Australian Old Age Pension

Sparkles

I have been working in Bangkok for nearly 5 years . Next year I hit 65 and was looking forward to receiving an Australian Pension. Initial enquiries show I may be very disappointed having been told I must return to Australia get the pension and stay for 2 years. After that they will lodge pension in any nominated bank.. words used were "after 2 years we dont care where you live"

After being a continuos tax payer in Aus for 42 years I am appalled at this requirement if correct. Apparently Thailand does not hace reciprocal rights with Australia unlike Germany ,UK etc.

I have recently married and to move to Australia would obviously mean my Thai wife would have to relinquish her job in Finance in which has spent 9 years.

Any information to help would be greatly appreciated

I have been working in Bangkok for nearly 5 years . Next year I hit 65 and was looking forward to receiving an Australian Pension. Initial enquiries show I may be very disappointed having been told I must return to Australia get the pension and stay for 2 years. After that they will lodge pension in any nominated bank.. words used were "after 2 years we dont care where you live"

After being a continuos tax payer in Aus for 42 years I am appalled at this requirement if correct. Apparently Thailand does not hace reciprocal rights with Australia unlike Germany ,UK etc.

I have recently married and to move to Australia would obviously mean my Thai wife would have to relinquish her job in Finance in which has spent 9 years.

Use an Austrailan bank,and address.It is none of their business where you live.I assume they direct deposit? :o:D

Use an Austrailan bank,and address.It is none of their business where you live.I assume they direct deposit? :o:D

Does that work? When your passport is swiped out at immigration, that information gets sent to the ATO and other relevant govt departments, which stops payments which you are ineligible for overseas.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the case with things like the dole/disability benefits being cut off when you leave the country.

This is mostly done on a case to case basis. When you apply if you dont get the answer you want ask to speak with a social worker and see if they can sort it out. You always have the right to appeal any decision they make. If after that your still not doing any good see a lawyer and perhaps your local member. If you receive your pension never ever leave Australia without notifying Centerlink first, they say they liked to be notified 6 weeks before you leave. If you dont let them know they will cut your pension on the next pay day. Also always let them know within 24 hours that you have returned, you can do this by phone but its a good idea to report in person. You can have your pension payed direct into any Australian bank and withdraw it here with your ATM card. Its always a good idea to have two accounts just incase the ATM card stuffs up or somthing. Best of luck and dont take any shit from them.

Cheers Tony. :o

Uk has similar penalties.

Loss of healthcare benefits, loss of indexation on pensions :D

I guess they want you to spend their money in their country. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Thanks for assistance. Its not as simple as registering and returning as son as your pasport is swiped the info goes back to Centrelink and you are automatically cancelled ..if only it was that easy. Just had the same conversation with Medicare when I returned. So looks like special apeals etc . The Australian Governement has money coming out of its ears at the moment and they still persist with this nonsense. Australia the lucky country but only if you are a refugee or a life long dole bludger.

Thanks for assistance. Its not as simple as registering and returning as son as your pasport is swiped the info goes back to Centrelink and you are automatically cancelled ..if only it was that easy. Just had the same conversation with Medicare when I returned. So looks like special apeals etc . The Australian Governement has money coming out of its ears at the moment and they still persist with this nonsense. Australia the lucky country but only if you are a refugee or a life long dole bludger.

They are giving all of this money (Millions $ ) to other countrys in SEA but the Aussie pensioner gets screwed every time.

Sparkles Are you having problems with medicare also. I would be interested to know about that as I havnt been home for 4 years.

Cheers :o

If you have been paying Australian tax all your life, you deserve a pension.

If not, tough titties. Usually expatriates avoid paying Australian tax, and earn a lot more than they did in Australia.

If not, tough titties. Usually expatriates avoid paying Australian tax, and earn a lot more than they did in Australia.

On my last trip to Australia . I presented myself at a medicare office to claim a small amount of money. What can only be described a blue rinsed ,beast had great pleasure in informing me that ' "Do you know that after 5 years out of the country you cant claim on Medicare ?" Of course she had on the screen my departures and arrivals. "Youve been in Thailand" she rabbited on. 'I didnt realise it was crime " was my reply as I left.

But on serious note I wish enough Ausralian expats would address this anomaly of pensions and medicare benefits. After 42 years constantly working ans paying tax inAustrlia I think I deserve more than this and I am sure there are many others in similar situations or perhaps will in the future.

Yes I have paid income tax in Australia all of my life and now the Govt wants to screw pensioners evert way they can.

So Wamberal your just a f*** wit and dont know what your talking about. :o

Sparkles,try this site.It will give you a fairly accurate picture.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...rseas/index.htm

Yes I have paid income tax in Australia all of my life and now the Govt wants to screw pensioners evert way they can.

So Wamberal your just a f*** wit and dont know what your talking about. :o

Sorry, I can only use clear, correct, English. I said "if you have been paying Australian tax all your life, you deserve a pension". If that applies to you, okay. What is wrong with that?

I worked offshore for most of my life, retired at 55 (and could have retired earlier) and my wife and I have a good income, with no government assistance. The vast majority of working expatriates would fall into a similar situation.

If that irritates you, tough titties. :D

They are giving all of this money (Millions $ ) to other countrys in SEA but the Aussie pensioner gets screwed every time.

Sparkles Are you having problems with medicare also. I would be interested to know about that as I havnt been home for 4 years.

Cheers :D

I was away a long time, the bastards at Medicare made me wait 10 months for a card.... :D

The decision was made by a reffo from South Africaaa....... go figure that one!

Can anyone remember the nic of the TV member who was a manager for Centerlink?

Patong Bob & Samran seem to have a good handle on Centrelink & pensions.

Here's another Link.

Here's the results of the Centrelink Search. :D

Oh........ and great attitude Wamberal , the words smug and arrogant come to mind. :o

• 1 year later...

Previous inputs read with interest. Unfortunately only just caught up with the issue. Having been through the same hoops myself, perhaps I can add some additional insight.

My case: Returned to Australia in 2003. Applied for and was paid the pension. Later I went to rejoin my wife in Thailand, but informed by CL that, they would stop my pension. Next call to CL, "load of rubbish", they would not stop my pension. Next call, yes they would stop my pension, then they did. Appeal, appeal, appeal, all rejected. Much later a letter to say that, I would be paid on my return to Australia. 2007, back to Australia. From CL "no we wont pay your pension". Appeal rejected.

Since 2003, I have been trying to get a job in Australia (approx 400 applications), but due the discrimination against older people in Australia, virtually impossible. The idea of working again in Australia, was to work for 2 years plus, clear of CL, then apply for the pension again, but needed some income till i could get a job, however, after the last rejection in Australia and within a month, I was working as a consultant in the Middle East. Enough to keep the wolf from the door for a bit.

Unemployment Benefit - If over 65 you are not eligible to apply, even if you are not drawing the Age Pension.

Special benefit - Payable after deduction of any income. In my case payment (after appeal) A$80 PF!

Some dealing with the following, if anybody has any questions:

Termination of the Australian/UK agreement on pensions (terminated by Australia).

Compensation for British Nuclear Test Veterans.

Prorata UK Service Pensions.

Reasons for non approval of a wife's visa for Australia