Arriving With No Visa

comming into thailand from the u.s. you can stay in the kingdom with no visa for up to 30 days....my question is how do you get a 30 day extention giving you a total of 60 days.....can you get the extention when you arrive at the airport from thai immigratrion.....or do you have to go into bangkok or maybe chiang mai and do it there....also when you ask for the extention it will start at the end of the first 30 days...

for example if you enter on the 1st of june and then ask for the extention you should be able to stay until the 30th of july....is this correct.....and what is the price in baht for the extention......thanks for the help.....

You need to obtain a visa prior to entry to stay 60 days. There is no such thing as a 30 day extension of a 30 entry without visa.

Or you take a trip to another country and return. But better to have the visa in the first place as many airlines will not allow you to fly without a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you do not have a visa in your passport.

I thought you could extend the 30 day visa that you get when you arrive for 10 days if you go to the immigration center?

You can but its not applicable in this case, notwithstanding as Lopburi points out the possible problems with boarding the plane in the first place.

:o

You need to obtain a visa prior to entry to stay 60 days. There is no such thing as a 30 day extension of a 30 entry without visa.

Or you take a trip to another country and return. But better to have the visa in the first place as many airlines will not allow you to fly without a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you do not have a visa in your passport.

Is some of this noise about return tickets coming out of Bangkok?

I had my very first run in re. the return ticket while checking in for a flight to Phuket from KL.

My r/t ticket originated in Phuket. Anyway the malaysia airlines check-in agent began to question my ticket being one way. I countered by asking where was this coming from as I have made this trip on multiple occasions the same way. She intimated Bangkok was asking them to ask for return tickets.

I countered with an offense and pointed out that my ticket originated in Thailand and that if she had taken the time to "look" at my passport she might have seen the one year no-immB visa in my passport and if she wanted to continue this "conversation" she needed to call a supervisor.(she got "small" very quickly and wisely kept her mouth shut)

Edited by kasi

Is some of this noise about return tickets coming out of Bangkok?

It's a standing rule by the airlines that a passenger without visa must have a valid onward- or return-ticket confirmed with a flight within the 30-visa-free days. (In your case you had a visa that the counter staff obviously did not see).

Thai immigration resp. MFA has no direct rule for a ticket, but a monetary rule (Baht 20,000).

If, however, entry is denied by the immigration, the airline pays Baht 20,000 fine and flies you out.