That special "Thai kiss.'

infinity11

It's not just a Thai thing, they do it in Cambodia as well. Interestingly, I was told by a Cambodian whose viewpoint/opinion I value that prior to European contact, there was no romantic lip-kissing there, the sniff-kiss was the only form of kissing done for both affection (such as that shown to children and relatives) as well as what was done in the throes of passion.

She said that she herself, and many people of rural origin, to this day see kissing on the mouth as dirty and disgusting (though others have long since adopted the mouth-kissing practice as part of sex).

Note that this doesn't mean they don't put their mouths on other parts of their sex partners' bodies--I mean, c'mon, humans have been doing everything to each other with the various parts of their bodies that can be done for tens of thousands of years--but the specific mouth taboo is interesting (and not that illogical, as the mouth is in fact a very dirty part of the body!).

It would be interesting to see if the Thais traditionally (pre-European contact) also had the same distaste for passionate mouth-kissing. It's clear that in this day and age, they've pretty well gotten used to it, though! tongue.png

• Like 2

My ex used to do it all the time and tell tell me I smelled like rice. It was a compliment, I hope. And she wasn't a farm girl either.

She meant ''Lice''..............rolleyes.gif .....................laugh.png

clap2.gif They do sometimes pronounce the 'L' as an 'R'...

Yes, it was quaint as all buggery all those years ago but in the end, you can't beat a good old spit swap for an indicator of depth of feeling.

right oncheesy.gif and what about great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts too clap2.gifw00t.gif ( just couldn't resist)

• Like 2

It's not just a Thai thing, they do it in Cambodia as well. Interestingly, I was told by a Cambodian whose viewpoint/opinion I value that prior to European contact, there was no romantic lip-kissing there, the sniff-kiss was the only form of kissing done for both affection (such as that shown to children and relatives) as well as what was done in the throes of passion.

She said that she herself, and many people of rural origin, to this day see kissing on the mouth as dirty and disgusting (though others have long since adopted the mouth-kissing practice as part of sex).

Note that this doesn't mean they don't put their mouths on other parts of their sex partners' bodies--I mean, c'mon, humans have been doing everything to each other with the various parts of their bodies that can be done for tens of thousands of years--but the specific mouth taboo is interesting (and not that illogical, as the mouth is in fact a very dirty part of the body!).

It would be interesting to see if the Thais traditionally (pre-European contact) also had the same distaste for passionate mouth-kissing. It's clear that in this day and age, they've pretty well gotten used to it, though! tongue.png

Yeah, have heard that here from people, of course, in a simpler way. Just have heard conversations about how falangs want to kiss or asked straight out why we kiss. Then, surprisingly, I asked a few middle-aged women (who were the ones asking me about the kissing) "haven't you ever kissed your husband?" and I got 2 answers--1) "no" and 2) "maybe sometimes in bed."

And definitely kissing my wife on the mouth in public here is a no-no, although every once in a while we just say "to hell with it" and go ahead, but I am really talking about a peck (already scandalous!!!!).

Would be interesting to read a history of it.

Interesting thread, no hatred spewed or superiority complexes raising ugly heads.

Nice to see. My good woman 'sniff kisses' me all the time, and I like it. I also reciprocate.

Nothing smells better than my wife's hair, especially behind her ears. Yum! If the French perfume geniuses could bottle that they would be billionaires.clap2.gif

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

hahahaha, I know the first time my wife did it I got a bit worried I had BO and did a quick sniff test myself when she was not near me, thankfully I asked about it and she informed me that it is how a lot of thais show their effection. She also said that when you kiss in public a lot of thais regard the woman as "cheap/a prostitute" as it just isnt done by "good" women. Now we have been together for quite a while she has accepted that I dont care who knows how much I love her and have no qualms showing my effection for her, to be honest I think she likes it because most thai husbands show nothing towards their wives at all at the best of times.

• Like 1