Busy Signal Sparks Cell-phone Stress

george

CONSUMER COMPLAINTS

Busy signal sparks cell-phone stress

BANGKOK: -- Users incensed over inability to make calls in evening, claim new promotions overwhelmed networks

Cell-phone users in many parts of the country are complaining about services that have become inaccessible at different times of the day, particularly in the evening.

The worsening cell-phone traffic jams have sparked calls for the telecommunications watchdog to supervise marketing and call promotion campaigns by mobile-phone operators.

Thapakorn Promsopa, 22, an engineering student at Khon Kaen University, is a typical disgruntled customer. "I have a lot of problems using my cell phone," he said. "Sometimes, I become so frustrated that I want to throw it away."

He said his problems usually arise between 7pm and 10pm.

"When I want to make a call, the cell phone too often tells me that its network is busy," Thapakorn said. As well, his calls are sometimes transferred to wrong numbers, despite having dialled correctly.

He called on relevant agencies to ensure a good standard of service for mobile-phone users.

Another Khon Kaen university student, Nattiyakorn Inthisaeng, said it had become very difficult to use mobile phones, particularly if she wanted to call someone using another network. "The services are very bad from 6pm to 10pm," she said.

Nattiyakorn said she partly solves the problem by keeping two SIM cards from different service providers.

"When one of them doesn't work, I can try the other. It's also easier to reach people by calling them on the network they use. With SIM cards from two different operators, my chance of reaching others is higher," she said.

Chiang Mai University student Assarapak Panjaroen said cell-phone services were failing at night because there were so many users during this time - probably because of recently launched promotional packages. Cell-phone shop owner Ittirit Chunrat said customers now prefer to have two SIM cards to ensure they can make contact with others. "It becomes very difficult to connect with people on different service networks," he said.

Ittirit added that customers were showing immense interest in new promotional packages being offered by different mobile operators.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board is checking consumer complaints to see if any of them concern cell-phone service problems. "If there are complaints filed with us, we can take action," said deputy secretary-general Nirote Jaroenprakob.

He said the board could review the advertisements of mobile phone services and determine whether the operators have exaggerated the quality of service.

"If the services fall short of what they describe in their advertisements, the operators will face legal action," Nirote said.

National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) deputy secretary-general Manas Songsaeng said he intended to propose that the commission supervise the promotional packages offered by mobile phone service providers.

"The NTC should review these

packages before they are launched, to ensure that cell-phone users don't suffer any adverse impact," he said.

In related news, software being used by the AIS signalling gateway in Bangkok suffered a technical glitch at 11.45am yesterday. The problem took 90 minutes to solve.

During that time most AIS subscribers in Bangkok were unable to call out, but mobile phone users on other networks were still able to contact AIS subscribers.

AIS executive vice president for operations Wichian Mektrakarn denied that the technical problem stemmed from call congestion in the network caused by the company's heavy call promotions.

"It had nothing to do with call traffic," he said, adding that AIS had established a signalling gateway in each of the four regions of Thailand.

--The Nation 2006-05-11

System bugs cause crash at AIS

Mobile leader Advanced Info Service's network collapsed for almost two hours yesterday, stranding cellular users unable to complete calls.

AIS denied suggestions that heavy network congestion due to cut-rate promotions were responsible for the breakdown.

But industry experts insisted that this was a ''precarious sign'' of how mobile operators coped with surging traffic.

AIS customers yesterday were disconnected from 11.45 am to 1.10 pm due to a temporary shut down in signal control.

Major clients in Bangkok and some upcountry provinces were affected.

Wichien Mektrakarn, executive vice-president for operations, said the problem was due to malfunctioning signal gateways. He added that the company had yet to find a root cause of the problem, but indications were that it was a virus.

''The failure had nothing to do with heavy congestion since it collapsed during an off-peak period,'' Mr Wichien said.

Anuparp Thiralarp, president of Thailand Telecommunication Management Academy (TTMA), warned that AIS's system could be damaged by people attempting to redial failed calls.

He blamed unusual calling habits, from teenage users in particular, for straining the network.

Operators have been rushing to launch cheap tariffs to attract as many customers as possible ahead of a new interconnection regime to be announced by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC).

Mr Anuparp said mobile contract agreements excluded traffic quality guarantees, leading in limited options for customers frustrated by poor service from operators.

- Bangkok post 11/05/06

I am getting realy pissed off with this, for the last month or so i have not been able to make calls in the evening usually at around 5 or 6pm until about 9 or 10 pm. NETWORK BUSY redial?

Same for me too, I also have trouble trying to send sms messages during that time as well :o

He blamed unusual calling habits, from teenage users in particular, for straining the network.

That's right. Blame the kids, never your fault for not planning ahead?? :o:D

Sometimes I have tried calling up to 20 times without a connection. Sometimes I manage to connect but get cut off in the middle of the call. Now I have simply given up calling people after 7 pm and turn my mobile off.

I complained to AIS recently and they replied something about "maybe the problem will be solved when we start charging extra for calls to other operators". What are they planning now? 1 or 2 baht surcharge for calling DTAC or Orange? How will we be charged? When the connection is made or just the attempt?

I would love to throw my mobile away but I need it for my work. I certainly hope things improve.

Dtac callers seem to have no problem calling an AIS phone, but try to call a Dtac number after seven in the evening from an AIS phone...."network busy" is all you will get. All AIS have to say on the matter is "sorry it is busy time for phone calls"

I have just signed up for Dtac, and will unfortunately have to carry two phones till I have contacted everybody with my new number. Definately inconvenient, but think of the pleasure I will derive posting my severed SIM card back to AIS :o

Mobile leader Advanced Info Service's network collapsed for almost two hours yesterday, stranding cellular users unable to complete calls.

AIS denied suggestions that heavy network congestion due to cut-rate promotions were responsible for the breakdown.

But industry experts insisted that this was a ''precarious sign'' of how mobile operators coped with surging traffic.

Uh-uh could cheerless ex leader hold the country to ransom via the telecom network?

oops, no sorry as it is now owned by Singapore right? or is it? or not? or what?

Actually it hasn't affected us yet, we use different comms (being a comms engineer myself) :o

Heng,

I would very gladly dump my AIS sim card . But the problem is during my course of business, (had this number for more than 7 yrs! )so many of my contacts have my name card with that ais phone number. Not possible to inform so many people. Nearly half of them are overseas suppliers.

If only we can retain our old number but allowed to switch to other service provider....I would certainly dump AIS :o

So, to solve the 'network busy' problem, I bought 2 other sim card with new numbers from' Happy'.

They work well! :D

The CAT government monopoly, who gives licences to the mobile phone operators and collects exorbitant fees for it should make sure that the operators have the necessary infrastructure, but does the CAT do this?

When, for example, an AIS user calls a DTAC user, AIS keeps the entire call charge and DTAC gets nothing, and vice versa. Is this a good system?

Apparently, there is a lot of opportunism in this fast growing and highly competitive market, and not quite enough coordination and cooperation. Sometimes, things have to get worse and when all providers begin to suffer badly enough they may come to their senses and join hands to improve the system. Until then, you can but grin and bear it.

---------------

Maestro

Heng,

I would very gladly dump my AIS sim card . But the problem is during my course of business, (had this number for more than 7 yrs! )so many of my contacts have my name card with that ais phone number. Not possible to inform so many people. Nearly half of them are overseas suppliers.

If only we can retain our old number but allowed to switch to other service provider....I would certainly dump AIS :o

So, to solve the 'network busy' problem, I bought 2 other sim card with new numbers from' Happy'.

They work well! :D

SA,

I just use them because they have the best coverage. Same number for about 7-8 years now as well. Was also lucky enough to get a number with the last 4 digits the same, very easy for customers and friends to remember. Could care less who owns the network.

:D

Heng,

Agreed that AIS was the 'best coverage' ..... But that was about 2 yrs ago. Right now, during the evening period, AIS sucks big time! :o ( Same as 1-2-call )

Good thing 'Happy' has better connection during such a time.

Very good idea about getting the last 4 digits of the old phone number on a New sim card. I will start looking around. Txs !

Dtac callers seem to have no problem calling an AIS phone, but try to call a Dtac number after seven in the evening from an AIS phone...."network busy" is all you will get. All AIS have to say on the matter is "sorry it is busy time for phone calls"

I have just signed up for Dtac, and will unfortunately have to carry two phones till I have contacted everybody with my new number. Definately inconvenient, but think of the pleasure I will derive posting my severed SIM card back to AIS :o

Exact same as me, I was thinking of going to Dtac also but it,s so inconvenient, I may look for a dual sim adapter which allows the use of 2 sim cards.

Dtac callers seem to have no problem calling an AIS phone, but try to call a Dtac number after seven in the evening from an AIS phone...."network busy" is all you will get.

On the contrary, I have a DTAC phone and its quite often that I cannot get through to AIS numbers ("network busy"). It seems to always be the same few numbers though, so maybe it is related to the section of Bangkok these users stay in.

Dtac callers seem to have no problem calling an AIS phone, but try to call a Dtac number after seven in the evening from an AIS phone...."network busy" is all you will get.

On the contrary, I have a DTAC phone and its quite often that I cannot get through to AIS numbers ("network busy"). It seems to always be the same few numbers though, so maybe it is related to the section of Bangkok these users stay in.

I just bought a dual sim card holder for my phone, it cost £5 including delivery, no need for 2 phones i can have both networks in the one phone, works for most models

CONSUMER COMPLAINTS

Busy signal sparks cell-phone stress

BANGKOK: -- Users incensed over inability to make calls in evening, claim new promotions overwhelmed networks

Ittirit added that customers were showing immense interest in new promotional packages being offered by different mobile operators.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board is checking consumer complaints to see if any of them concern cell-phone service problems. "If there are complaints filed with us, we can take action," said deputy secretary-general Nirote Jaroenprakob.

National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) deputy secretary-general Manas Songsaeng said he intended to propose that the commission supervise the promotional packages offered by mobile phone service providers.

"The NTC should review these packages before they are launched, to ensure that cell-phone users don't suffer any adverse impact," he said.

It is not the promotion or services that are worried, but the health damages on those long conversations that have side affect. :o:D

Leading scientists have cut down or modified their personal use of mobile phones as fears mount that they can damage health.

New research to be published next month links mobile phone use to memory loss.

The use of mobile phones has already been linked to headaches, fatigue, damage to the immune system and cancer.

Professor Colin Blakemore, Waynflete professor of physiology at Oxford University and a member of the official body that regulates the use of mobile phones in the UK, is one of those who have cut back their use of mobile phones.

Professor Blakemore said there was growing evidence that mobile phones could affect the functioning of the brain.

Professor Blakemore said nerve cells were influenced by electromagnetic radiation of the type produced by mobile phones. He said the phones were also placed close to areas in the brain that regulated short-term memory, as well as areas that controlled heart function and blood pressure.

He told News Online: "It would not surprise me if there was a small temporary effect on the electrical response of nerve cells when the phone is in use which could impact on the brain's ability to process information."

Professor Blakemore said he had experienced problems concentrating while using mobile phones.

"I have experienced by attention being distracted rather more than it should have been just by the conversation I was having," he said.

However, Professor Blakemore said the effect of mobile phones was likely only to be temporary, and relatively small. He said reports that suggested mobile phones could cause permanent damage should be treated with great caution.

Update:

DTAC chief says AIS needs to do more to solve congestion problem

BANGKOK: -- As consumer complaints about mobile-phone network congestion rise, second-ranked operator DTAC has urged the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to force market leader AIS to step up work on new network links.

DTAC chief executive Sigve Brekke says the high number of AIS customers making calls to other networks has been the main factor behind current problems.

Consumers attracted by rock-bottom tariffs have been making more and longer calls than they normally would. Critics say the cellular companies have only themselves to blame for users' frustrations and complaints, given that some of the price offers don't even cover operators' costs.

Mr Brekke said call traffic from AIS numbers to the DTAC had increased by 30-40%, while third-ranked True Move was facing similar traffic from AIS.

The successful-connection rates for DTAC customers making calls to AIS, normally at 50%, had fallen to 20-30% during peak evening periods. The rates for AIS customers have also dropped from the normal 50% to 30-40%.

Mr Brekke said DTAC had no problem handling calls within its network, on which utilisation was now 90%.

''We have no problem within our network call traffic. But existing cross-network call problems are resulting in a surge in call attempts made by DTAC users.''

He said AIS had installed only 30 E1 links with DTAC's direct gateways as of mid-April, and nothing since.

AIS made a ''gentlemen's agreement'' with DTAC and True Move last week to expand direct links with 750 E1 (circuits) each. The expansion work, at an estimated investment of 100 million baht, is expected to be completed within 90 days.

''Our linking expansion process with AIS has been very slow. Traffic will continuously go up even with or without price wars,'' he said, adding that the problem was more severe than last year when call-completion rates fell to single digits.

''AIS should open its mind ... to help resolve the problem together in the interests of consumers.''

Mr Brekke asked the NTC to accelerate clearing the congestion problem, which he believed would not be eliminated as long as heavy competition persists.

But Wichien Mektrakarn, executive vice-president for operations of AIS, insisted that his company, with every intention to co-operate with its rivals, would consider future investment in direct interconnection gateways with smaller operators as needed.

However, he said, his company's engineers had agreed that AIS needed to increase cross-network links with DTAC and True Move with 750 E1 circuits.

He also warned that congestion could not be addressed in a sustainable manner through direct-link expansion, as long as operators continued their price wars.

--Bangkok Post 2006-05-13

What is this dual sim you can get for your phone...having 2 numbers that are coming through to just one mobile would make life so much easier for me...anyone got any tips where i can get this done?

The one I had worked like this:

It was a replacement battery with a sim card slot and ribbon cable built in, and it fit snugly in the phone.

Only one sim could be active at a time.

Switching between them was done by either a code I keyed in (soft switch) or by switching the phone off and then back on (hard switch).

Either method shut the phone down, and when the phone powered up again, it was under the command of the previously inactive sim.

When someone tried to call the non active sim, it was as though they were calling a phone that was switched off; kind of a pain.

I bought the thing in a tiny roadside phone shop in a small town upcountry, so it shouldn't be too hard to track one down in the big city.

Hope this helps.

jb

Leading scientists have cut down or modified their personal use of mobile phones as fears mount that they can damage health.

New research to be published next month links mobile phone use to memory loss.

The use of mobile phones has already been linked to headaches, fatigue, damage to the immune system and cancer.

Professor Colin Blakemore, Waynflete professor of physiology at Oxford University and a member of the official body that regulates the use of mobile phones in the UK, is one of those who have cut back their use of mobile phones.

Professor Blakemore said there was growing evidence that mobile phones could affect the functioning of the brain.

Professor Blakemore said nerve cells were influenced by electromagnetic radiation of the type produced by mobile phones. He said the phones were also placed close to areas in the brain that regulated short-term memory, as well as areas that controlled heart function and blood pressure.

He told News Online: "It would not surprise me if there was a small temporary effect on the electrical response of nerve cells when the phone is in use which could impact on the brain's ability to process information."

Professor Blakemore said he had experienced problems concentrating while using mobile phones.

"I have experienced by attention being distracted rather more than it should have been just by the conversation I was having," he said.

However, Professor Blakemore said the effect of mobile phones was likely only to be temporary, and relatively small. He said reports that suggested mobile phones could cause permanent damage should be treated with great caution.

What a load of BS. We live in a rather large electromagnetic field... The earth, and have done for a few billion years.

Most studies done on the use of mobile phones and especially cell towers are highly inaccurate, and impossible to conduct due to the lack of ability to control the test envrionment. People in the studies are often exposed to many many other factors in their daily lives that seem to be so easily discounted to suit the prearranged ideas of the "scientist".

A good example is a university office block with a cell tower on the roof. People started getting brain tumors in high numbers within the office. There was a wave of scientists that proclaimed the culprit to be the cell tower, and called for its removal. It turned out to be chemicals from the science lab that had been entering into the offices aircon system.

On another note, Im having the same problems with AIS, although I seem to be connected to wrong numbers alot, instead of getting a network busy signal. I solved this by getting a dual sim card connection installed on my pda. One DTAC and one AIS... no more problem.

Edited by VanZam