the street aren't right-wing or royalist, any more than Thais in general. They just want an end to what Sonthiyan in the article above aptly calls the "capitalist dictatorship" of the Thaksin regime.

Can we please bring back General Prem Tinsulanonda, just prop him up in a chair, blow off the cobwebs, dust him down, a bit of lick and polish. Play some old Jazz music on all tv and radio stations, broken only by some army broadcast to stay calm.

Can we please get the Thai people to forget about "playing" politics, please, its not going to work.

Please just let the experts run the country, it worked before it'll work again.

http://en.wikipedia....em_Tinsulanonda

post-110827-0-18419700-1386558464_thumb.

I was going to suggest a different approach. Let's just STOP all the pretenses...

Hold the new elections, and then have Thaksin in Dubai named as the new Prime Minister.

He and his Cabinet/Family can run the country from there instead of having all the Thailand-based puppets and stand-ins...

At least then, the Thai government will have true transparency.